Boys’ soccer sport shorts, 2007-08

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2007-08–
(Latest soccer shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Tournament and scrimmage games do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for soccer features)

For the 07-08 schedule or standings and stats, click on Maxpreps.com. FC is 2-21-2 overall and 0-8 in the Northwest Sierra League as of Feb. 5.

BOYS’ SOCCER, 2007-08

[Season end]

Update, Feb. 12: Junior captain Vincent Cabias and Tyler Chessum, ’11, were selected to the First Team All-League in boys’ soccer this season. Senior captain Coleton Hutchins and Clay Alcorn, ’10, were also acknowledged and voted Second Team All-League.

FINAL SECONDS PROVE FATAL FOR EAGLES–Feb. 8
The Eagles concluded their season with a 2-1 loss to the Riverdale Cowboys, Feb. 8.

FC was awarded a free kick in the first five minutes of play giving the Eagles an early opportunity to score.

Sophomore Tyler Chessum lofted the ball 40 yards from frame and connected with fellow sophomore Clay Alcorn. Alcorn settled the ball in the 6-yard box and slotted the ball into the side net.

“Our best scoring opportunities against Riverdale were on free kicks,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “Chessum played a great ball and Alcorn stayed composed shooting. It was a nice-looking play.”

The Eagles defense held firm for the majority of the first half, but let up in the 35th minute of play. Riverdale capitalized on the Eagles let down and tied the score at 1.

During halftime, Markarian recognized his seniors: midfielder Andrew Biehler, co-captain Coleton Hutchins, midfielder Ryan Martens and markingback Sean O’Neal, for their contribution to the team this season.

Each player received a bonquet of flowers that the seniors gave to their moms.

Both teams fervently attacked the opponent’s goal and took numerous shots on frame. As regulation time came to a close, free kicks were awarded for various fouls, but neither team was able to pull ahead.

With less than a minute to play, Riverdale was awarded a free kick from the side of the 18-yard box. A Cowboy striker narrowly headed the ball over both the keeper’s hand and another Eagle defender to seal the victory.

Despite the Eagles’ attempt to make one last scoring run, time expired and the season came to an end.

Markarian appreciated the determination this year’s seniors showed for the underclassman.

“The seniors this year played hard and that is why we were in every game,” Markarian said. “In fact, the whole team gave everything they had. Even if the record is not where we wanted it to be, the guys never gave up.”

FINAL MINUTE PROVES FATAL IN LOSS–Feb. 5
In an effort to start a renewed intensity, the Eagles brought back their gold jerseys from the 2004-05 season. The visiting Liberty Hawks spoiled FC’s attempt to spark a change in the Eagles’ 2-1 loss, Feb. 5.

While FC hopes of a playoff run are out of the question this season, the Eagles hoped to spoil the hopes of the Hawks.

The game was scoreless for the opening 30 minutes, but changed when a Liberty striker dribbled past the Eagle defense and past the sliding keeper.

“We cannot afford to give up garbage goals early in the game,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “Our offense has never been high scoring which makes every goal allowed that much more devastating.”

In the second half, FC tightened up their defense and pushed forward, giving the offense a chance to tie the score.

Center midfielder Tyler Chessum, ’10, took advantage of a Hawk breakdown and dribbled past all of Liberty’s defenders down the line towards the corner flag. Chessum’s lofted pass was redirected by Shane Darakjian’s, ’09, header and alluded the keeper, tying the score at 1-1.

“The set-up of the play was a lot like Chivas, a drill from practice,” Darakjian said. “I just waited for Chessum’s cross and that was it.”

With one minute left to play in regulation, Liberty was awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal. While the Eagles scrambled in an effort to stop any Hawk player from scoring, the direct kick ricocheted through the mud-filled 6-yard box past the Eagle keeper.

Despite FC’s attempt to reset the ball and tie the score, the game was called with Liberty on top 2-1.

The Eagles will next host Riverdale for their final game of the season, Feb. 5.

EAGLES CONTINUE FREE FALL–Feb. 1
In their final away game of the season, the Eagles were shutout, 6-0, by the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Feb. 1.

