• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Blog: Fantasy football talk, week No. 8

Students discuss impact of NFL trade deadline

[/media-credit] Feather staffer Kyle Clem, ’21, (left) discusses week eight of the NFL season alongside juniors Bryson Graham (center) and Carston Saelzler (right).

With the conclusion of week eight of the NFL season, two teams remain undefeated and continue to make a push for the postseason. Feather staffer Kyle Clem, ’21, sat down to talk with juniors Bryson Graham and Carston Saelzler  to discuss the week’s action, Oct. 30. The San Francisco 49ers sit atop their division at 7-0 while the New England Patriots hold the top spot in the American Football Conference (AFC) with an 8-0 record. Along with these two undefeated teams, several other teams look to compete for the top spot and gain help at the trade deadline.

The trade deadline this season featured several splashy moves in the weeks leading up to the deadline and countless rumors on who could find a new home. However, this year at the deadline, every rumor proved to be nothing more than just that: a rumor. With big name players such as Jalen Ramsey and Marcus Peters moving teams, this season’s trading period won’t be considered a failure.

During the playing week, a few teams received a much needed boost from returning players. The New Orleans Saints got starting quarterback Drew Brees back this week after he missed five weeks due to a thumb injury. In Brees’ return, he threw for 373 yards and 3 TD with a 79% completion percentage. In the previous five games started by backup Teddy Bridgewater, he averaged 241 yards-per-game and 1.8 touchdowns per contest. With this performance in Brees’ absence, Bridgewater could attract interest on the open market in the coming offseason.

Another quarterback who has performed at a high level all season is Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson. This season, Wilson has thrown for 2,127 yards and 17 touchdowns while only throwing one interception all season. Along with these numbers, Wilson has led Seattle to a 6-2 record and a strong push for the postseason. Wilson’s stats rank him near the top of the league in terms of passing yards and first in the league in passing touchdowns.

While the Minnesota Vikings had a slow start to the season under quarterback Kirk Cousins, the offense has regained momentum in the past weeks behind Cousins’ recent resurgence. During the Vikings’ win streak for four games, Cousins has thrown for 1,262 yards and 10 touchdowns while only throwing one interception.

Stay tuned next week for a recap of week nine of the NFL season. For the last Fantasy Football Talk, read BLOG: Fantasy Football Talk, Week No. 4.

Kyle Clem can be reached via Twitter @KyleClem5 and via email.

For more articles, read ClovisFest draws thousands to Old Town Clovis, unites community, Oct. 26-27 and Freshmen invest time in after-school hobbies.