PROMO: Drama presents annual winter production

Drama puts on a stage productions of ‘The Best Christmas Pageant Ever’

Drama is preparing for their upcoming production, ‘The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.’ The play was originally written by Barbara Robinson, and will be directed by drama and choir teacher Susan Ainley.

‘The Best Christmas Pageant Ever’ is about a small church putting on the Christmas story, while mischievous kids show up to Sunday school to join the play. The play is set in the 1950s with a vintage tone. The cast will consist of middle school and high school students. 

While you usually may find Ainley in a choir room, she took on the role of being a drama teacher last year with directing Hugh Wheeler’s play of ‘Meet Me In St Louis.’  She enjoys getting to know students and seeing their gifts brought to the stage. 

Ainley expects students and teachers to enjoy the play because of the Christmas feel and joy provided by the students’ talents. She describes the drama class as loud with lots of action, calling her students very creative and devoted hard workers. The most challenging part for Ainley finding a play interesting for both middle school and high school. 

“It’s very difficult to find any play that fits both middle school and high school,” Ainley said. “Typically high schoolers are going to have to play adults and it’s very difficult content.”

Returning to drama for the second year, junior Christopher Mericle talks about how the drama class places fellowship and family.

[/media-credit] Noah Geil, ’28, and Zachary Paredes, ’26, perform at dress rehearsal.

“Last year I had an opportunity to be a part of drama and it was an absolute blessing, it’s a wholesome place where everyone comes together with their respected gifts and shares it,” Mericle said. “I think the improvisation and the funny memories that don’t go as planned are the ones I remember most and I think everyone loves.”

Compared to its previous show last year, ‘Meet Me In St. Louis,’ Mericle believes the play will be less extravagant and more of a comedic show that everyone will enjoy. 

“This year the play is focusing on the Christmas story and what we’re called to honor as followers in Christ,” Meircle said. “It’s quite chaotic but I think all the middle schoolers that come together and give their fun can do attitude brings the play together.” 

‘The Best Christmas Pageant Ever’ will perform Dec. 1-2 at 7 pm. The performances will be held at Redemption Church. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for adults. 

To read more from The Feather, go to Seniors honored with AP awards and ArtHop promotes local artists, showcases Central Valley diversity.

Kemya Hopkins
Kemya Hopkins, Journalist