Within the first minute of play, Caruthers scored when a striker headed the ball over an Eagle defender and into the sidenet. The Blue Raiders continued to punish the Eagles with their speed and finished the half with a 4-0 lead.

“I do not know what has happened the last few games,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “We have seem to regress, we are not playing like we did earlier in the year.”

FC was able to halt the Raider offense for the opening 15 mins. of the second, but Caruthers were able to break the Eagle defense for two more goals in the half.

Markingback Gerald Bell, ’10, left the game with less than twenty minutes to play after suffering an injury to his foot. Bell is expected to play in the Eagles next game at home against Liberty from Madera Ranchos, Feb. 5.

EAGLES FALL APART IN SECOND HALF–Jan. 29
The Eagles opened the second half of league play with a 6-1 loss to the Fowler Redcats, Jan. 29.

Despite playing after the girls’ team, the Eagles came out determined for the majority of the first half. Fowler scored off a corner kick with less than 10 minutes remaining in the opening half when a Redcat midfielder narrowly tapped the ball past an Eagle defender.

Fowler added another goal shortly after the second half began, but FC’s constant pressure provided some scoring opportunities.

The Eagles were awarded a direct kick just outside the 18-yard box after a Redcat defender was called for hands.

Center midfielder Tyler Chessum, ’09, shot towards Fowler’s four man wall through the hole senior captain Coleton Hutchins made. The shot deflected amidst the feet of both the Redcats and Hutchins and squeezed past the goalie.

FC’s comeback was short-lived as Fowler added four more goals in the final 20 minutes.

“We played great for the first 50 to 60 minutes of the game,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “In fact, it looked like we were the better team early in the game. Unfortunately we did not continue to control the game in the final 20 minutes of play.”

Markarian appreciated the energy and effort that junior John Dinsdale displayed during the game.

“If someone is going to play hard, they will find playing time,” Markarian said. “Today Dinsdale gave it all he had. That’s why he saw a lot of playing time.”

Sweeper Clay Alcorn, ’10, feels the team’s record is not an adequate measure for the team’s ability.

“We fight so hard and are in every game we play,” Alcorn said. “The scoreboard doesn’t lie, but it rarely tells the whole truth and that is our problem.”

Despite the disappointment of the season thus far, Dinsdale feels the team holds a solid foundation for the future.

“I think our young team is learning to come together on the field,” Dinsdale said. “I hope by next season our team will have enough experience under our belt to go back to playoffs and win Valley.”

EARLY DEFICIT TOO MUCH FOR EAGLES–Jan. 25
With their roster narrowed down to 12 players, the Eagles were unable to keep pressure on the visiting Dos Palos Broncos in FC’s 1-0 loss, Jan. 25.

Senior markingback Sean O’Neal and sophomore center midfielder Tyler Chessum were unable to play due to illnesses, limiting the Eagle bench to one substitution.

Dos Palos scored off a cross in the first fifteen minutes of play. While FC attempted to clear the ball from their 18-yard box, a Bronco striker shot through both teams giving Dos Palos the 1-0 lead.

FC was physically out-hustled for most of the first half and Dos Palos captialized on the lack of effort with their goal.

The Eagles showed more heart throughout the second half preventing Dos Palos from adding to their lead. FC also created several scoring opportunities, but were unable to convert them into goals.

The emotions and physicality of both teams resulted in three yellow cards for the Eagles and one red card for Dos Palos.

While head coach Matt Markarian was disappointed in his team’s first half effort, he appreciated the change during the second half.

“We let Dos Palos do whatever they wanted in the first half,” Markarian said. “I was proud of the way the guys showed some heart and determination in the final half. It is hard to win when we don’t score, but the effort was there.”

RIVERDALE DEFENDS THEIR HOME FIELD WITH 4-0 WIN–Jan. 22
The Eagles ended the first half of league play with their 4-0 loss against Riverdale, Jan. 22.

With starting left markingback Sean O’Neal, ’08, unavaible due to an illness, the Eagles were forced to jumble their line up with the remaining 13 players. Freshman Andrew Evans was moved from right midfielder to markingback and junior John Dinsdale filled Evans position.

