Girls’ soccer sport shorts, 2007-08

GIRLS’ SOCCER SPORTS SHORTS, 2007-08–
(Latest girls’ soccer shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Tournament games do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ soccer features)

For the 07-08 schedule or standings and stats, click on Maxpreps.com. FC is 13-13-1 overall and 1-6 in the Northwest Sierra League. Mission Prep, No. 1 seed, ended FC’s season and will continue through playoffs, Feb. 15.

GIRLS’ SOCCER, 2007-08

[Season End]

Update, Feb. 12: Senior captains Michelle and Jennifer Rose were selected to the First Team All-League in girls’ soccer this season. Senior Claire Kister and Quinn Livingston, ’10, were also recognized and awarded Second Team All-League honors.

ROYALS END EAGLES’ SEASON–Feb. 15
Although advancement to the semi-finals laid on each team?s mind, FC was unable to steal possession from Mission College Prep. The No. 1 seed defeated the Eagles, 11-1, Feb. 15.

The Royals? precise passing broke the Eagle defense to score three goals within the first 10 minutes of play. Mission maintained possession, to score an additional goal off of a cross, to lead 4-0.

Despite momentum on the Royals? side, the Eagles were able to run through the defensive line. After the Mission keeper came out of the box, captain and senior Michelle Rose attacked the goal. A defender held onto Rose, preventing her from scoring, which led to a penalty kick.

“Even though we were down the entire time the girls continued to play hard,” Rose said. “We never gave up and that shows alot about the girls. It was a tough season but the girls improved everyday and made it enjoyable for me.”

Rose put FC on the board, but it was not enough to rally the Eagles. Two minutes before the first half ended, the Broncos scored their fifth goal, to enter the second half, 5-1.

Halftime only seemed to energize Mission, as they scored three more goals. With the Royals ahead, 8-1, FC pulled Marielle Derosiers, ?08, from goal, to play on the field and put in Paige Powell, ’10, as keeper.

Mission continued to attack the goal. Cross passes coupled with FC?s cluttered box led to three more goals, 11-1.

EAGLES DEFEAT MENDOTA IN PKS–Feb. 13
As the wind disrupted the surrounding dirt, the Eagles defeated the Mendota Aztecs, 2-1, in penalty kicks, Feb. 13.

Fueled by playoff intensity, neither team allowed a goal for the duration of the opening half.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, senior Jennifer Rose dribbled up the sideline and crossed the ball to forward Heather Litchi, ’10. After the ball bounced in the 18-yard box, Litchi tapped the ball into goal for a 1-0 Eagle lead.

“Despite all the changes (sick players, head coach replacement, and wind) the girls definately rose to the challenge.” coach Christina Cabias said. “I asked players to play positions they would normally not be asked to do and they responded better then I could have imagined.”

After several attempts at frame by both teams, the Aztecs clustered the Eagle defense in the last five minutes of regulation. A Mendota striker shot from outside the 18-yard box and the ball was bent around the frame by the wind to tie, 1-1.

Few shots were attempted by either team in the first OT half. The Aztecs’ closest chance of wining the game was foiled by senior Marielle Desrosiers, keeper. The first half of OT ended 1-1.

Cabias, filling in for Garret Markarian, made a goalie change with 2 minutes remaining in the second half of OT, placing Jennifer as the new FC keeper.

“When Christina put me in goal, I thought it was so Marielle could play on the field,” Jennifer said. “But once the game ended I realized I would be blocking the PKs. During the PKs I pictured it as usual practice with Michelle taking shots on me.”

The Eagles’ five participants for PKs were: Jennifer, Rebekah Wells, ’11, and seniors Ashley Chavez, Ellie Wilhelm and Michelle Rose.

Chavez and Wilhelm both converted their penalty kicks to seal the Eagles victory.

“Heather scored our only goal in regulation,” Cabias said. “When called upon Jennifer played goal during the PK’s and did an outstanding job, when called upon to take penalty shots both Ellie and Ashley made their shots. Michelle controlled the defense, as a whole the team played really well. I was very proud of the way they fought to the end.”

FC CANCELS GAME–Feb. 7
Despite the roses, signs, and senior parents, the girls’ game against the Riverdale Cowgirls was postponted.

Due to miscommunications and the referees’ absence, the final home game for the soccer team has been cancelled.

LIBERTY DEFEATS EAGLES FOR SECOND TIME–Feb. 4
After a 0-4 loss previously in the season the Eagles could not hold off the Hawks in a 0-6 loss, Feb. 4. Unlike the previous encounter against the Hawks, FC had several opportunities to score but was unable to finish.

