Football sport shorts, 2007

FALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2007–
(Latest football shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Tournament games do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for football features)

For the 2007 schedule or standings and stats, click on Maxpreps.com. FC is 0-10 overall and 0-5 in the Northwest Sierra League as of Nov. 2.

FOOTBALL, 2007

Season end

LIBERTY DEFEATS EAGLES, 48-6, on Nov. 2
Despite boasting 150 yards rushing, the Eagles found scoring a difficult challenge against Liberty on Nov. 2. FC watched as Liberty tacked on 41 points by halftime and an extra seven in the third, giving the Eagles extra incentive to prevent the shut-out.

Though too late to have an impact, Daniel Kingen’s 24-yard run for daylight alloted the Eagles their first score of the night. Of the Eagles highlights, senior Ryan Brunn completed 50 yards rushing on eight carries while junior Daniel Kingen added a hefty 80 yards on 13 carries, as passing proved an insignificant means of yardage.

Though Liberty’s loss of 50 yards on account of penalties aided the Eagles cause, little could be done to stop their opponents scoring ability.

In the second, Libery’s Nick Gizzo completed a 39-yard interception return for a touchdown only to be backed by Jake Preo’s 31-yard touchdown pass from quaterback Tyler Melvin. To cement their lead, an unknown Liberty player recovered an FC fumble and scored on a 45-yard run, as the Eagles faced a lop-sided scoreboard by the start of the third.

FC also acknowleged its seniors: Ryan Brunn, Daniel Kaiser, Walter Scott, and Preet Singh during ‘senior night’ for work done on the field throughout their season(s) of play.

The Eagles finish their season 0-10 overall and 0-5 in league play.

COAST DEFEATS EAGLES, 55-13, on Oct. 26
The Feather was unable to produce a full account of the game.

AZTECS DEFEAT EAGLES, 46-26, ON HOMECOMING NIGHT
The Fresno Christian offense had one of its best nights of the year versus the Mendota Aztecs on homecoming night 2007. Unfortunately for the depleted Eagles, the Aztecs were too much for the injury-depleted home squad.

The visiting Aztecs, on numerous occasions, forced FC into missed tackles and new key injuries led to big plays by the Mendota backfield.

Mendota set the tone early driving down the field 76 yards on their first possession and finally hit pay dirt on a 17-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Patrick Sanchez to Manuel Casillas. It was Casillas’ only catch. Sanchez completed only 8 passes on 12 attempts for 116 yards but the Mendota running game was all the Aztecs really needed to spoil FC’s homecoming.

FC answered back in that same quarter when a leaping quarterback, Jordan Lowery, would not be denied on a 13-yard scamper to make it 6-7. Lowery rushed for 23 yards on 7 carries. He finished the game passing 9-21 and 75 yards with a TD to senior Daniel Kaiser.

Elusive Mendota tailback, Paul Villar, rattled off one of his 3 TDs on an 8-yard TD run to make it 14-6 by end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Villar and the Aztecs continued to outrun the Eagles’ defense and gave Mendota a more comfortable 6-20 lead.

Mendota fullback Julio Moncada would follow Villar’s score up with a 20-yard sprint to the end zone. Moncada finished the game with 122 yards on 13 carries.

The Eagle offense would not go down quietly as Kaiser took a 9-yard pass from Lowery and lowered the boom on a Mendota defender at the goal line to draw the Eagles to 28-13. But that is as close as FC would get.

Villar scored his third TD of the night with a 4-yard goal line rush past the Eagles to make it 12-34. Villar finished the evening with 139 yards rushing on 18 carries.

The Aztecs finished out the half with a 35-yard field goal from the strong-footed Mendota kicker, Hugo Aguilar. The visitors went into the half break leading, 37-13.

After the half Mendota fullback Michael Trejo rammed it in from the 1-yd line to put the game out of reach. Kicker Aguilar put the icing on the cake with a 45-yard kick that sailed through the uprights to put the Aztecs up 13-46.

Yet, to their credit, and with their peers watching from the sidelines after the float parade, the banged up hosts would not fold despite three more players on crutches and a sling by the third quarter.

The Eagle backfield was not finished though, as tailbacks Kingen and newly crowned homecoming king, Ryan Brunn, rattled off a couple of long runs, culminating in scores of 2 and 31 yards, respectively, to make the final score 46-26.

Kingen finished the game with 126 yards rushing on 17 carries and a TD and Brunn ran 3 times for 38 yards.

In a year filled with so many season-ending injuries, three more Eagles were left contemplating the rest of their season from the sidelines. Lineman Taylor Motte (knee), linebacker Anthony Johnson (ankle) and all-everything Kyle Hendrix (collarbone) were this week’s victims to the injury bug.

