Rare beginning propels college dreams

Update, Feb. 12: Junior captain Vincent Cabias was selected to the First Team All-League in boys’ soccer this season.

Opportunities flourish when people allow themselves to step out of the norm and onto unknown territory.

After deciding to play soccer on a whim his freshman year, current co-captain and starting goalie Vincent Cabias, ’09, gained an unexpected appreciation towards soccer.

“I cannot begin to describe my love for soccer now,” Cabias said. “I love the aggressiveness and the competition it brings. Never have I been on a team that comes together like soccer.”

Most seasons, head coach Matt Markarian gives several players a chance to win the keeper position. Despite having a senior goalie, Cabias volunteered to be the back up in the 2005-06 season.

“Even though I volunteered to play goalie my freshman year, I didn’t enjoy it,” Cabias said. “I just wanted to play. Originally, I regretted the decision, but now I realize it was the best thing for me.”

Contrary to Vince’s story, Markarian remembers putting him in goal after seeing his field play.

“Vince’s freshman year, he could not do anything,” Markarian said. “It was when I decided to put him in goal, he became really big for us.”

In his 14th year coaching FC soccer, Markarian has rarely seen dedication like that of his keeper.

“Vince is one of the hardest working players on the team,” Markarian said. “He is always willing to stay after practice and do extra work.”

Perseverance and determination fueled Cabias’ transformation to the player he is currently.

“It is hard to recognize my soccer skills from two years ago,” Cabias said. “It’s really like night and day. I have improve so much since I started and exceeded the goals I set for myself.”

Senior marking back Sean O’Neal gives Cabias credit for his vocal leadership.

“Vince is the heart of our team,” O’Neal said. “We can always be sure that he will keep us in a position to be competitive.”

While he plays goalie for the campus team, Cabias saw field time during his fall stint on a travel team.

“Last year, I played for the California Odyssey club team,” Cabias said. “We need more players to play in the field, so I have really grown in my ball handling skills.”

Out of his three seasons on the campus team and one year on the Odyssey, Cabias views the Frazier Mountain victory this season as his favorite moment.

“It was the first time I have ever been involved in penalty kicks,” Cabias said. “PK shootouts can be so nerve racking for a goalie, but I performed well. We got the win that sent us to the finals at Garces.”

In the first round of playoffs against Strathmore, Vince’s hard work kept the Eagles in the game.

“Vince made so many key saves last year at Strathmore,” Markarian said. “He single-handedly won the game for us.”

From his unlikely begins, Cabias has shifted his enjoyment of soccer to the college level.

“I have set my eyes on college ball,” Cabias said. “This summer, I’ll be closer to seeing where I can go.”

In his first year on the team, junior Brian Weskamp appreciates Cabias’ willingness to answer soccer related questions.

“Vince is the reason I decided to play this year,” Weskamp said. “He tried all last season to get me to play and now I am. Even though I have not played soccer the last few seasons, Vince helped me with anything I need regarding soccer.”

For more information on boys’ soccer, visit Boys’ soccer sport shorts, 07-08 and Athlete adds soccer to resume.