“Overwhelmed and excited does not begin to describe my feelings at starting,” Dinsdale said. “Despite the constant rain, I felt we played against the weather and the opposing team to the best of our ability.”

Within the opening 15 minutes of play, the Riverdale Cowboys held a 2-0 lead. Confusion amongst defenders and other unmarked Cowboys provided constant trouble for the Eagles’ defense.

The second half played out much like the first half. Riverdale added two more goals to extend their lead to 4-0.

Head coach Matt Markarian felt his team did not play to their potential.

“There were a few players who wanted to play today,” Markarian said. “We need effort from all our players, even if we are shorthanded, to play hard the entire game.”

The Eagles will next host to play Dos Palos, Jan. 25.

EAGLES OFFENSE WAKES UP TOO LATE IN LOSS–Jan. 18
The Eagles hoped to win a league game at home before playing away next week, but the Caruthers Blue Raiders spoiled FC’s plan. FC ‘s comeback was too late as the Eagles lost, 2-1, Jan. 18.

Neither team was able to score in the first half as the fast paced Caruther’s offense was unable to penetrate the Eagles defense.

“Everytime Caruthers got the ball, they would continue to put pressure on our defense by pushing the tiempo,” stopper Drew Wiese, ’09, said. “We are a defensive team so Caruthers was playing too one of our strong suits.”

An indirect kick was awarded to the Blue Raiders 20 minutes into the second half. Caruthers scored as their shot was bent around the Eagle’s wall and narrowly alluded junior captain Vince Cabias’ hands.

Cauthers added another goal on a breakaway to extend their led to two goals.

With less than three minutes to play, FC was awarded an indirect kick 10 yards from frame. Sophomore Tyler Chessum scored in the upper left corner of the goal.

Junior striker Shane Darakjian had three close shots throughout the game that missed the goal by less than a foot.

Head coach Matt Markarian remains optimistic about his team’s effort.

“We are in all the games we play,” Markarian said. “Since we are not a high scoring offense, we need to hold our opponents to no more than one goal a game. We have been playing well as a team and everyone is giving good effort.

EARLY LEAD FAILS IN 2-1 LOSS AGAINST REDCATS–Jan. 15
While the Eagles got on the board early, the Fowler Redcats overcame the deficit to defeat the home Eagles, 2-1, Jan 15.

FC controlled the early part of the game by possessing the ball and consistently putting pressure on the Redcat defense.

Within the first fifteen minutes of play, the Eagles scored off a penalty kick outside the 18-yard box. Center midfielder Tyler Chessum, hit fellow sophomore and markingback Gerald Bell, in full stride with his lofted pass. Bell out-jumped the Fowler defender and scored on a header over the keeper’s arms.

The Redcats regained their composure and evened the score off of a corner kick. The ball was headed amongst both team’s players in the goal box and ended with a Fowler header, tying the score at 1-1.

Both teams were unable to break the tie until late in the second half. The Redcats took advantage of an unmarked striker who redirected a cross past an Eagle defender.

While the Eagles fell to an 0-2 record in league, head coach Matt Markarian appreciated the effort his team displayed.

“The guys played hard the entire game,” Markarian said. “There were a few plays where we could have done things differently, but the effort was there. We are not a high scoring team, and we need to make our one or two goal leads stand.”

PHYSICAL GAME ENDS WITH EAGLE DEFICIT–Jan. 11
In their second meeting of the year, the Eagles sought revenge for their previous loss. The Liberty Hawks were able to squeeze through FC’s defenses to win, 2-0, Jan. 11.

The Hawks scored their first goal of the match off of a corner kick during the first half. Liberty knocked the ball in amidst both team’s players attempting to gain control of the ball in the 6-yard box.

In the second half, the Eagles were given 5 yellow cards with the home team receiving none, despite the physical play of both sides. Left midfielder Andrew Evans, ’11, was given two cards that automatically formed a soft red card.

Liberty added another goal in the middle of the half with a shot that passed over keeper Vincent Cabias’s hand.

Unlike previous games, the Eagles played aggressive, physical soccer the entire match.

“We played much better than we did the first time against Liberty,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “The guys played aggressively the entire game.”