FC?s defense could not contain Liberty?s stringed passes and crosses as the Eagles allowed a goal in the first 13 minutes in the game. Shortly after the Hawks added to their lead as a striker dribbled down the field and scored passed a sliding defender.

“Liberty is a good team,” coach Garett Markarian said. “I hope we can finish strong against Riverdale.”

With 15 minutes remaining in the half, Liberty crossed over defender heads to Hawk forward, the shot nearly passed by keeper Marielle Desrosiers’, ?08, hands. The Eagles failed to shut down Liberty resulting in another goal before half ended, the Hawks lead 4-0.

The Eagles efforts to score were thwarted by the Hawk defense as the ball remained on FC’s side of the field.

As FC held the Hawks for a short stint in the second half, the Eagles’ shots continued to be blocked by the opposing keeper.

“I think we did alright against Liberty due to the inexperience on the team,” captain Jennifer Rose, ?08, said. “Liberty plays really well together and it was great to see that we could hold them to two goals in the second half.”

With 10 minutes left in the game, Desrosiers was drawn out of the box on a corner kick. Although Desrosiers blocked previous crosses, Claire Kister?s, ?08, attempt to aid the keeper failed as the ball slipped past both players. The game ended with an Eagle loss 0-6.

CARUTHERS DEFEATS EAGLES IN OVERTIME?Feb. 1
Despite the Eagles attempts to hold off the Caruthers Raiders, overtime resulted in a 2-0 loss, Feb. 1. After a disappointing loss to Liberty-Madera earlier in the week, the Eagles were unable to shut down Caruthers in the extra time.

While both teams shots on goal were few during regular play, the first half remained 0-0. The intensity level and aggression rose as the game neared its end. Although the Eagles’ last attempt did not give FC the lead, it remained 0-0 in regulation play.

“Caruthers was a beatable team,” keeper Marielle Desrosiers, ?08, said. “We played really well the whole time but they just wanted it a little more.”

Two 10-minute overtime halves were added to determine a winner. After five minutes of the first OT, the Raiders drew out Marielle and scored to lead overtime 1-0. The first half of overtime resulted in the Eagles trailing, 1-0.

The score remained the same until the last three minutes into the second half of overtime. Caruthers midfielder crossed the ball to the middle; FC struggled to clear the ball. With an unmarked forward in the middle of the field, the Raiders scored. Caruthers defeated FC, 2-0.

“The girls continued to play hard throughout the game,” coach Garett Markarian said. “We just could not get a goal in.”

LIBERTY WINS RESCHEDULED GAME–Jan. 30
The reduced time of a 25 minute first half (due to a previous 15 minutes played Jan. 11) was not enough to rally the Eagles and resulted in a, 4-0, victory for the Liberty Hawks, Jan. 30.

The Hawks pressure FC?s defense, half way through the half Liberty scored their first goal off a cross.

?It was tough playing two hard games back to back,? center midfielder Jennifer Sherfield,?08, said. ?I think we could have done better but a lot of the team was injured and banged up from Fowler.?

The Hawks? passing caused Eagle defense to struggle. After a pass from a Hawk midfielder, Liberty scored again just outside the 18-yard box. This gave the Hawks a 2-0 lead at halftime.

The Eagles? offense struggled to put a shot on frame. Despite efforts to clear the ball away to Liberty?s half, the Hawks scored another goal 20 minutes into the second half.

?Liberty is a good team and we were hurt from the previous game against Fowler,? coach Garett Markarian said. ?We didn?t play very well which lead to our loss.?

FC continued to battle for possession, however, the Hawk s? sweeper shut down the Eagles? offense.
Ten minutes later the Hawks quick passes and movement slipped through keeper Marielle Desrosiers,?08, to score and end the game 4-0.

Rebekah Wells, ’11, returned to the Eagle line-up and midfielder Melissa Litchi, ?09, will play in the next game. However, Forward Quinn Livingston, ?10, is out for the season. In addition, stopper Cassidy Hutchins, ?11, left before half due to a knee injury, time absent is still pending.

REDCATS DEFEAT EAGLES –Jan. 29
After a 5-0 victory by Fowler in their previous meeting, the Eagles hoped for a closer match. Unfortunately, the Eagles strong start could not surpass the Redcats’ offense in their 2-1 loss, Jan. 29.

Both teams desire to improve their league records resulted in a scoreless match for the opening 20 minutes. FC’s leading scorer, Quinn Livingston, ’10, left the game in the latter part of the half with an injury.

“I think that the defense really stepped up in this game,” captain Jennifer Rose, ’08, said. “They were putting into play what we had practiced such as containing players. (Senior) Claire Kister has made great improvement from her first game; she shut down her mark and did not allow her to distribute the ball.”

Shortly after Livingston left the game, Fowler scored off a corner kick and ended the half with a 1-0 lead.

