Athlete adds soccer to resume

In anticipation for the baseball season, some athletes fill the winter months with other competitive sports.

After two years of high school, Stephen Willems, ’08, opted to add soccer to his resume of varsity sports.

“Some of many friends were trying to get me to play, but I was unsure if I would like it,” Willems said. “I went out last year and I really enjoy it. The camaraderie among teammates is something I have not experienced before.”

As an underclassman to 13 seniors, Willems saw little playing time in his first full soccer season.

“This year’s team is much younger than last year’s,” Willems said. “We have a need for the new seniors to step up and fill the roles from last year.’

Head coach Matt Markarian recognizes the difficulty of learning a new sport while playing at the varsity level.

“Most of the kids we play have been playing soccer since a young age,” Markarian said. “It is hard for the new players because they have to learn everything during our short practices.”

Many reasons support athlete’s decisions to play a sport, but the soccer warm-ups was only a plus to the choice.

“I knew that the team got warm-ups,” Willems said, “although my final decision obviously not based on them.”

As the team transitions to the new size of 16, down from 24 last season, Willems recognizes the need to improve all facets of his game.

“When you have a large team, there will be some players that see little playing time,” Willems said. “With less people, everyone will have to do their part and be in the rotation for subs during each game.”

The consistent favorite memory from soccer players past and present is the Garces Holiday Soccer Festival, held in Bakersfield each December.

“During Garces, the team gets to hangout and play video games in between games,” Willems said. “Last year we had a rap contest the first night and it caught me off-guard, I was not prepared at all.”

After contemplating ways to motivate his players, Markarian decided to incorporate a challenge to his senior players.

“Each year at Garces, I make a bet with the seniors that involves shaving somebody’s head,” Markarian said. “If the team takes the bet and wins two out of their four pool play games; I have to shave me head.”

The tradition is now in its 5th year and the seniors are looking for their first victory.

“The two years that the seniors did not take the bet, they won the games,” Clay Alcorn, ’10, said. “Last year, they not only won the two games, but took home the third place trophy. That was the best showing one of our teams has had at Garces.”

Five of the six seniors have attended FC all four years of high school. Through these years, the class of ’08 participants has grown from one to six.

“The transition from junior high to high school is difficult for many students,” Markarian said. “Sometimes it takes a few years for the freshman to get comfortable with their surroundings and play a sport.”

Alumnus and current assistant coach Tyler Enns, ’06, recognized Willems determination to refine his skills.

“Steve is going to be a key player this year,” Enns said. “He has proven this through his great effort everyday at practice. In the alumni game, he showed us he can compete and outwork very skilled players.”