Liberty held on to their lead and opened league play with a 2-0 victory.

EAGLES FALL IN FINAL MINUTES TO TRANQUILLITY–Jan. 8
Despite the temperature hovering around 40 degrees Farhenheit and a steady rain throughout the game, the Eagles challenged the undefeated Tranquillity Tigers in their final match before league play, Jan. 8. The final minutes proved fatal for FC as a late goal gave the Tigers the 2-1 victory.

FC encountered a similar story as they allowed Tranquillity to score a goal, finding themselves at in early deficit.

“It never ceases to amaze me how our team continues to overcome early deficits,” senior captain Coleton Hutchins said. “Today was another great example of their determination. Even though this is the worst weather we have played in by far this season, we did not let it effect us.”

After regaining their focus on defense, the Eagles evened the score when junior Shane Darakjian made his shot from the top of the 18-yard box. Darakjian used his left foot to pass the ball past a diving keeper at the beginning of the second half.

“During halftime, the team made a point to make sure we continued to talk amongst ourselves on the field,” Hutchins said. “Shane had been talking most of the first half and I am not surprised he was in the right position for the shot.

As the rain continued its descent, both FC and Tranquillity took several attempts to assume a lead. The Tigers finally broke through when an unmarked striker made a backside run and tapped in the ball.

Despite numerous runs down the field, the Eagles were unable to capitalize on their opportunities resulting in the Tigers’ 2-1 victory.

“It is important that we play hard the full 80 minutes,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “We made another mistake late in the game and it cost us.”

MOMENTUM FADES IN SECOND HALF AGAINST AVENAL–Jan. 4
After losing to the Avenal Buccaneers in the second round of playoffs last season, the Eagles hoped to get revenge with a victory, Jan. 4. Unfortunately for the home team, the Buccaneers dominated the second half of their 5-1 victory.

FC gave up two goals early in the first half with their defensive players unable to get a solid footing on the mud-drenched field.

With some starting players absent, FC was forced to rearrange their lineup to accommodate the holes.

The Eagles closed the gap in the 33rd minute when left midfielder Andrew Biehler, ’08, played the ball into space to striker Andrew Evans, ’11. Evans took a shot from the top of the 18-yard box, but striker Brian Weskamp, ’09, tapped in the rebounded ball. At the end of the half, FC was in a 2-1 deficit.

“We played really well the first half,” senior captain Coleton Hutchins said. “Much like the Garces tournament, we were able to not let an early deficit completely take us out of the game.”

The Buccaneers took control of the ball in the second half adding three goals on defensive miscues.

“The goals in the second half were like early season mistakes,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “We played very well the first half, but we cannot give away backside marks.”

GARCES HOLIDAY FESTIVAL–Dec. 14-15
BRONZE DIVISION

EAGLES SUCCUMB TO FRONTIER IN FINALS, 2-0–Dec. 15
Still excited from their win earlier in the day, the Eagles challenged Frontier in the finals on Dec. 15. FC fell to Frontier 2-0.

In their sixth game in three days, the Eagles showed signs of fatigue, giving up both goals in the first half.

FC put a halt to their opponents’ offense during the second half, but failed to make any goals of their own.

Despite the loss, head coach Matt Markarian praised the team for their all-around improvement during the annual tournament.

“We are a thousand times better than we were when we came here,” Markarian said. “The mistakes we make are less often and we are doing what we want to, improve each game.”

FC WINS AFTER PKS, ADVANCE TO FINALS–Dec. 15
In the first round of playoffs, the Eagles defeated Frazier Mountain in penalty kicks, Dec. 15.

Similar to their game in the morning, the Eagles jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first half. Center midfielder Tyler Chessum, ’10, outran a Frazier defender and made his shot into the upper right-v of the goal.

In the second half, Frazier tied the game when their striker slid Gerald Bell from behind poking the ball into the net. Neither team scored for the rest of the half.

With the conclusion of regulation play, the teams entered a penalty shootout. FC was represented by: captain Vince Cabias, ’09, center midfielder Tyler Chessum, ’10, midfielder Gerald Bell, ’10, senior captain Coleton Hutchins and sweeper Clay Alcorn, ’10.

