• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

International students serve through packaging gifts

Ameristudent advisor supports Operation Christmas Child

[/media-credit] International students assemble Operation Christmas Child boxes before heading to Dollar Tree.

Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child (OCC) intends to distribute gift boxes to these children, providing them with the joy of a physical and spiritual gift. According to their website, OCC intends to further the gospel of Jesus Christ through the distribution of the gift boxes.

Ameristudent international advisor Brooke Stobbe encourages her students to support OCC through packing boxes. Of her 21 students, Stobbe took 14 international students to Dollar Tree filling 17 boxes that will be donated in support of OCC, Nov. 8.

“Today was really exciting,” Stobbe said. “Today was the day where usually we meet after school for ESL (English as a second language) class. The entire international student group came to the store, and we went in with our Operation Christmas Child boxes.”

OCC encourages donations of boxes filled with age appropriate hygiene products, a “wow item”, toys and crafts. In observance of the gift’s overall purpose, OCC restricts items or toys related to war, foodstuffs, breakable items and medications.

Valuing the opportunity to serve others, Serena Zhao, ‘19, packs a 5-9 aged girl’s gift box with a stuffed animal, oral hygiene products, toys and coloring books.

“A group of international students went to Dollar Tree to get gifts for for Operation Christmas Child children’s (boxes),” Zhao said. “It’s a great opportunity for us to get involved in the school. Most of the (international) students can get an idea of what donations are. We don’t usually do donations in China.”

OCC distributes the boxes they recieve to locations around the world affected by natural disasters, conflict, impoverished areas and to children residing on Native American reservations.

Sam Cross, ’19, interviews Serena Zhao, ’19, on International student support of Operation Christmas Child, Nov. 8.

[/media-credit] Students fill OCC boxes with toys, hygiene products, a “wow item”, toys and crafts. 

Auston Ye, ‘20, shares his satisfaction in helping and serving others. He recalls donating money to impoverished children in China.

“I came out to help the poor children,” Ye said. “I enjoyed doing this because it makes me feel good to help others. I donated money while I lived in China to help poor children living in mountain villages.”

Advisor Brooke Stobbe utilizes events like OCC to encourage her students to engage with campus events.  

“One of my biggest goals in running this group is that the international students become more a part of the student body. Most of them have never service projects like this before, and seeing them getting involved in a meaningful way is important.”

Following the store visit, Stobbe treated her students with Boba tea, where they packaged their gifts, labeling them for shipping.

Currently among the high school student body, approximately 200 boxes have been donated. Senior Anthony Diaz donated 100 of the boxes.

Leadership hopes that more students will continue to donate boxes in support of Samaritan’s Purse and Operation Christmas Child’s goal of reaching children with the love of Christ.

Brooke Stobbe recaps what the international students did after school, Nov. 8.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by The Feather (@thefeatheronline) on

For more articles, read ABC30 producer shares view on media biasFor more on campus news, read Spanish teacher Rachel Rodriguez orders Toledo’s food with class

Sam Cross can be reached via email and via Twitter.