The battered and bruised Eagles will regroup and travel to Cambria and take on the Coast Union Broncos (4-4), on Oct. 26.

FIREBAUGH DEFEATS FC 39-0 on Oct. 12
With a rain-drenched field and only 14 players to boast, the Eagles fought their up-hill battle in the mud. And for the third time this season, FC was shut out.

Despite their greatest efforts, the Eagles remained scoreless throughout, after watching their Firebaugh opponents take a 31-0 lead in the first half and never looked back.

Led by quarterback Alex Guiterrez, Firebaugh was able to move the ball against the Eagles’ defense as Guiterrez completed two 38-yard and an 18-yard pass to receiver Gerry Aguayo. Greg Verdugo also scored on a 25-yard run.

Of the Eagle’s strong points, junior Daniel Kingen caught 4 passes for 32 yards and rushed for a total of 71 yards on 12 attempts. Also, junior Kyle Hendrix ran 6 times for 34 yards while senior Daniel Kaiser caught 5 passes for 33 yards.

With starting senior running back Ryan Brunn benched on account of a bad knee, the Eagles could not sustain any offensive attack and most players played the whole game, on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

EAGLES HOLD TIGERS TO SINGLE DIGITS IN 7-0 LOSS on Oct 5.
Despite a shining defensive effort on the part of the Eagles squad, the Tranquillity Tigers pulled out the only score they needed in the second quarter to win at home 7-0, in a penalty-filled league affair in Tranquillity on Oct. 5.

The Eagles got things going early on their first possession with a 65-yard receiver option pass from senior Daniel Kaiser to streaking junior Daniel Kingen. The Eagles failed to find the endzone on that possession, though, and turned the ball over on downs just short of the Tiger’s endzone.

Tranquillity junior quarterback, Alex Chocoteco, connected with junior wide receiver, Beto Solorio, on a 36-yard TD pass in the second quarter for the Tigers only touchdown. Solorio immediately received a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for a forward flip into the endzone.

Despite moving the football well on the ground throughout the game, the Eagles failed to execute when it counted the most, inside Tranquillity’s 40-yard line.

Fresno Christian junior running back, Daniel Kingen, carried the Eagle offense on his back much of the night, rushing for 135 yards on 18 carries and another 74 yards on 3 catches.

The Eagles defense was anchored by senior linebacker, Walter Scott, who finished with 12 tackles, and junior Scott Yantis with 8 tackles and 2 fumble recoveries.

Kingen’s six tackles on the defensive side of the ball included stripping Tranquillity sophomore running back, Joaquin Rodriguez, in the fourth quarter as time ran out to give the Eagles one last shot at victory.

However, the Eagles failed to execute an aerial attack in the ensuing possessions.

The Eagles received a scare in the second quarter when senior captain
Ryan Brunn’s leg got caught awkwardly underneath him while attempting to push over a pile of tacklers.

Brunn was taken out of the game amid a flurry of prayers by fellow teammates. Brunn’s status for upcoming games is unknown as of press time.

Tranquillity was penalized 11 times for a total of 85 yards and turned
the ball over four times. The Eagles received 6 penalties for 40 yards and threw 2 interceptions.

The Eagles face league-leading Firebaugh in a Northwest Sierra League
showdown at Clark Stadium on Oct. 12.

FOWLER STIFLES EAGLES, 34-7, on Sept. 28
The Fresno Christian defense came ready to play on a chilly night in Fowler, holding the Redcats to 15 first downs and forcing them to punt 4 times during the contest.

However, Fowler’s ground game eventually wore down the Eagles as the Redcats prevailed 34-6 on Sept. 28.

With only 16 players suited up, the Eagles showed tremendous heart against an opponent with twice their numbers. Numerous times the Eagles made key third and fourth down stops, limiting the normally potent Fowler offense in the first half.

The Eagles benefited from the return of Walter Scott, who sat out last week with a deep thigh contusion. Penalties again haunted the Eagles as a 55-yard, first-half Ryan Brunn TD scamper was called back for clipping.

Although Fowler’s ground game proved to be the deciding factor in the battle, Fresno Christian’s aerial attack proved a force to be reckoned with as junior QB Jordan Lowery passed for a total of 137 yards. His favorite target of the night, senior Daniel Kaiser, shined, hauling in 9 passes for a total of 95 yards, including a “highlight reel” sideline grab in the 3rd quarter.

Daniel Kingen caught an 11-yard TD pass from Lowery in the 4th quarter for the lone Eagle score. Kingen also rushed 12 times for 54 yards.