Frazier started off the penalty kicks and scored two out of five while Hutchins and Alcorn scored for the Eagles.

“I volunteered to go last so I knew that I would have a lot of pressure,” Alcorn said. “I knew what I wanted to do before I took the shot. Hit the ball low to the left corner of the net, and I did.”

The teams entered one and one penalty kicks and FC won in the third round after striker Brian Weskamp, ’09, who played on a sprained ankle, made his shot after a Frazier miss.

“Before shooting, I was unsure of the outcome,” Weskamp said. “I thought about the things Matt (Markarian) has taught us and (Tyler) Chessum said to not think about it. I took a deep breath and hit it. I turned around and my teammates were running and screaming at me. We were all excited.”

Cabias made four blocks in his first career penalty shootout.

“With confidence I blocked their shots,” Cabias said. “I told them it was my box and I trusted my ability.”

Assistant coach Tyler Enns, ’07, recognized FC’s dedication and will to win with all of their players suffering from injuries of varying degrees.

“We have 16 players on this team, but in the second day of the tournament the number of healthy players has dropped to twelve,” Enns said. “Despite their obvious fatigue and discomfort, they continue to play hard.”

WARRIORS RECOVER FROM DEFICITS TO DEFEAT EAGLES, 4-2–Dec. 15
Although the Eagles scored the first goal of the game and took the lead twice the Tehachapi Warriors regained control of the game second half. The Warriors closed the game with four points to the Eagles’ two on Dec. 15.

Midfielder Tyler Chessum scored partway through the first half after keeper Vincent Cabias punted the ball over the heads of the Warrior’s defense. The elated Eagles then held the lead for the rest of the 30 minute half.

“It was our best half so far,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “Even though we didn’t win we showed that we can compete with much larger schools and higher division teams.”

The Warrior scored their first goal, but bumbled a defensive clear off of striker Shane Darakjian’s, 09, corner kick to give the Eagles their second point in the final half.

Even though the Eagles controlled the ball most of the game they could not come back from a two point deficit so late in the game.

EARLY LEAD SQUANDERED, EAGLES TIE KERN VALLEY, 1-1–Dec. 14
With a one game break, FC was able to refocus before their evening game against Kern Valley, Dec. 14. Unfortunately, the Eagles gave up an earlier lead and tied their opponents 1-1.

FC got an early lead during the first half when striker Gerald Bell, ’10, received a cross from fellow striker Shane Darakjian, ’09. Bell’s shot evaded the keeper’s hand for a 1-0 Eagle lead.

On a corner kick, Kern Valley was able to tie the score at 1.

The second half gave the Eagles several opportunities to score, but their lack of composure prevented them from regaining a lead.

“We had so many opportunities to score,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “When the goalie is the last one between the ball and the goal, we need to learn to stay composed. We had the chances, but we need to finish.”

EAGLES SHUTOUT IN FIRST POOL PLAY GAME–Dec. 14
After traveling late the previous night to Bakersfield, the boys’ team challenged the Bullard Knight’s JV team in their first game of pool play. FC lost 4-0 in the afternoon match-up of the Garces Holiday Festival on Dec. 14.

Both teams possessed the ball for much of the game, but the Knights were able to capitalize with their chances.

Bullard scored three of their four goals in the first half.

Despite FC’s efforts, their offense was held scoreless and Bullard defeated FC, 4-0.

EARLY LEAD NOT ENOUGH IN 2-1 LOSS TO MENDOTA–Dec. 13
The Eagles returned home after a two game road trip to play the Mendota Aztecs on Dec. 13. Mendota extended the boys’ losing streak to 3 games with their 2-1 victory.

For the first time this season, FC’s offense strung together enough passes for an early lead. Senior captain Coleton Hutchins, center midfielder, played a through ball to striker Brian Weskamp, ’09, who out ran an Aztec defender and chipped the ball over the keeper’s hands.

“As soon as the ball was played I thought I had a good chance at it,” Weskamp said. “Despite some physical play ending with a scratch above my left eye, the goal was amazing.”

Unfortunately for the Eagles, their lead was spoiled when the Aztec sweeper lofted a free kick from half field over the goalie’s head.

