• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Senior reflection: Kamryn Schultz

Senior reflection: Kamryn Schultz

[/media-credit] Kamryn Schultz has enjoyed her past nine years at FCS and will be attending the Joshua Wilderness Institute program in the fall.

Andy Bernard once said, “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days, before you’ve actually left them.” From the moment I stepped onto the old elementary campus that no longer exists, to the moment I will step off that auditorium stage with diploma in hand, there’s not one memory I wish I could take back. Not one experience I would erase, not one encounter I would forget. Because those moments changed my life. They made me who I am today and who I will become.

It’s difficult to describe in words how much this school means to me. My grandfather, Gary “Papa” Schultz, helped build the foundations of FCS, and my dad brought our family back to experience it for ourselves.

My first steps were on the FC gym court. I made my first group of friends on the campus playground. I even learned how to sing in the SMC. Those memories were made here, at a small private Christian school with only about 40 kids in my graduating class.

Fresno Christian taught me more than any public school ever could, and shaped me to be the person I am today. I love the small school environment because it gave me the opportunity to branch out, try new things, and be a more outgoing person. I have made so many connections and friendships through the school and I am so grateful I grew up at FCS.

The school opened up a new learning path for me and allowed me to explore what I am really interested in. That includes worship, leadership, ensemble, CSF, mentorship programs, and of course, The Feather Online.

Although my passion for writing started in junior high, I never even thought of joining the high school journalism team my first year in. I was a timid and shy 13-year-old who never had any time on her hands, and was too focused on making it big in the sport of swimming. But during the summer, my class of video productions got switched to journalism, and my life changed forever.

[/media-credit] Schultz came to Fresno Christian in kindergarten and first grade, but left and came back in sixth grade, giving her a total of nine years at FCS.

The infamous Greg Stobbe. I had heard some pretty scary stories about the journalism teacher who had one glass eye and ripped up student’s articles that didn’t make the cut. Stobbe was a close family friend of my parents; his daughters were even flower girls in my parent’s wedding. I had met him before, but never considered taking one of his classes.

Although I was intimidated by him at first, Stobbe has been a huge inspiration to me and given me the confidence to accomplish amazing things both in and out of the computer lab. I am so grateful for his mentorship and his influence on my life. I want to thank Stobbe for inspiring me and for encouraging me throughout the years.

The first week of training, Stobbe told us all the basics of journalism, which I still keep on a Google doc to this day. One part I don’t think any of us will ever forget was writing out all 23 helping verbs from memory. The constant repetition of the practice has embedded those words into our minds, so much so that when I use them in a sentence I cringe.

What at first seemed like a scary experience turned out to be a memorable four years on a team I absolutely adore. The Feather Online has taught me so much more than just how to write for a newspaper. I’ve learned to jump out of my comfort zone and talk to new people, and how to communicate properly and enhanced my vocabulary skills.

I’ve gotten to meet some pretty amazing people as well. I’ve met and interviewed Fresno’s police chief, Miss Tahiti 2019, famous photographers, authors and a lot more. These people were not only very interesting to meet but showed me different ways I can improve.

But most importantly, I’ve made some amazing friends through being on staff. Whether it be writing articles past midnight in New York, or heading out to town hall to interview a famous author, it has been an absolute blast working with a team that not only pushes you to be better, but encourages you along the way.

[/media-credit] Schultz has played varsity volleyball all four years of high school, serving as captain for two of those years.

I’m going to miss Fresno Christian. I’m going to miss walking off campus for Sister to Sister. I’m going to miss playing volleyball with my girls. I’m going to miss spontaneous coffee runs in worship team. I’m going to miss hugging my friends in the hallway.

I love the small school environment, the opportunities, and the God-centered curriculum. I am in awe of how Fresno Christian has changed not only my life but my family’s as well.

I’d like to thank my teachers for getting me through all the craziness and stress, the good times and bad. I’d like to thank my parents and sisters, Addison, Tessa, and Sammi, for supporting me, encouraging me and making me laugh. Finally, I’d like to thank the senior class of 2019 for being so incredibly awesome and for making my time at FCS the greatest.

Although I’m going to miss this school and the many memories that I’ve made along the way, I know God’s plan for my life is going to be amazing, and if I trust in Him I can do all things.

After graduation, Kamryn Schultz will attend the Joshua Wilderness Institute program, where she will take a year off school to  learn more about God’s word and leadership skills, and put them to practice on various mission trips throughout the year.

For Schultz’s articles, check out her profile.

For another senior reflection, read Senior reflection: Alexander Rurik. For a senior reflection from last year, read Senior reflection: Matthew Sue.