Worship team offers unique training

[/media-credit] Senior Ainsley Thompson leads a song during worship chapel.

Every Thursday, chapel provides students and staff an opportunity to take a break from their busy school day to experience a time of collective worship and hear from guest speakers. Unique to Fresno Christian, the worship program began with a few instruments training students how to lead worship and has evolved into everything that goes into producing a full worship set.

Worship director Daniel Garrison has been teaching students how to lead and how to produce worship since 2014. The program has serviced approximately 130 students, helping inspire some to continue on in worship ministry.

Creating a space within the school schedule, worship team takes place during 2nd period and also fulfills the requirements of a bible class.  Each member on the team has a specific role and not every student on the team is a vocalist. Soundboards, lighting, slides, CG, are just a few of the behind-the-scenes training most students are unaware of.

Last year’s team was stretched to new boundaries due to COVID-19. The team had to learn and adapt to use a large auditorium made to seat 1,800 people. FCS tech director, Robert Hyatt,  joined Garrison to support the growing tech team, teaching new technologies utilized during chapel. This included a new sound system, a new lighting program, and live feed cameras.

The professional training students get allows them to confidently go into most production environments with knowledge and the skills set needed. So how does chapel take shape each week?

A worship set begins with song selection. The bands gather to pick from new and old songs to form the week’s set. The band and tech team will then spend the week rehearsing for chapel. Practices are done on Monday and Thursday mornings while other class periods are focused on bible curriculum.

From the original idea of creating a worship team to the implementation of a full-blown worship arts program, many students have been forever impacted by the influence of teacher Daniel Garrison.

Fresno Christian alumni and worship leader Tyler Villines continues to draw on his experience at FCS while at GCU.

“To be honest with you, I have no idea if I would’ve ever realized my calling into full-time ministry if it wasn’t for G,” Villines said. ” He saw something in me that had not yet come to be. I was just some athlete who didn’t really have any direction, who decided to try out for worship team to get out of Bible class, and walked off that campus prepared physically mentally, and spiritually to step into my calling. I get the opportunity to lead a college group here in Arizona in worship and I find myself nearly every week thanking God for G.”

Villines now leads worship at NPHX Church in Phoenix Arizona.

Video below highlights the worship team program:

For more about the worship team, check out: First-year worship team member finds passion through singing.