Senior treasures lead role

The lead roles in productions tend to receive the recognition of a successful performance, yet without an equal amount of effort exerted from the supporting roles, it seems the show would not take place.

Senior Jason Harris has always held a supporting role, but has been given the chance to star as the lead in the new drama production, Treasure Island on March 29-30.

“I really enjoyed having supporting roles,” Harris said, “but being the lead will be a whole new experience for me.”

Harris came to FC after being enrolled at First Church Christian Academy until eighth grade and joined the drama program his first year on campus.

“My previous school ended after eighth grade,” Harris said. “My parents wanted to find another good school for me to attend. Greg (Kilgore, ’07) and I had been friends for a long time, so we chose to go to his school (FC).”

Harris accepts the challenges, which accompany his the lead role of Jim Hawkins in Charles deWald’s 1994 adaptation of Treasure Island by Robert Lewis Stevenson.

“The hardest part is memorizing all the extra lines for the lead,” Harris said. “I usually have a funny part, so being serious will be more difficult.”

Drama adviser, Tom McEntee, rewarded Harris with the lead after four years of dedication and experience, as well as his physical similarities with the main character.

“Jason is perfect for the part of Jim Hawkins,” McEntee said. “He is short like the little boy and he has played significant roles the last three productions. I have total confidence in his ability.”

Despite multiple drama practices, Harris finds time to participate in other extracurricular activities such as soccer, student leadership and track.

“This year has been easier to make all the practices for drama,” Harris said. “In previous years, I have had to sacrifice almost all the homework that was assigned during the night practices.”

This is the second main production for drama this school year. In their first semester performance, Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Harris played Yost Van Ripper, one of the main character’s posse. Two years ago, Harris played a butler in The Importance of Being Earnest.

Although Harris does not intend on pursuing an acting career, he plans to attend Fresno Pacific University in the fall to study Biblical studies or ministry.

Lead influences supporting roles

McEntee believes Harris’ experience influences many of the developing members of drama, such as freshman David Hartfield. He moved to Fresno last summer from Upper Marlboro, Maryland where he attended Dr. Henry A. Wise Jr. High School.

Hartfield believes drama helped him adjust to campus, in addition to other extra curricular activites and anticipates a seemingly flawless performance.

“I first joined drama in seventh grade back in Maryland,” Hartfield said. “I had several lead roles including the Big Bad Wolf in one play.”

The drama will perform in Ground Zero on campus at 7 P.M., March 29-30. Tickets can be purchased from any drama student or from the high school office for $5.

Students unable to attend the evening shows have the option to attend a special lunch performance on March 29 for $5, which includes pizza, a drink and the show.

For more information concerning drama, please visit Taylor Torrence’s Sept. 6, 2005, article, Drama on the Open Road.