• Choir at Anaheim Heritage Festival, 4/12-4/14
  • FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Column: Finishing strong

How should we finish this year?

As the final semester for this academic school year approaches, we are left with a couple of choices. Some people do not find enough reason to continue pushing till the end.

It is better to finish strong than simply check off boxes.

[/media-credit] ASB President, Antonio Ruelas, believes that ending strong is essential.

Psalm 128:2 states, “You will definitely enjoy what you’ve worked hard for — you’ll be happy; and things will go well for you.” This Psalm shows us how the fruits of our labor will not only bring momentary happiness but also be beneficial in the long run. Regardless of how monotonous the task ahead of us may be, it is logical that we remain diligent.

Whether we deem the following months or years of schooling unnecessary, it does not hurt to take full advantage of our time in high school. In the end, the benefits of mild dedication strongly outweigh the consequences of not trying.

Although we should finish this year strong, there is a difference between diligence and overexerting oneself. This overexertion often derives from being overwhelmed by an alarming amount of work. Work often accumulates due to various reasons ranging from procrastination to being assigned a lot of work in a single day. Too much work causes most people to work through long nights to finish it. 

Though all-nighters may be a necessity sometimes, this does not mean we continue to sacrifice our rest. In the end, we need rest to replenish our strength. Whether reprieve comes in the form of sleeping or recreational activity, it is essential. To avoid a state of exhaustion, we need to plan ahead our days and make room for rest in our schedules.

Psalm 127:2 states, “It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.” Although diligence throughout the remainder of this academic year is beneficial, simply dedicating yourself to your work day in and day out breeds fatigue. For this reason, we all need to understand our limits and rest whenever the appropriate time comes.

Furthermore, sleep has important effects needed in school. Having proper rest allows for greater memory retention as well as rejuvenated energy. These two benefits allow us to go through the rest of our day proficiently. 

Regardless of our season in life, we will always be faced with a similar predicament – the effort we put into our work and the amount of work we have. In the end, it is up to us to decide the amount of effort we each individually put into this final semester of school. No matter if our choice is one of complacency or one that requires perseverance, it is imperative to find a balance. 

Personal Anecdote

This last summer, I faced a predicament. I wanted to join the cross-country team, yet I also wanted to build muscle by bulking up. At first, I managed both of these well. But, eventually, I needed to make a decision. By gaining muscle, I became slower, and running incrementally became more difficult. I decided to stick with cross country since it benefitted me in the long run because it fit better in my school schedule.

Cross country put me against myself every day. Throughout the season, I needed to find a way to balance this athletic commitment with my scholastic commitment. Deep down, I knew it was optimal to persevere and not give up on either of these things.

[/media-credit] Ruelas finds rest as a prerequisite to finishing well.

Conclusion

Regardless of where we are in life, we will be faced with decisions that will dictate what we will be doing with our time. This can range from enrolling in a college, being hired by a job, or parenting your children. It is our duty to face these responsibilities by being wise with our time and putting in a strong effort. Even if we started weak in our responsibility, it does not excuse us from continuing to slack off. Whether the commencement of responsibility began in a good or bad place does not truly matter. Rather, whether we end such a role in a positive or negative light is what truly counts. 

As this second and final semester begins, let us take it upon ourselves to push through as strong as we can.

For more Feather articles, go to PROMO: Student leadership hosts yearly drives and Annual Home EC Christmas blankets.

Antonio Ruelas, Journalist