Although FC held a one-goal deficit, the Eagles continued to pressure the Redcats. While few shots were taken by FC, they had many set play chances that inspired hope.

In the middle of the second half, Jennifer chipped the ball 30 yards from the goal during a free kick. As the ball sailed over the Redcats’ wall of defenders, senior captain Michelle Rose, ’08, beat the Fowler defenders to the ball and tied the score.

With a minute remaining in regulation play, Fowler caught the Eagles off guard to take a 2-1 lead. The Eagles failed to tie the score in the final seconds.

“We played as a team and didn’t give up like the last time we played Fowler,” coach Garrett Markarian said. “We have some key injuries, but I was happy with the effort we showed.”

The Eagles will next travel to play their rescheduled game against Liberty, Jan. 30.

OFFENSE THRIVES AGAINST DOS PALOS IN 6-0 VICTORY–Jan. 24
Although leading scorer Quinn Livingston, ’10, was out due to illness, the Eagles offense defeated the Dos Palos Broncos, 6-0, Jan 24.

FC gained control for the majority of the first half keeping the ball on Dos Palos’ side of the field. The Eagles broke through the Broncos defense. Mary Kneefel scored off a cross from fellow senior and captain Michelle Rose, ’08.

Dos Palos’ momentum slowed down and defense weakened, after the first goal. Michelle scored three of her four goals before the end of the first half.

“I have never scored four goals in a single game before,” Michelle said, “and it was good to see us play together as a team again. We hadn’t played like this since before Fowler. I think if we come out with the intensity we did the first half against Fowler, we can win.”

With a four goal lead entering the second half, goalie Marielle Derosiers, ’08, received her first field time out of the goal box this season. Brittany Schaffer, ’09, filled Derosiers position at keeper.

On a breakaway, Michelle extended the Eagles lead to 5-0, after dribbling past all the Bronco defenders and shot from inside the 18-yard box.

The Eagles final goal of the game came from a corner kick by Michelle’s twin and captain Jennifer Rose. Her corner curved around the Broncos’ keeper and into the net.

Neither team scored in the final ten minutes giving FC the 6-0 victory.

“I’m glad we were able to put a weak team away,” coach Garett Markarian said, “and build confidence for the biggest week of our season next week.”

EAGLES OVERCOME COWGIRLS FOR FIRST LEAGUE WIN, 4-2– Jan 22
Despite a tied score at half, the Eagles defeated the Riverdale Cowgirls, 4-2, on Jan. 22.

FC seemed unprepared to start, as girls’ slow pace allowed Riverdale to score within the first 15 minutes of the game. A breakaway broke past the Eagle defenders, coupled with miscommunication contributed to the Cowgirls’ lead.

Down by one, the Eagles attacked the Riverdale’s line. Forward Ellie Wilhelm,?08, received the ball and dribbled towards the goal, however, a Cowgirl defender fouled her at the 18-yard box and was awarded a penalty kick. Captain Jennifer Rose, ’08, took the shot instead of Wilhelm, to take FC into halftime 1-1.

“I think this game served as a way to build our confidence back up,” captain Michelle Rose, ’08, said. “After two hard losses we let down quite a bit, but when we needed a goal the offense was there ready to score and allowed us to get back in the game.”

Another foul lead to the Eagles’ second score. Ten minutes into the second half, the Eagles were given a set kick. Michelle cleared the ball to Wilhelm, who passed to forward Quinn Livingston, ’10. Livingston’s shot went to the far post for the lead, 2-1.

FC increased their score when Jennifer chipped the ball passed Riverdale’s defensive line to Livingston for her second of the game, 3-1. Minutes later Riverdale’s offense retaliated off of a cross to only trail by one, 3-2.

“I was happy that we finally showed some heart and won a tough game,” coach Garett Markarian said. “Michelle, Jennifer and Ellie all had nice assists to Quinn in the second half. We were able to turn a 1-1 game at half time into a 4-2 win.”

The Cowgirls nearly tied the score when a Riverdale striker broke past the Eagles’ defense, however, Michelle slid to clear the ball from FC’s goal before the shot attempt. She then chipped a set kick to Livingston who added another goal for the scoreboard to win, 4-2.

CARUTHERS BEAT EAGLES IN LAST 15 MINUTES–Jan. 17
After a 5-0 loss to Fowler earlier in the week, the Eagles attempted to raise their record to .500 with a win against Caruthers, on Jan. 17. While the Eagles got a 1-0 lead in the first 20 minutes, Caruthers overcame the deficit handing FC the 2-1 loss.

Captain Jennifer Rose, ’08, scored the Eagles’ only goal of the game from a breakaway down the side line. Rose bent the ball around the Blue Raiders’ keeper from the corner flag for a 1-0 lead.

