Leadership raises funds for Kids Day

Before sunrise, a group of students set out to claim a vacant street corner to sell newspapers. As the sun edges higher, the number of papers sold and the money raised increases simultaneously.

The campus student leadership team will participate in the 20th annual Kids Day, March 20, for the fifth consecutive year to raise money for Children’s Hospital Central California.

?It is important to serve the community,? President Jeremy Ramos, ’07, said. ?Kids Day is a great way to serve and anyone outside of leadership is welcome to get involved if they want to.?

Ramos and a group of four or five will be hawking the $1 edition of The Fresno Bee at the corner of Teague and Maple Avenues.

Last year, Sam Grizz, ’07, helped sell papers on Kids Day because fellow senior Megan Witters was in the leadership class.

“My friend (Witters) was in leadership last year and I wanted to help her,” Grizz said. “I had a great time standing on a street corner selling paper and watching the sun rise. It was a great experience.”

Last year, campus volunteers sold a total of 300 papers, and raised $450 including donations. For more information on last year’s sale, read Kassy Batesole’s March 14, 2006, article Leadership supports Kid’s Day.

Leadership, along with other volunteers from neighboring schools, will begin the sale of newspapers at 5:30 A.M. on various street corners in the city, including Perrin and Champlain north of campus.

All the profits are donated to Children?s Hospital Central California to aid the cost for families who need financial aid to pay for medical care. Last year the event raised more than $350,000. Over 4,000 volunteers are expected to hit the streets during the one day event. This year’s goal is to surpass $360,000.

?It is a great feeling knowing where the money we raise is going,” Ramos said. “I am glad that I get to take part in something that helps such a worthy cause.”

The annual event is sponsored by The Bee and KSFN, Channel 30