Music department launches Christmas spirit

Christmas tunes and harmonius voices mingle together in the santuary as the concert begins. The junior high and high school music department will perform their annual Christmas concert at Riverpark Bible Church on Dec. 10 at 7 P.M.

The concert will feature all of the campus music groups: junior high and high school jazz bands, jr. high and high school ensembles, high school womens? chorale, high school concert choir and concert band.

“Concerts are the way we, as musicians, showcase our hard work and glorify God,” James Loomis, band director, said. “We’ve been preparing for quite some time and look foward to presenting our music as a Christmas celebration.”

The concert band will perform three songs: “A Cantebury Christmas”, “Appalachian Carol” and “Christmas Rock!”. The high school jazz band will also play three songs: “Frosty the Snowman”, “Big Band Holiday” and “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”.

“My favorite piece is ‘Frosty the Snowman’ because it has an upbeat tempo and includes a lot of saxaphone solos,” Harry McComb, ’12, said. “Hopefully, there will be a lot of people that are not just from our school, and I hope to make people feel good by playing music.”

A chorus of carols practiced for months will greet guests with traditional and modern melodies. The high school concert choir and ensemble will perform favorites like ?Fruitcake?, which will accompany new songs such as the medley of carols compiled in ?The Twelve Days of Christmas?.

“It’s the only opportunity we have to highlight the work we have done in the second half of the semester,” Aaron Bryan, choir director, said. “We can celebtrate Christ’s birth openly with the entire FCS family.”

Tatiana Fontes, ’10, joined the concert choir because of the comaraderie.

“I had friends already in the class and choir gives me extra time to spend with them,” Fontes said. “My favorite song is ‘Betelehemu’, a Nigerian Christmas story, because of the percussion. The group Beyond the Beat is also performing with us.”

As an annual attender to the Christimas concert, Jon Endicott, associate principal, appreciates the outcomes inspired from the yearly tradition.

“In addition to the high caliber performances, it is wonderful to gather together as an FCS community and celebrate the true meaning of Christmas,” Endicott said. “Every year I’m impressed how much I receive after attending the concert.”

Tyler Combs, ’10, has been in choir since third grade and cannot see himself in any other extracurricular activity.

“It [choir] has become a part of me and is a good way to express myself and a way to relieve stress,” Combs said. “‘Gloria’ is my favorite song because I love Latin pieces.”

Riverpark Bible Church is located at the corner of Milbrook and Alluvial. Doors open at 6:30 P.M.