“I was really excited that we took the lead early,” Rose said. “When I was running down the line, I could see the opposing defender closing in. I crossed it in hope of a header by fellow teammates, but instead it went in the goal by itself.”

The Eagles’ readjusted lineup (due to starting center midfielder Rebekah Wells, ’11, shoulder injury), loose defense and slow pace lost opportunities to advance their lead, while Caruthers tied the score before the end of the half, 1-1.

After approximately 10 saved shots, keeper Marielle Desrosiers, ’08, was unable to prevent the Raiders from scoring their second, in her first game back from an ankle injury.

In the final 10 minutes, the Caruthers were awarded a penalty kick 25 yards from the goal. After the cross cleared a Caruthers striker was able to head the ball, to take the lead

While the Eagles had several opportunities to score, forward Quinn Livingston, ’10, and the Eagles could not maneuver past the Raider defense.

FOWLER DEFEATS EAGLES, 5-0–Jan. 14
An unaggressive offense and a timid defense resulted in a 0-5 loss to the Fowler Redcats, Jan. 14.

While FC held off the Redcat’s offense for the opening 30 minutes, Fowler broke the scoreless game off of a set kick. Fowler led at the end of the first half, 1-0.

Twenty minutes after halftime, Fowler scored when their corner kick deflected off an Eagle defender and dropped at a Redcat’s foot for their second goal of game.

“I think that we did pretty good in the first half,” keeper Brittany Shaffer,’09, said. “We could have come back and tied them, if not beat them, but we all started getting frustrated and that made us do even worse.”

Fowler finished the game scoring three additional goals within fifteen minutes.

“We played well for 60 minutes,” coach Garett Markarian said. “To bad the game is 80 minutes long, it was one to zero with 20 minutes left in the game and we lost five to nothing. There is no excuse for that. We gave up and I am very disappointed in the game.”

FC will next host the Caruthers Raiders on Jan. 17.

FC WILL HEAD BACK TO LIBERTY FOR RESCHEDULED GAME–Jan. 11 Eagles must replay the Liberty-Madera Hawks.

As both teams struggled for a goal, 15 minutes into the first half, the Hawks were forced to forfeit. Both Liberty coaches were ejected during a brief argument with an official.

The game has been rescheduled Jan. 30.

RAIN CANNOT COOL HOT OFFENSE, EAGLES WIN, 6-1–Jan. 8
Despite strong showers and wind the Eagles defeated the Tranquillity Tigers, 6-1, Jan. 8.

For the first time this season, FC attacked the opposing defense immediately after kickoff. This led to an early Eagle lead, as forward Quinn Livingston, ’10, crossed the ball over the defense to captain Michelle Rose, ’08.

“Last game we played rusty like we had been on break for too long, but last night we played one of our better games,” coach Garret Markarian. “We were able to get an early goal and take Tranquillity out of the game. Also, it was good to see us scoring on outside shots and crosses and not just break aways.”

Although Livingston missed her first attempt, she made her second for FC’s second goal, after Claire Kister, ’08, cleared the ball from midfield.

“I think we played well,” Michelle said. “I see the improvement we make in every game. Although, I still think we have quite a way to go, I am overall happy with the progress.”

Seven minutes later, senior captain Jennifer Rose?s shot deflected off of a Tiger defender towards Livingston. Livingston completed the goal with an assist from Ellie Wilhelm, ’08, for her second of the game.

With 10 minutes remaining in the first half, Jennifer dribbled up field and scored from 40 yards out. The half ended with the Tigers trailing, 4-0.

FC controlled the start of the second half when Jennifer threw the ball to mid-fielder Rebekah Wells, ’11. After several passes amongst the Eagles’ offense, Wells made a goal of her own to increase FC’s lead to 5-0.

Fifteen minutes later, Tranquillity broke through the Eagle defense to make the score 5-1.

However, four minutes after the Tigers’ only goal, FC extended their lead when Paige Powell, ’10, crossed the ball to forward Sophia Cook, ’10. Cook dummied the ball to Mary Kneefel, ’08, for a goal. The game ended with a 6-1 Eagle victory.

“It felt amazing to score my first goal,” Kneefel said. “I can not imagine how Quinn and the twins feel to score multiple times in one game. I saw the goalie come out of the box and it was a 50-50 ball. I charged it and prayed it would go in. My jaw literally dropped on the field and I just kind of stared at the goal for a minute.”

The Eagles will next travel to Liberty to start league play on Jan. 11.

“We have some tough games coming up,” Markarian said. “We need to have a good week of practice to get ready for Liberty and Fowler.”

