Treasure Island props an extention of childhood behavior

Keegan Shea never thought he would be called upon to play with swords, but the senior woodshop student has been cutting, gluing, nailing and sanding weapons during zero and first period for almost two months.

“Ever since I was home-schooled I have had a fascination with using my hands and creating so woodshop has been my outlet,” Shea said.

Even as a youngster, Shea and his younger brother Cade, ’11, used to make rubber band pistols and wooden swords. Their subsequent duels kept both boys busy but have shaped Shea’s view on joining the drama class’ production.

“I would rather just make the swords and not play with them anymore,” Shea said. “Cade and I used to hit each other with them and ended up bruised arms and knuckles. Mom made us stop when we got angry and hurt each other and I do not want to go there again.”

While Shea is not formally a part of the upcoming spring drama presentation, his work will be on display during a classic fight scene in Treasure Island on March 29.

“I really wanted to do a play that was a family-type of show,” instructor Tom McEntee said. “Treasure Island is filled with adventure and fun for the whole family.”

After memorizing lines and rehearsing during first period, students hope their dedication will pay off in the spring production.

“I love the feeling after you have finished the product,” Jason Harris, ’07, said. “During the curtain call you feel a great sign of relief and satisfaction.”

In addition to the actors, the set production team also prepares for the opening curtain. Shea builds the props for each performance and has completed 12 wooden swords for the upcoming production.

“I don’t really see myself as a toy-maker,” Shea said. “I am more of an apprentice or a craftsman. I make more than swords: cabinets, shelves, and computer desks.”

Shea plans on joining the police academy when he turns 21 and wants to be a S.W.A.T. sniper.

“I have never been very good at close quarters at paintball,” Shea said, “and I don’t see myself making woodworking a career. Law enforcement seems like the way I should go.”

In addition to Treasure Island, drama is also working on a side project, The Importance of Being Earnest, under direction of junior Sean O?Neal.

“Directing has been a real challenge,” O’Neal said. “I split my time between memorizing my own lines and directing others when they know theirs.”

McEntee decided to have student directors to increase student involvement.

“I have some second and third year drama students who wanted to do something more substantial,” McEntee said. “Anything by Oscar Wilde is just that.”

Drama will perform Treasure Island at Ground Zero on March 29. Tickets can be purchased in the high school office or from drama students starting on March 20 for $5 and includes pizza and a drink.