Soccer season starts early with Futsal

Disheartened with paying to play indoor, the boys? soccer team have been playing futsal for free. Twenty-five years ago, soccer moved into a gymnasium have followed suit.

Futsal encompasses slightly different rules than field soccer; the players use basketball court boundaries and five players play at a time. A futsal ball is both heavier and smaller than the soccer ball used during the season and hugs the ground more.

“I enjoy playing futsal because it’s more fast pace than normal soccer,” Tyler Enns, ?07, said. “Because the field is so much smaller which makes you think of what you are planning to do before you actually get the ball. It also helps you on your ball handling skills.”

Some campus students play in the Peoples Church gym in order to improve their foot speed for the upcoming soccer season.

“Futsal is a new thing this year for the soccer team,” Kyle Brewer, ’07, said. “I started playing to practice for the upcoming season and to improve my soccer skills. I also started playing because Tyler (Enns) wanted me to play with him.”

Soccer practice ends an hour earlier to allow the players time to finish homework and maintain eligibility for the upcoming season.

?I like ending practice at four on Mondays,? Shane Darakjian, ?09, said. ?I get all my homework done after practice and come back for futsal. Futsal is better than practice because it has a laid back atmosphere amidst the competition.?

The coach believes that futsal provides a fun way to condition while the players achieve quick reflexes.

?Futsal is an excellent way to force the players to succeed,? Matt Markarian, head soccer coach, said. ?It is more fun than practice and the players gain better ball handling skills.?

Even though some of soccer players play for more for training for the upcoming soccer season, there are others who just play for fun.

?Futsal is definitely more fun than going to the gym,? Jimmy Finley, coach Markarian?s friend, said. ?The competitive atmosphere and the team camaraderie bring me back each week.?

On Monday nights from 6:30-8:30, the boys? soccer team competes among friends and old guys who are looking for fun to claim bragging rights. Scott King, Enns? friend from Clovis East High, has also joined the group to enhance his footwork.

?I really enjoy coming each Monday night,? King said. ?Even though I didn?t know anyone the first few weeks, I have become friends with many people there.?