GIRLS OFFENSE THRIVES AGAINST AVENAL IN 7-0 VICTORY–Jan. 4
The Eagles shutout Avenal to defeat the Lady Buccaneers, 7-0, on Jan. 4.

Ten minutes into the first half, sophomore Quinn Livingston broke past Avenal’s defense. Livingston crossed the ball to senior Michelle Rose who scored the first goal of the game.

After unsuccessful attempts on goal, Livingston finished a cross from Michelle to lead 2-0 early into the first half.

“Even though Avenal was down players and we had player advantage I don’t think we played up to our potential,” captain Jennifer Rose, ’08, said. “In the first half we struggled to string passes and play as a team. In the second half we had more control and better possession.”

With 10 minutes remaining in the half Livingston scored her second goal for the Eagles. Soon after a clear from the defense, Michelle shot from 15 yards out, barely escaping the opposing keepers grasp.

The Lady Buccaneers failed to capitalize on their few attempts on the Eagles’ goal. At the end of the first half, the Eagles held a 4-0 lead.

Michelle set up another opportunity to score when she distributed the ball to Jennifer within the first five minutes of the second half. After challenging Avenal to take the ball, Jennifer shot far post for a quick goal in the second half.

Senior Claire Kister took advantage of the Lady Buccaneers slow defensive start, and scored when her shot slipped past the keeper’s reach.

“Scoring my first goal was the most exhilarating moment in my soccer career,” Kister said. “I just wish I would have practiced my victory dance.”

As the game came to a close, Livingston added another goal from 20 yards out. The Eagles ended the game with a 7-0 victory.

GARCES HOLIDAY FESTIVAL–Dec. 14-15
EAGLES DEFEAT COAST UNION, EARN 5TH PLACE–Dec. 15
Despite a 5-0 defeat against Frazier Mountain hours before, the Eagles focused on shot-placement to beat Coast Union, 2-0, on Dec. 15.

18 minutes into the first half a foul against the Broncos led to a free kick. Senior Michelle Rose chipped the ball over Coast Unions defense to forward Quinn Livingston, ’10, to score the first goal of the game.

Although the Broncos obtained numerous opportunities to score, Michelle and goalie Marielle Desrosiers, held Coast Union at 0. The first half ended 1-0.

“The girls have made huge improvemnts,” assistant coach Christina Cabias said. “They have started looking more and more like a team. Passing is looking better, as long as we play our game we will be very successful.”

The second half was also filled with attempts to score on both sides of the field, however, only FC added to the scoreboard. The Eagles were called for a handball just outside the 18-yard line, yet Coast Union missed their opportunity.

“It felt good to score two goals,” forward Quinn Livingston said. “Our team is playing better but we still have some things that we need to improve on.”

Another free kick was given to the Eagles, again Rose chiped the ball over the Bronco defense line for Livingston to score, end the game 2-0 and finish 5th overall in the tournament.

The girls’ game against Laton on Dec. 18 has been postponed TBA. The Eagles will next host Avenal on Jan. 4.

FRAZIER SHUTS OUT EAGLES, 5-0–Dec. 15
Inexperienced and struggle for possession resulted in the Lady Eagles’ second loss of the tournament, against Frazier Mountain on Dec. 15.

Within the first 5 minutes of the game, the Falcons broke through the Eagles’ defensive line to score. Fraizer Mountain then followed their shots to score two more, to lead at half-time 3-0.

During the second half, Frazier attempted to cross the ball through middle, however, stopper Jennifer Sherfield, ?08, cleared the ball to the Eagle midfielders.

?It was really evident through their ability to communicate that they have played together for awhile,? Sherfield said. ?They were all together, a seasoned team. I was really proud of our girls for holding them off as much as we did, since we were missing two starters (Jennifer Rose, ’08, and Cassidy Hutchins, ’11) and one was injured (Rebecca Wells, ’11).?

The Eagles had few shots against the experienced team; possession was controlled by Frazier.

?I realized during this game how important it is to have everyone on the field giving it their all,? Michelle Rose said. ?The loss of Jennifer definitely weakened the middle of the field.?

With many shots on goal and a weak defense line, goalie Marielle Desroseirs, could not stop the strategy of the opposing offense. Shortly after another breakaway passed the defensive line to make it a 0-4 game.

The hesitancy of the Eagles allowed Frazier to score yet another goal, the end result was their 5-0 loss.

MAMMOTH LAKE HOLDS EAGLES, 2-2–Dec 14.
Lack of positioning kicks lead the Eagles to a tie against Mammoth Lake on Dec. 14.

Within the first two minutes the Huskies scored on a breakaway. The Huskies pressured the Eagle defense line and had numerous shots, but none passed goalie, Marielle Desrosiers, ’08.

