Spanish heads to Tower, Roger Rocka’s

Dark prison cells provide a sense of gloom and sorrow for many, but for Miguel de Cervantes, a dungeon transforms into a stage during Man of La Mancha.

In the second major field trip for the Spanish III class, Senora Beatriz Foth, Spanish II and III teacher, will lead 36 students and chaperones to the Tower District and Roger Rocka’s Dinner Theater on Nov. 8.

“This play is one of the most famous literary masterpieces from Spanish literature,” Foth said. “We already read a short version of the play and watched the video in class.”

According to Roger Rocka’s website, the play recounts the tale of Don Quixote who weaves a story to fellow prisoners. The action then revolves around a man who “sees warriors in windmills” and mistakes a dirty, untidy woman as his Lady Love.

As an added bonus, the class plans to gather ideas for their own class production later in the year.

“Next semester, we want to put on our own production of Man of La Mancha,” Foth said. “Hopefully, students will “reach the unreachable star” and follow their dreams, even if they seem to be ‘impossible.'”

Junior Tonia Keys-Bramlett anticipates a memorable evening despite her first stage experience.

“I have actually never been to a theatrical work outside of the campus drama team,” Keys-Bramlett said. “It will be a whole new experience for me.”

Earlier in the year, the class visited the Supermercado on Sept. 7.

“On the Supermercado trip, we had to fill out a questionaire about several different items,” Matthew Nickel, ’08, said. “I am glad that we do not have any homework, so we can compare the movie we watched in class to the live play.”

Before their departure, the group will meet in the campus parking lot at 6:45 P.M. and arrive in the Tower District by 7:15.

Man of La Mancha opened on Sept. 20 and will continue its run until Nov. 11. Each student paid $25 as a part of the theater’s large party discount.

For discounts to Roger Rocka’s, visit group rates or call 559.266.9494. The theater is located at 1226 N. Wishon Ave. on the corner of Wishon and Olive.