Varsity assists first baseball clinic

In effort to inculcate fundamentals within future campus athletes, coach Bill McGowen initiated a baseball skills clinic. The varsity team assists McGowen and Todd Webb, elementary coach, Monday nights from 3:30-5P.M., Oct. 1-23.

“The goal of the clinic is to show kids proper fundamentals but mainly we want to show that baseball is fun,” McGowen said. “So often in a hyper-competitive atmosphere the joy of the game gets lost. We’re trying to show that you can pray together, have fun playing a great game of baseball and be a little competitive along the way.”

Since McGowen’s schedule is filled with teaching three science classes, another coach was necessary for the clinic to take place.

“The reason we are able to have this clinic is due to the generosity of of head elementary coach Todd Webb,” McGowen said. “Having coached numerous teams at River Park Little League, he decided it was time to gather the talent from Fresno Christian to one place.”

Webb plans to use his six years of coaching experience in both the Bullard and Riverpark little leagues by providing a positive atmosphere for the children.

“Having fun and sharing God’s word each week is an integral part of the clinic,” Webb said. “As sports have become extremely competitive at such a young age in today’s world, we cannot lose on the fun and staying focused on our Lord.”

The turn out of the first day exceeded McGowen and Webb’s expectations, over 25 kids ages 7-12, including five girls, arrived at the varsity field (North field) ready to play. The coaches welcome any athletes wanting to play, even if they missed a few of the first practices. The clinic is not only open to campus students, but also homeschoolers.

“Parents were asking me why we don’t start up an elementary school baseball team,” McGowen said. “I thought it was a great idea. I had no idea there would such high interest. I was very happy and surprised with the attendance on the first day. More coaches will be added to keep the player to coach ratio low.”

“By the time these kids become juniors and seniors, they will have played with the same group all the way up the ranks,” McGowen said, “and be confident that they know the system. The kids at the elementary level will learn the same baseball fundamentals and arm maintenance exercises as the varsity team. They will know the type of character it takes to be a FC ballplayer.”

McGowen believes a benefit of this campus contrasts with public schools because students are able to grow in a single environment, rather than changing campuses.

“In all sports at FC we, as varsity coaches, have the unique opportunity of being able to oversee the elementary and junior high programs,” McGowen said. “This clinic is just one example of how we can establish continuity in our baseball program.”

Stowe Emerpeur, ’11, anticipates the early preparation to pay dividends in the future.

“With the addition of an elementary team, we will save a lot of time teaching them for not having to re-teach the fundamentals of the game,” Emerpeur said. “I volunteered to help at the clinic so I could be a part of the exciting changes in the program and I will get all my community service hours.”

The profits of the camp will benefit the high school team, will offset the cost of new equipment and field grooming expenses. The entrance fee of$35 provides each player with a varsity flex-fit cap, practice T-shirt with logo, in addition to four days of instruction.

“The next major baseball event that encompasses all levels of FC baseball is a dinner theatre,” McGowen said. “We are hoping to have the event in February, but have not nailed down a Saturday yet.”