“Mammoth Lake was a better team than Taft,” Desrosiers said. “They had more opprotunities to score and played a better possesion game than us.”

Thirteen minutes into the half, forward Quinn Livingston, ’10, stole the ball from a Huskie midfielder and dribbled passed the defenders to score FC’s first goal of the game.

Mintues later, Mammoth Lake earned a free kick off a foul and missed the shot. Three mintues later Jennifer Rose, ’08, kicked a long ball to Quinn Livingston to dribbled up the field to score her second goal of the game.

“It was a great feeling knowing that we could come back from being down,” Livingston said. “When more pressure is put upon us we play with a higher intensity and drive to win.”

The half ended with the Eagles ahead, 2-1.

Just 10 minutes into the second half Mammoth Lake once again broke through the Eagles’ defense to score. Though the Eagles’ had many more chances to score they could not capitalize on their opprotunities; to finish 2-2.

TAFT DEFEATS EAGLES, 2-1–Dec. 14
The Eagles lackadaisical start lead to their first loss against Taft in their 2-1 loss in the opening game of the Garces Holiday Festival (largest soccer tournament in America) on Dec. 14.

In the first 10 minutes of the game the Wildcats scored on a breakaway past the defense. Seven minutes later an Eagles’ scoring attempt was foiled. Half ended with the score 0-1 with the Eagles trailing.

“I don’t think we did that well in our game,” Megan Ortiz, ’09, said. “We were all over the place and couldn’t settle the ball, we had no stringed passes.”

With the loss of Cassidy Hutchins due to an illness, the line up change effected the teams’ defense. Keeper Marielle Desrosiers saved many shots but a ball over sweeper Melissa Lichti’s head allowed the wildcats to touch the ball in the goal.

“There was alot of confusion in our defense,” Lichti said. “I didn’t communicate with the other defenders well, so when i went after an opposing forward, a girl was left unmarked by the goal.”

After senior Jennifer Rose’s free kick hit the crossbar forward Quinn Livingston, ’10, nearly missed the goal with a header. With 10 minutes remaining in the game Jennifer kicked the ball over the Wildcats defense. Captain Michelle Rose got the ball and shot to make the score 2-1.

“We kept the pressure up in the second half from a dissapointing start,” Jennifer said. “Even though alot of our shots didn’t go in, we finally got a shot in. Although we didn’t win, we are learning how to play a better offense.”

Despite intensity in the last 10 minutes the Eagles had many attempts to score, Taft held the lead and win the game.

MENDOTA UNABLE TO STOP EAGLES, FC WINS, 2-0–Dec. 12
Despite the Eagles slow start they managed to put away two goals in the first half and defeated the Mendota Aztecs on Dec. 12.

In the first five minutes of the game forward Quinn Livingston’s, ’09, initial shot from the 10-yard line was deflected by the Aztecs, however, right midfielder Heather Litchi, ?10., recovered the ball, at the 18-yard line, to score the first goal of the game.

“I was running down the field when I stole the ball from the other team,” Lichti said. “At the 18 I toe bashed it and the goalie couldn’t reach it and it went in. It got me more pumped for the game and made me want to win.”

Lichti’s goal motivated the team to continue following up their shots, to create a greater deficit. Stopper Cassidy Hutchins, ’11, believes more energy at kickoff contributed to the win.

“I think the team played well tonight,” Hutchins said. “Heather had a great shot at the goal and applied what we have been working on in practice to a game.”

However FC?s attempts could not break Mendota?s drive to score. Less than 10 minutes after the Eagles’ goal, the Aztecs nearly evened the score, but senior goal keeper Marielle Desrosiers made the save.

“We have an awesome defense,” Desrosiers said. “Mendota was one of our most challenging teams so far. We actually had to start playing as a team, in the first half the defense was a little shaky but they definitely stepped up second half.”

In the 21st minute of the game a foul was called in the middle of the field against a Aztec forward. Senior captain Jennifer Rose kicked the ball towards the Mendota goal, and just as a defender reached the ball near the goalie, senior Michelle Rose slid knocking the ball towards the keeper. Livingston then scored on a tap in.

At half the Eagles lead, 2-0, and the score remained unchanged at the end game.

FC DEFEATS FIREBAUGH, 5-1–Dec. 11
After already playing Firebaugh in the Fowler tournament, FC travelled to win 5-1 on Dec. 11.

Off to a fast start with 2 quick goals in the first 10 minutes with goals by senior Michelle Rose and freshman Rebecca Wells. While keeping the ball on their offensive half of the field, FC pressured Firebaugh’s defense throughout the game.

Sophomore Quinn Livingston scored two goals when she challenged the keeper on breakaways.

