• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

COLUMN: #EverydayJournalism

COLUMN%3A+%23EverydayJournalism

Editor in chief shares journalistic aspects of our daily lives

[/media-credit] Kamryn Schultz, ’19, joined The Feather her freshman year and continued to grow in both her writing and communication skills.

I always found myself drawn to writing. Putting thoughts and ideas on a piece of paper or typing them on a computer screen gave me a sense of freedom, allowing me to express a part of myself that I struggled to share out loud.

When I took journalism my first day of high school, I was excited to have the opportunity to give others an idea of who I was and what I had to offer on a multi-media platform. As I continued to write articles, meet new people and witness exciting events, I realized journalism plays a role in many different aspects of our daily lives.

Journalism allows people to gather, create, analyze and present news and information to others. Through social media, TV, newspapers, magazines, articles, and even blogs we are able to inform people about important events and experiences that happen both in our neighborhoods and around the world.

Different kinds of information, news and events are shared daily with millions of people, whether it be through a newspaper on the kitchen counter, a broadcast you skimmed through on TV, or even a simple tweet one of your friends sent you. Especially in the 21st century, people now have access to multiple social media platforms that spread information like wildfire.

We are all journalists, whether we realize it or not. Having the ability to film or snap a picture of anything at any given moment gives us access to capture events as they happen. Sending photos, videos and short messages to friends and family through social media gives people information and informs them of important events.

There are many ways to become a journalist and spread news in your own community and around the world. By developing a passion for storytelling and adding basic facts and information, you can create something that informs the people and gains you lasting trust from viewers.

[/media-credit] Schultz works every day to spread news to her peers as well as others in her community and around the world.

But journalism is becoming extinct. Hardcore journalism, that is. Nowadays news platforms publish articles with clickbait titles and gossip headlines. Content isn’t based on factual information. Instead the truth is bent, giving the people “what they want” in the form of celebrity affairs and scandalous drama.

We have the chance to change that, with today’s daily accessible resources and people who strive to give the right information to society. By reacting daily to reliable news sources and spreading the information around your own community, journalism can easily be incorporated into our activities and events.

Use the hashtag #EverydayJournalism to voice ways you do day-in-day-out reporting & coverage for your community. Use the hashtag #SJW2019 to share important ways you use journalism in your life.

For more information on Scholastic Journalism Week, read Student Press Law Center declares 2019 “Year of the Student Journalist. For more articles read Professionals share importance of First Amendment freedoms.

Kamryn Schultz can be reached via Twitter and via email.