BLOG, Beckoning series, No.4

[/media-credit] 1 Peter 3:11 “They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it.”

In her Beckoning series, Taylor Beckworth shares encouragement, advice and straight talk from her journey and the experience of others as she draws near to the beckoning of The Lord. –Philippians 3:12-14 MSG

Peace

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 

Hi everyone! It’s definitely been awhile since I’ve shared here, but this topic has really been on my heart. Peace can be very hard to find, and we tend to search for it when we’re overwhelmed by anxiety.

“Did I make the right decision?”

“Did I do something wrong?”

“Has this decision cost me my future?”

There are many other questions that probably run through your head. It’s challenging to find peace when your head is so taken up by anxiety and stress that it’s eating at you. It feels impossible to reach the point where we feel calm and at ease. It’s a long, miserable journey that’s never ending.

[/media-credit] Psalm 4:8 “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.”

What’s your peace?

When anxiety takes over, what are you doing to find peace?

The things you might respond with may not be bad, but are you placing them above God?

Where are your priorities?

What’s your definition of peace?

Some of us try to find peace in the things we understand and see with our eyes. Are we willing to have faith beyond what we see, feel, and understand?

Consider the questions I just posed and be honest with yourself. Even as a Christian, I can struggle with anxiety and have to go back to those questions daily and adjust a few things. I’m not saying peace will change your situation, but it will change your perspective and give you strength to get through your hard circumstances. When we have God with us, we are able to face the most difficult trials in our lives.

I was driving recently, and anxiety took a hold of me so strongly. Just then, I felt God nudging me, “Stop controlling things you cannot control.” I kind of laughed because it’s not that easy, right? We carry a sense of responsibility, but when it becomes too much for us to bear, we must surrender it to Him. That has always been something I’m aware of, but I forget sometimes that God is directing me to His control of my life. This is when I sense His peace, which empowers my heart to not be troubled or afraid.

I’m not saying your anxiety will fully go away and the troubles of life will disappear, but once we shift our eyes to the one who can

[/media-credit] Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.”

calm our hearts, things will get easier. Some of us strive for peace but continue to surround ourselves with worldly things. The devil likes to attack us when we are most vulnerable. In addition, for those who already lean towards unbelief, he whispers things to us that are not true so we can continue to fall:

“You can’t go back now; it’s too late… You messed up in school; there goes your future. You will never be loved.”

We are human, and we are going to mess up, but remember, it does not mess up the plan God has in store for you! Don’t think your wrong turn has messed up your life forever. It certainly didn’t mess up God. Take a hold of that anxiety and tell it to leave you. Take those negative thoughts captive and arrest them! God’s got you, and He has left peace for us on this earth. He wants you to leave your future in his hands.

Bible verses about peace

-2 Corinthians 13:11

-1 Peter 3:11

-Philippians 4:6-7

-Psalms 4:8

-2 Thessalonians 3:16

-Philippians 4:9

-Galatians 5:22

-Isaiah 12:2

-Colossians 3:15

-Romans 5:1

-Romans 8:6

-Ephesians 6:15

I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

Philippians 3:12-14 MSG 

Taylor Beckworth
Taylor Beckworth, Photo Editor