Year of improvement

FC defeated Tranquillity 16-2, during their final non-league game of the season on May 10. After a season dominated by losses, the Eagles stepped up their game to end the season on a positive note.

In the preceding practice the Eagles decided to end their season with a bang and focus on enjoying their final days of softball. Instead of running bases and fielding grounders, the team spent their practice time going on a slip and slide brought by senior Christina Cabias and eating a strawberry pie brought by coach Michelle Wright.

Though the practice may have seemed a waste of time to onlookers, to the team it represented one of the highlights of the season.

?The entire year the softball team has been working hard every practice,? Amanda Wood, ?08, said. ?It was our last practice and we decided that we were going to have an outrageously fun practice. It was so much fun sliding and just messing around having a ball; it was one of the best practices we?ve had.?

The next day at Tranquility, the team brought the same excitement and enjoyment to their game. Though FC had their highest scoring game and hit well, Cabias had a triple, the unique success of the game was the spirit of fun and comradeship achieved in their final days of the season.

The early lead allowed FC to play the entire team and mix up the positions, giving Cabias the opportunity to play her favored position of shortstop. Though the Eagles had not won since their 8-7 victory over University High in their first game, they came out with a victory and an enjoyment of the game.

?Following our slip and slide practice, we demolished Tranquillity,? Wood said. ?We finally killed someone instead of getting killed. The satisfaction of our second victory was unforgettable.?

For the Eagles, the game represented a culmination of hard work throughout the season and an indication of the team?s growth throughout the season.

?We started out as a group of individuals not quite sure what the season had in store for us,? Wright said. ?I know I had no idea, but there was a palpable hunger because previous seasons had been so disappointing. We persevered, and that had never touched a softball before started gaining fundamental skills. As a coach it?s exciting to see that you?re a part of that. This season we began to build upon the future of Fresno Christian.?

Despite the lack of tangible success, the players and coaches alike enjoyed the season, due mostly to the relationships built on the field.

?I looked forward to going to practice and knowing that not only were we going to work hard, but I would also get a chance to interact with 15 young ladies,? Wright said. ?I learned about their character as we fought through adversity together and as we shared stories on long bus rides. There were times when I didn?t know if I would be able to make it, but each of the players reminded me of why I was there.?

Even with a losing record, the team improved and succeeded in overcoming obstacles.

?This season challenged me in many ways to become a better person; I owe gratitude to the team for helping me achieve that,? Wright said. ?I believe that sometimes God uses just the right people in just the right situations to accomplish what his will is. I believe that this year we made some leaps in the right direction, and I want to say that I now have a more complete vision of what the future looks like based on our very recent history.?

Wright, who assisted head coach Tiffany Kaiser, will take over as head coach next season. She anticipates a season in which the team will build upon their experiences this season.

?We only started to tap into everyone?s abilities and ?bam? the season was over,? Wright said. ?For the returnees, we will continue to build upon our strengths. I plan on working hard and giving 100%, and I hope that anyone who comes out will do the same.?