The Redcats evenly distributed the ball on the ground, with a total of 9 players rushing for a combined 236 total yards. Sophomore QB Kenny Corona, filling in for injured all-everything senior Josh Poytress, led the undefeated squad; he had rushing TDs of 1 and 13 yards. Corona passed for 92 yards and ran for 52 yards.

Jose Mendez led the Redcats in rushing and had 82 yards on 10 carries. He also scored on a 9-yard run in the 4th quarter.

RIVERDALE DEFEATS FC, 34-6, on Sept. 21
It was a rough night for the Eagels as a rain-soaked field led to numerous fumbles and penalties throughout.

Boasting only 18 players, FC remained scoreless until the fourth when senior Daniel Kaiser caught an 11-yard touchdown pass in their 34-6 loss to Riverdale on Sept. 21.

Due to missed tackles and lukewarm pursuit, FC remained an unsubstantial match against Riverdale’s quarterback Ricky Green who rushed 10-73 yards and completed 150 yards passing against the Eagle’s defense.

With FC out of the game, the Cowboys found little resistance as Ronnie Ybarra connected with Ricky Green for separate 46 and 60-yard passes. Gerardo Uberita also ran 45 yards for a touchdown cementing the Redcats lead 21-0 by the end of the third.

Of the Eagle’s highlights, junior quarterback Jordan Lowery passed 94 yards on nine attempts while Daniel Kingen’s 8-44 yards rushing remained an insufficent gain as the Cowboys more than compensated for the yardage on multiple fumble recoveries.

MISSION PREP DEFEATS FC, 38-14, on Sept. 14
After a 25-yard TD run by senior Ryan Brunn in the first quarter, the Eagles capitalized on a second quarter failed punt by Mission Prep as senior Kyle Hendrix ran for 24-yard TD putting FC ahead, 14-13.

The Royals however scored a TD in the last minute of the first half, including a 2-point conversion, to escape with the lead. While FC kept the game close, the Eagles could not match their intensity for the second half and fell, 38-14, to the visitors from San Luis Obispo on Sept. 14.

Mission Prep opened the third quarter with a 62-yard run by quarterback Dylan Morrow. Morrow also scored both Royals TDs in the first half on short yardage runs. He also passed for a TD and ended up with 95 yards rushing on 3 carries and 149 yards passing, going 10-20.

Brunn finished the game with 121 yards rushing on 13 carries and caught 2 passes for 40 yards while Hendrix ran 10 times for 54 yards and had 23 yards receiving on 3 catches.

FC quarterback, junior Jordan Lowery, started for the first time and went 9-23 for 94 yards.

STRATHMORE DEFEATS FC, 58-31, on Sept. 7
Despite a rough start in their season opener, the Eagles showed charisma against their Strathmore rivals. While both teams were unable to disuade each others offensive drives, the Spartans met the challenge and defeated FC, 58-31, on Sept. 7.

Senior Ryan Brunn ran the opening kickoff for a touchdown giving his team an early lead. Strathmore answered TD on the ensuing kickoff. The Spartans however led 33-13 at half time.

Hoover transfer Jordan Lowery, ’09, replaced starting quarterback Brain Weskamp, ’09, during the third quarter after Weskamp took a hit to the head. Brunn was the bright spot for the Eagles and scored his second TD of the game on an 46-yard run, as a part of his 80 total rushing yards.

Daniel Kingen, ’09, added two touchdowns to aid the Eagles’ offense. Kingen scored on a 78-yard run and a 24-yard run and finished the game with 156 yards rushing.

BAKERSFIELD CHRISTIAN STEALS SHOW, EAGLES LOSE, 60-0
The Eagles team hoped to build off their successful scrimmage in the home opener against Bakersfield Christian on Aug. 31 was dashed as the visitors overwhelmed them.

After winning the initial coin toss, FC turned the ball over to their opponents after four consecutive downs.

Throughout the first quarter, the Eagles were unable to prevent Bakersfield from scoring two touchdowns and a field goal and the visiting Eagles took an early lead and led 17-0 after the first quarter.

With five minutes left in the second quarter, FC’s defense blocked a field goal attempt. Junior Kyle Hendrick recovered for the Eagles and ran the ball back to midfield. However FC was unable to generate any momentum.

The second half was dominated by Bakersfield, who defeated FC, 60-0.

SCRIMMAGE CALLED A SUCCESS
Even though no score was tallied, the Eagles defense was a huge highlight.

“We held Parlier at the one yard line for a full set of downs,” safety Daniel Kaiser, ’08, said. “It was a huge lift to our team to stop there offense from gaining the important one yard.”