The second half brought about a similar story for the Eagles as an unmarked backside runner tapped in another goal for the Aztecs. This lead would not be relinquished.

“Both the goals we let score should never have happened,” head coach Matt Markarian said. “We need to always be marking someone when the opponent has the ball. Our goal is to improve every game and this is one of the things we need to work on.”

FC’s best chance to score again came in the final minute of play. Three different Eagles had shots at frame that were deflected back to them.

SCORING DROUGHT ENDS FOR EAGLES IN 5-1 LOSS–Dec. 11
FC?s early struggles allowed Firebaugh to capitalize in the first half of their 5-1 win Dec. 11.

Backside runs punished the FC defenders for 4 out of their 5 goals. The fifth goal was an own goal.

?Many of the teams we play use the same strategy we experienced tonight,? head coach Matt Markarian said. ?We have to anticipate the runs and not be surprised when they come. We were caught watching the ball instead of marking a man.?

The visiting Eagles rebounded in the second half and suffocated Firebaugh?s offense.

Despite surrendering a penalty kick to Firebaugh, goalie Vincent Cabias, ?09, made a crucial save to ignite FC.

Center midfielder Tyler Chessum, ?10, broke FC?s season-long scoring drought late in the second half.

?I had a good look at frame and I took it,? Chessum said. ?The shot eluded their keeper?s hands as it hooked into the lower left side net. I was very excited that we finally scored.?

FC was limited to 14 players as senior Stephen Willems and junior Shane Darakjian were unable to play due to injuries sustained last week.

EAGLES OFFENSIVE STRUGGLES CONTINUE IN 2-0 LOSS–Dec. 5
A day after their home opener, the Eagles travel to Visalia to take on the Central Valley Christian Cavaliers. FC showed signs of fatigue in their 2-0 loss on Dec. 5.

Defensive mental mistakes resulted in CVC’s first goal of the game. In the eleventh minute, Jared Irvine, a Cavalier midfielder, made a backside run allowing an unchallenged goal.

In the second half, FC’s closest opportunity to score came from freshman Will Gonzales. An unmarked Gonzales controlled the ball at the left corner of the goal box and shot to the low left corner of the goal. CVC’s goalie had to make a diving grab to prevent a goal.

“I called for the ball because I knew I had a good shot at a goal,” Gonzales said. “The shot would have scored, but there keeper made a nice grab to stop it.”

Irvine added another goal late in the second half when he shot from the corner of the 18-yard box. Both Eagle and Cavalier bodies prevented FC keeper Vincent Cabias from a clear view of the shot.

Despite the slow start, head coach Matt Marakarian remains optimistic about the team’s future.

“CVC is probably the best team we have played this year, by far,” Markarian said. “We like the challenge that these bigger schools bring because it stretches our whole team. Our goal is to continue to improve with each game.

Striker Stephen Willems, ’08, was unable to play due to a knee injury sustained against Sierra.

LINE-UP CHANGE BRINGS NEW RESULT FOR EAGLES IN TIE–Dec. 4
With a disappointing result from the previous weekend and stagnant offense, head coach Matt Markarian made a key line-up change. Instead of losing 3-0 to Sierra, the Eagles overcame their early season struggles with a tie, 0-0, on Dec. 4.

Markarian moved sophomore Clay Alcorn to sweeper while moving senior captain Coleton Hutchins to center midfielder.

“I was really proud of the way the players on defense raised there aggressiveness today,” Hutchins said. “Clay made a seamless transition into his new position. His willingness to change positions is a testament to the kind of player and person Clay is.”

Junior Drew Wiese was given the duty of guarding Sierra’s top offensive player.

“Sierra’s striker really took it too us last Thursday night,” Markarian said. “I told Drew that it was his job to slow him done and keep him from getting good looks at goal. Drew did just that.”

The Eagles challenged Sierra for every ball allowing FC’s offense to get shots on goal.

“We have to come out each day and play hard all the time,” Markarian said. “We are not good enough to come out and win if we play half-hearted. Today was a perfect example of what happens when we play hard for 80 minutes. Hopefully next time we will get a goal.”

