Blog: Fantasy football talk, week No. 4

Students discuss impact of running backs

[/media-credit] Feather Staffer Kyle Clem, ’21, (left) discusses week four of the NFL season alongside juniors Carston Saelzler (center) and Bryson Graham (right).

As week four of the NFL season comes to a close, Kyle Clem, ’21, talks with juniors Carston Saelzler and Bryson Graham on the highlights and significant headlines from this week of action.

A few moments garner a majority of the attention, including the yearlong suspension the NFL issued to Raiders linebacker Vontaze Burfict following an illegal hit to the head of Colts tight end Jack Doyle.

Over the course of Burfict’s eight year career, he has served a total of four suspensions, three of which stemmed from his aggressive play on the field. The other followed a drug test that tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Through these egregious hits and blatant disrespect for the rules of professional football, Burfict is known by some as the dirtiest player in the NFL.

Leonard Fournette is another player that found themselves in the news this week. Fournette posted a career high 225 yards on the ground against a stingy Denver Broncos defense. Fournette more than doubled his season total with this performance, however, he has yet to score a touchdown this season, leading to questions regarding his fantasy value. With the volume of touches Fournette looks to get this next week, his numbers estimate to roughly replicate those from a week ago.

The Los Angeles Chargers boast major running back news this week. Running back Melvin Gordon rejoined the team this past week, ending his 64 day holdout. While active for the Chargers week four game against Miami, Gordon failed to play. However, he looks to regain the starting role against the Denver Broncos this upcoming week.

Stay tuned next week for a review of week five of the NFL season.

For Clem’s previous football podcast, read Blog: Fantasy football talk, week No. 3. For more articles, read COMMENTARY: Football players discuss 35th annual homecoming game or Students engage First Amendment rights through News Engagement Day, Oct. 1.

Kyle Clem can be reached via Twitter @KyleClem5 and via email.