• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

PROMO: Homecoming engages students, brings unity

Activity-packed week inspires competitiveness in students

[/media-credit] Nominated by the student body, the homecoming court was elected during September.

Filled with dress-up days and lunch competitions, the FCS 35th annual homecoming week approaches, Sept. 30-Oct. 4. With students already building class floats and the homecoming court elected, the event attracts hundreds of guests each year. 

With this year’s theme of boardgames, classes voted to choose a boardgame to build their float around earlier in the school year. Seniors chose Candyland, juniors picked Monopoly, sophomores decided on Battleship and freshmen ended with Clue. Floats are showcased on homecoming night with attendees voting on which class’ is the best. 

Starting her fourth year as a campus math teacher, Angie Counts values the sense of community that homecoming brings. Counts’ daughter, Celeste Counts, ‘17, was a homecoming queen candidate herself in 2017.

“I think it kind of pushes friend groups to split away and work with other people they might not regularly hang out with,” Angie said, “especially when working on the floats. I think the fun that they have in the [Royal Battle] is always fun, everyone is laughing and encouraging each other.”

The FCS football team will play Riverdale Christian in their fourth game of the season during homecoming night, 7 p.m., Oct. 4. During the week preceding the main event, students will vote to choose their class princesses along with the senior king, prince, princess and queen. Winners will be announced at half time.

[/media-credit] During homecoming week, various competitions pit the homecoming court against each other.

This year’s candidates are as following. 

Freshman princess nominees: Kirra Obwald, Tori Tarlton, Aubrey Graham.

Sophomore princess nominees: Isabella Hutcheson, Ashley Sciacqua, Karoline Sandberg.

Junior princess nominees: Morgan Parker, Natalie Arndt, Samantha Portale.

Senior queen nominees: Macy Little, Shauna Howard, Rebekah Micu, Kayden Marquez, Kayla Vanderlinden.

Senior king nominees: Angel Ruelas, Ty Coffman, Jason Olson, Braden Bell, Max Muñoz.

Each day of homecoming week is a specially themed dress-up day that encourages student involvement. Participation in dressing-up awards each class extra points for the overall competition. 

Each day’s theme is as follows: Mismatch Monday, Twinning Tuesday, One Color Wednesday, Thirty-Yard-Line Thursday and FCS Friday. 

All proceeds from homecoming floats will be donated to the Pregnancy Care Center, Fresno, a local nonprofit. The center, according to their website, provides a “limited scope of pregnancy-related services by medically licensed professionals.” FCS previously supported the center through former Home Ec. teacher Sharon Scharf whose classes made blankets for mothers visiting the center. 

The following tweet features Feather staffers Annabelle Messer, ’20, and Megan Leblanc, ’20, encouraging students to dress up for last year’s homecoming.

Senior Josiah Giles appreciates the support that homecoming brings to the Fresno community. Giles recognizes the importance of connecting with those in the surrounding society. 

“It allows us to turn an arbitrary thing that just happens, to something that actually benefits society around us,” Giles said. “This is one of the things that Fresno Christian aims do. Since we are able to connect with people around us, we can learn ways to gather together as a student body to help those in our communities.”

[/media-credit] The Royal Battle pits the senior king and queen candidates against each other in a dance and lip-synch competition

Sprinkled throughout the week are competitions and events for students’ entertainment. “Princess pageants” at lunch from Monday to Thursday pit princess nominees against each other in various competitions such as last year’s “Eat It or Wear It” challenge. 

The Royal Battle which takes place during Thursday chapel sees king and queen candidates duke it out in lip-synch and dance routines. Later that night, a bonfire rally will take place at the Poplin’s house, 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Senior queen candidate Kayden Marquez feels the pressure that comes with her position, but remains optimistic for the week. Marquez hints as to what students can look forward to for the Royal Battle.

“I can’t give away too much,” Marquez said. “But let’s just say there are some big changes coming to this years Royal Battle. Some king vs. queen rivalry and maybe even team work… Queens are coming to win!”

Champions for Tomorrow, a nonprofit organization that aims to impart principles that bring “sound decision making” and “character building” will be visiting the FC campus, Oct. 1. Their presentation during chapel occurs on the same day as News Engagement Day. This day is dedicated to emphasizing the importance of engaging with local and national news. 

The following podcast features Angie Counts expanding her views on homecoming. Counts values the unity homecoming brings to the student body.

Freshman Ava Garcia appreciates the opportunity to get involved with the float building and various homecoming activities. Garcia is content with her class’ nominees as she feels they are trustworthy people. 

“Last year it was kind of boring because we didn’t get to do anything,” Garcia said. “But this year we are allowed to get involved and participate with floats. I am looking forward to the royal battle because that was really funny last year. I hope they live up to the expectations that people have so it can be just as entertaining.”

During the week, each grade earns points for participation and/or winning the daily competitions. Additional points will be granted for the classes who earn their rankings in the float competition. At the end of the week, points are tallied and the winning grade is awarded a lunch of chinese food. 

The following video made by Feather staffers Blake Deffenbacher, ’20, and Wesley Hinton, ’20, features some highlights to look forward to of the homecoming dress-up days.

Homecoming 2019 Dress-Up Days from The Feather Online on Vimeo.

Check back next week for extended daily coverage of homecoming festivities, Sept. 30-Oct. 4. 

For more information on homecoming, check out PROMO: Homecoming 2019.

For last years homecoming article, read Homecoming Happily Ever After: 34th annual FC homecoming. 

Vijay Stephen can be reached via Twitter and email. 

The following slideshow features images of the 2019 homecoming court.