Sophomore Tyler Chessum missed FC’s closest goal late in the second half when Shane Darakjian, ’09, made a cross from the corner of the 18-yard box..

“Shane made a beautiful cross and I was wide open,” Chessum said. “I tried to kick the ball in the left upper-v of the goal, but I was too stiff. I should have made it, it was such and easy goal.

SIERRA MOUNTAIN MATCH UP–Nov. 30-Dec.1
FIRST HALF PROVES FATAL IN 5-0 LOSS–Dec. 1
In the second day of the Sierra Mountain Match-up, the Eagles challenged the Liberty Hawks. The league opponents devestated the Eagles with their 5-0 victory on Dec. 1.

FC let the Hawks dominate the first half with four goals in the opening 20 min.

“The game was a mix of bad effort and everyone having a bad day,” Stephen Willems, ’08, said.

Head coach Matt Markarian mixed up the line-up in the second half in an effort to overcome the team’s scoring drought.

Markarian moved senior captain Coleton Hutchins to stopper from sweeper, a position he held in each of the previous matches.

After the change, the Eagles frustrated the Hawks’ offense and challenged their defense with many down field runs.

“We need to play from beginning to end with the same amount of focus as the second half,” Willems said. “Overall, we need more passion.”

The Hawks added to their lead when a striker bent the ball near the corner of the field into the opposite sidenet.

Once again, the Eagles were held scoreless, but will adjust their line-up to spark some offense.

“Hopefully our forwards will begin to drop back and call for the ball,” Clay Alcorn, ’10, said. “We hope to play more one-twos with the strikers and catch the opponents’ defense off-guard.”

FC won their second game of the day by forfeit after Clovis West JV failed to show up for the match.

EAGLES FACE SIMILAR STORY IN SECOND GAME–Nov. 30
After a one game break, the Eagles anticipated to continue their improvement with a win against the Chowchilla Redskins, Nov. 30.
Another late game goal proved sufficient in the Eagles 1-0 loss.

In the final ten minutes of the first half, the Eagles were able to control and move the ball around the Chowchilla players. The offense had opportunities to score, but were unable to effectively finish a shot.

“Yesterday, we played very unorganized,” Clay Alcorn, ’10, said. “We had never really played a game before, but today the teamed played with much more intensity.”

A Redskin striker broke the scoreless tie with his shot from the top right corner of the 18-yard box. Both the striker and senior captain Coleton Hutchins fell to the ground as the shot sailed over the keeper’s hands and into the far post sidenet.

During the second half, FC struggled to regain their offense prowess of the first half and fell to the Redskins, 1-0.

EAGLES IMPROVE AFTER SEASON OPENER–Nov. 30
The Eagles varsity soccer team played their second game of their season at the Sierra Mountain Tournament versus Yosemite High Badgers on Nov. 30.

The Badgers won, 1-0, with the only goal scored in the last five minutes of the game due to a ball bumble.

?We played much more physical this game than our first game,? Sean O?Neal, ?08, said. ?Unfortunately in the last minutes of the game, Yosemite scored on a freak accident.?

GREEN TEAM GETS FEET WET IN LOSS–Nov. 29
With seven new starters, FC challenged Sierra High in an exhibition match on Nov. 29. Sierra beat the Eagles, 3-0, at Chuckchansi Park before the Fresno Fuego game against Chivas.

“Playing at Chuckchansi was amazing,” Stephen Willems, ’08, said. “Unlike our field, the grass was actually green. When you are on the field, the stadium looks so much bigger.”

Unmarked defensive assignments resulted in Sierra’s first goal in the eleventh minute of the game.

“After we graduated 11 seniors from last season, there was obviously several holes to fill in the line-up,” senior captain Coleton Hutchins said. “We still have some work to do on both offense and defense and hopefully we can come out tomorrow and start making some changes.”

Before the end of the half, Sierra added another goal, this time from the top of the 18-yard box, to extend their lead to 2.

Junior captain Vincent Cabias held Sierra to one goal in the final half, but the Eagle’s offense failed to narrow the gap.

Sierra’s defense held FC to minimal shot attempts and held on for the win, 3-0.