Club crosses class borders

Athletes and those involved in academic circles already have clubs established on campus. But for the first time in campus history, Spanish speakers will finally have their own club.

In its inaugural year, the Spanish club aims to expand students learning from the classroom to everyday life.

“We have never had a Spanish club on campus and I thought that it would be a neat idea,” Senora Beatriz Foth, Spanish II and III teacher, said. “We want to promote awareness of Spanish club and culture outside the classroom.”

While a daily Spanish class only lasts 50 min., the club aspires to promote growth outside the normal boundaries.

“For the future members, we hope to engage them in activities where they can put into practice what they have learned,” Foth said.”During our meetings, member will have fun together and learn more about the language and culture.

In anticipation for the club, Foth narrowed her search for the club’s leaders from her current students.

“I had a few ideas of who might be the leaders in the club,” Foth said. “I prayed and thought about it. The leaders next year will be nominated by the members.”

As president, Scott Orcutt, ’09, plans to pass on his gratitude towards the language.

“I love speaking Spanish,” Orcutt said. “As president, I am in a position to spread my appreciation for the language.”

One of the ways the Spanish club will seek to broaden the members appreciation of the spanish culture is to take trips.

“We have not chosen all the activities the club will participate in,” Foth said. “But we know that we will sponser lunches or snacks, see movies, or attend special plays.”

Coupled with improved speaking skills, members of the club gain unique involvement for college applications and future resumes.

“Colleges like well-rounded students,” Foth said. “Other than sports and academics, those in the spanish club will learn valuable leadership skills. It will look very good.”

The first meeting will be held during lunch in room 603 on Oct. 12. It will be an informational meeting designed for anyone interested in becoming a club member.

Each member must fulfill the following qualifications: have taken at least one year of spanish, pay the $15 membership fee, and abide by all club guidelines stated in the membership guidelines.

For information about current Spanish club activities, talk to vice president Abby Schoettler, ’09, secretary Megan Ortiz, ’09, public relations Andrew Rurik, ’09, or treasurer Coleton Hutchins, ’08 or read the high school announcements.