Jack Johnson exaggerates soft rock

As rock star wannabes continue to pop up on the music radar, a handful of old favorites remain as well. Though some fall to the influence of amateurs, others attempt to stay true to form and become artists without leaders.

Jack Johnson?s new album successfully proved to be different from the typical music fare. Johnson?s music is typically easy listening rock featuring a bluesy electric guitar, bass, drums and an occasional acoustic guitar.

Sleep Through the Static, Johnson?s new album, is slightly different from his previous releases. Slow songs dominate this highly-anticipated album, and even hardcore Johnson fans might be surprised at such a sound. For example, the the new ‘fast’ tracks are almost comparable to the slow-tempo songs on his previous albums.

?Hope?, one of the few upbeat songs on Sleep Through the Static, is still played with soft rock restraints. The track features a few guitar riffs and catchy drums paired with relaxed vocals. The message encourages people to turn to those around them for help in hard times. Johnson sings, ?But you don?t/ always/ have to hold your head higher/ than your heart/ you better hope you?re not alone.?

The song ?Sleep Through The Static? portrays a typical anti-war message, which is presented in many other popular songs of today, such as John Mayer?s “Waiting on the World to Change”.

The lyrics declare, “Who needs please when we?ve got guns? / who needs keys when we?ve got clubs? / who needs peace when we?ve gone above/ but beyond where we should have gone.?

Political opinions aside, the song remains memorable despite a slow-paced tempo, featuring the same bluesy guitar commonly seen in other Johnson albums. The new addition of keyboards to his music compliments this song well and adds a good rhythm.

While mellow music may be considered ‘easy listening’, a few more upbeat songs would help balance Johnson’s music. Though a relaxed styled is expected from the artist, the album itself was sorely lacking in energy.

Despite the often-monotonous ideas behind Sleep Through the Static, the rest of Johnson’s new album is superb. The addition of the keyboards fit in with the rest of the band and bring a new flavor to old music.

Sleep Through the Static is an excellent soft rock album suitable for enjoyment anytime. The hushed yet addictive style makes a suitable substitute for the headache-inducing rock music commonly heard among teenage crowds.

Jack Johnson’s third release is available at any local music retail center. For buying information, visit Borders.