“We played well in the first half,” coach Garret Markarian said. “But we had alot of opportunities to score that we should have made.”

At the end of the half, FC held a 4-0 lead.

A Firebaugh striker took advantage of confusion between senior goalie Marielle Desrosiers and junior sweeper Melissa Lichti breaking the shutout.

“We came down to the level of their team,” O’Leary said. “We could’ve played alot stronger, but at least we played clean and won.”

After only playing seven games together, the team seems to be blending together.

“We’ve really started to come together as a team,” O’Leary said. “But we still need to work on not starting out flat-footed, headers and first touches.”

EAGLES ADD TO WIN COLUMN, BEAT IMMANUEL, 6-0–Dec. 6
The girls’ traveled to Immanuel on Dec. 6 to take on the host Eagles in a downpour. Although the rain affected the field, FC defeated rival Immanuel, 6-0. With 4 goals from sophomore Quinn Livingston and 2 from senior Michelle Rose, the visitors dominated the match.

“I was happy with our team work and finishing,” coach Garret Markarian said. “We have a lot to work on but we are improving.”

FC opened the scoring in the first 10 minutes of the game; senior defender Claire Kister cleared the ball to Livingston and the striker dribbled up the field to score FC’s first goal. Nine minutes later center midfielder Jennifer Rose cleared the ball over the defense where Livingston ran onto the ball and shot back post. FC led, 2-0.

Minutes later Livingston crossed the ball to senior sweeper Michelle Rose; after the ball was passed back to Livingston; it narrowly missed the goal.

“We still need to be more physical and get more people involved on offence,” Markarian said. “I am overall happy with the result of the game but we need to keep on improving because Immanuel is not a good team.”

With 10 minutes remaining in the first half, senior keeper Marielle Desrosiers was replaced in net by junior Brittany Shafer who was asked to make a couple of saves to keep the shutout.

Immanuel broke through the defense, but Michelle cleared the ball out of harms way. Minutes later Shafer lost her grip on the ball and it fell 2 feet in front of her. An Immanuel striker dribbled and shot the ball, just missing the goal.

In the 21st minute of the game, Livingston passes the ball to Michelle. She shot low far post to score her first goal of the game. Three minutes later Rebecca Wells, ’11, dribbled up the field and passed to Michelle. Michelle kicked the ball to the right side of the goal, just out of the grasp of the keeper. FC led, 4-0, at the half.

“My goals had a lot to do with how well my teammates worked together with me,” Michelle said. “Immanuel was focusing too much on Quinn and left me unmarked for open shots. I just needed a quick pass and I stroked home the goals.”

Livingston’s third goal was on a break away 20 minutes into the second half and shot the ball at the 10-yard line to get the first goal of the second half. Nine minutes later Livingston received a pass from Jennifer and scored her fourth of the match.

“I have dreamt about scoring 4 goals in a game before, but I never thought that dream would ever become a reality, Livingston said. “I particularity liked the one when I was 8-yards from the keeper. I crossed to the left and drove it towards to net. The goalie attempted to stop the shot but it deflected off her hands and went in.”

FOWLER SOCCER TOURNAMENT–Nov. 29-Dec. 1
FOWLER DEFEATS FC, 5-1, FOR 3RD PLACE–Dec. 1
In the consolation match, FC fell to the host Fowler Redcats, 5-1, on Dec. 1.

Minutes into the first half, Fowler scored on a breakaway that appeared to be off sides. A Redcat added another goal after she bent a corner kick into the net which neither teams touched. Fowler’s third goal came on a chipped ball that avoided goalie Marielle Derosiers’s hands and into the goal. Fowler led at the end of the first half, 3-0.

“We came out flat and fell apart today,” senior midfielder Jennifer Rose said. “It was a disappointment because I knew we could have done a lot better. Fowler jumped on our mistakes and we folded.”

In the second half, FC fouled a Redcat just outside the 18-yard box. The Fowler player took a shot and made it past FC’s wall into the goal. Much like their first goal of the game, Fowler scored on a breakaway.

After Fowler’s 5th goal, senior captain Michelle Rose dribbled up the field and passed to sophomore Quinn Livingston who was on the run.

“Quinn and I play well together,” Michelle said. “She takes her actions on the field personally. If she makes a mistake, she does her best to fix it and improve the next time. She definitely adds speed on the field and is very quick and eager to go for the ball.”

Livingston’s cross with her left foot hit the opposite post and ricocheted into the net. This would be the only goal for the Eagles.

“I was heading down the field with a defender following behind,” Livingston said. “When I shot with my nondominate foot, I was just hoping that it would go in. When it did, it felt amazing.”

Even though both teams had many more chances to score, the teams could not finish a ball into a goal.

