College play lures point guard

After two years of basketball at the JV level and a supporting role on varsity his junior year, Joey Logan took on the challenge of leading the team his senior year.

“This was a big transition year for the basketball program,” coach Chris Schultz said. “With a new coach and a new system, it is usually a difficult thing for the players. Joey made it easier with his hard work and the way he bought into the new system.”

While the season just ended, Logan hopes constant practice will lead to a successful college career, at Cal Baptist, Hope International or Fresno Pacific University. However, if his basketball aspirations are not met, Logan wants to study law.

“My goal to play college ball is actually a pretty recent development,? Logan said. ?I decided over the summer that I wanted to play after high school and I have been working hard to master my skills ever since.?

Over his four years playing, he faced an obstacle, which hindered his playing ability. A mid-season ankle injury limited his range of motion, which complicated his final year of high school.

?When I hurt my ankle in the San Diego Tournament (Dec. 8), I thought my season was over,? Logan said. ?I found out it was just a sprain and I am glad that I have been able to close out my senior year.?

Logan believes his family helped him deal with the injury. While off the court and not studying, Logan assists his sister, Kristina, ’10, in training seeing-eye dogs for the past five years. When she is unable to work with a dog, Joey helps. He currently assists Kristina with the current dog in training, Octavia.

For the spring season, Logan will play as the leadoff batter and starting shortstop for the baseball team.

Teammate freshman Andrew McCormick aspires to follow in Logan’s example as captain after he graduates.

?Joey has played hard every game,? McCormick said. ?You can always count on him to give the team more than 100% each game. He not only leads the team offensively and defensively, but with the highest level of effort.?

Logan’s basketball inspiration is current Charlotte Bobcat forward, Adam Morrison. Logan admires and hopes to match his intensity and leadership.

“The last four years I have really developed spiritually and become more responsible,” Logan said. “I have become a better man of God and more prepared to live on my own.”