“After a disappointing start to the season, I was glad to see us starting to string passes together,” Jennifer said. “At the end of the two games we won, we realized starting out flat-footed allowed the other team capitalize on opportunities to score. This year scoring has become more difficult because we are starting with almost brand new team. Even though we are struggling to get goals in, I hope later on in the season we will connect passes, finish shots, head the ball and have good touches.”

FC placed 4th out of 16 teams in the Fowler Tournament, Nov. 29-Dec. 1. However, a bright spot came later in the day when Jennifer Rose, Michelle’s twin sister, was named to the All-Tournament team.

“I personally did not know that there was an all-tournament award,” Jennifer said. “I understand all the tournament coaches determined that I stood out amongst the players. I am honored to receive the award.”

PARLIER DEFEATS EAGLES, 2-0, IN SEMI-FINALS–Dec. 1
After consecutive wins, the Eagles looked to extend their win streak to three in their match against Parlier, Dec. 1. The Panthers halted the Eagles’ hopes with their 2-0 victory.

Lack of aggression in the first five minutes of the game resuled in Parlier’s first goal. The Panthers scored their 1st goal after the ball hit the crossbar and a Panther tapped the ball into the net.

While FC had many opportunities for shots on goal, they failed to make it on frame.The score remained 1-0 throughout the first half.

“Our team is a very new, young team,” senior striker Michelle Rose said. “We only had a week and a half with everyone together in practice before the tournament. I don?t think we were as prepared as we should have been for the tournament; we struggled to learn the basics. After that dreaded first game, the girls seemed determined to be successful.”

Early in the second half, Parlier scored again when the 18-yard box became cluttered with players. A Panther shot the ball while goalie Marielle Derosiers’ vision was blocked. The game ended 2-0.

“I have faith in these girls to compete against difficult teams and grow together as a team,” Rose said. “Each game so far I saw the girls working more together, passing the ball, clearing it out, and forming how a team should play.”

FC EVENS RECORD, DEFEAT FIREBAUGH, 3-1–Nov. 30
Half way through the first half the Eagles took a lead they would never relinquish and went on to beat Firebaugh, 3-1, on Nov. 30. WIth the win, FC advanced to the semi-finals tomorrow at 9 A.M.

Senior Michelle Rose continues to lead the Eagle offense. She played a ball to sophomore Quinn Livingston in the midfield and Livingston carried it right and drove a ball off a defender from the 18-yard box.

The second half belonged to the Eagles as they dominated play. Livingston scored her second of the game after senior Jennifer Rose’s shot was dropped by the keeper and Livingston sent it to the back of the net post side.

With 20 minutes remaining in the match, Michelle banked a shot off the poll from 20 yards and her sister Jennifer finished on the rebound from 25 yards out.

EAGLES EARN 1ST WIN, DEFEAT CARUTHERS, 1-0–Nov. 30
Senior Michelle Rose sent a ball into space and sophomore Quinn Livingston ran it down, dribbled into the box and scored the only goal the Eagles would need to earn their first win of the young season on Nov. 30.

Both Caruthers and FC had many opportunities to score but neither were able to finish in the second day of the Fowler Tournament.

STRATHMORE HOLDS ON, DEFEATS FC, 1-0–Nov. 29
After losing to Corcoran in the morning, the Eagles faced Strathmore in the afternoon on Nov. 29. Both teams had already played a match and were sluggish throughout, neither producing many good chances on offense.

Strathmore scored the only goal of the match just minutes before the first half ended. And while the Eagles did push forward in the second half, the Spartans defense held, handing FC their second loss in as many games.

CORCORAN DEFEATS FC, 3-1, IN OPENER–Nov. 29
The girls opened their season in Fowler as part of the Fowler Tournament but were caught flat-footed by a spirited Corcoran team and lost, 3-1, on Nov. 29.

The Panthers opened the scoring in the third minute as their striker was able to dribble uncontested in the middle and drove a ball home from inside the 18-yard box.

Later in the first half, Corcoran scored on a set play 25 yards out. The Eagle keeper, senior Marielle Desrosiers, did not appear set after directing her teammates in front of her and the Panther midfielder drove the ball through a unprepared wall to score Corcoran’s second goal.

The Panthers scored again minutes later after a mass of players were wildly kicking the ball inside the box. As Desrosiers searched for the ball amid the bodies, it deflected in to give Corcoran a 3-0 lead.

FC got on the board after Michelle Rose was fouled in the box and subsequently scored on a penalty kick into the upper left corner of the goal.

Neither team was able to muster much offense in the second half. The Panthers had 6 shots on frame for the game while the Eagles had 5 shots.

The Eagles will play Firebaugh and Caruthers in day two of the Fowler Tournament, Nov. 30.