Boys’ tennis sport shorts, 2008

BOYS’ TENNIS SPORTS SHORTS 2008–
(Latest boys’ tennis shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Tournament games do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ tennis features)

For the 07-08 schedule or standings and stats, click on Maxpreps.com. FC finished 4-5-0 overall and 1-4 in the Northwest Sierra League as of May 7.

BOYS’ TENNIS 2008

LIBERTY DEFEATS EAGLES TO END SEASON–April 22
While the Eagles lost to the Liberty Hawks, 1-8, FC battled through each match but lost in tiebreakers, April 24.

“During the six singles matches at one point we were ahead on 4 of the matches,” head coach Rob Foshee said. “We ended losing 3 of those 4, including losing two in tie-breakers.”

The only match was won by No. 4 Michael Raymer, ’09 who has not lost a league match this year.

“Michael is really strategic and measures up his opponents’ strengths and weakness and reads the players,” Foshee said. “In the beginning, the score might be close but he pulls out ahead at the end.”

While the end score seems lop-sided, the matches were closer than indicated.

“I like how every match was close and that the boys fought hard until the end,” Foshee said. “We are still a young program but we are coming along.”

The boys will next host the Fowler Redcats, April 29.

EAGLES BOUNCE BACK WITH WIN–April 22
Though No. 1, senior Matthew Nickel, and No. 3 senior Ben Dang lost their singles matches, FC played solid at the bottom of the ladder to win the match.

Juniors No. 4 Michael Raymer and No. 5 Taylor Brouwer claimed the decisive point for the Eagles by winning their doubles match.

SHORT-HANDED TEAM FALLS TO CARUTHERS–April 17
The No. 2 and No. 3 players were unable to attend the Eagles’ league match against the Caruthers Blue Raiders, April 17. As a result of the missing players, each athlete played two spots higher on the ladder in FC’s 8-1 loss.

The Eagles’ lone victory came from junior doubles partners Michael Raymer and Taylor Brouwer.

The boys will next travel to play Dos Palos, April 22.

FOWLER DOWNS EAGLES 6-3–April 15
Check back later for a detailed account of the game.

EAGLES, RIVERDALE MATCH POSTPONED–April 10
Due to the weekend choir trip, the Eagles match against Riverdale has been postponed until further notice.

EAGLES DEFEATED BY HAWKS–April 8
Although several matches proved to be close, the Eagles lost to the Liberty Hawks 6-3, April 8.

“Throughout the game there was extreme wind,” Robert Foshee, head coach, said. “The ball was flying out on one side and going nowhere on the other.”

Despite most singles losses, junior Taylor Brouwer recorded his first shutout win (8-0).

“I was proud of Brouwer’s singles match because all components of his game came together,” coach Foshee said. “He was especially good at the net in putting points away.”

Senior doubles partners, Matt Nickel and William Cowin, came back from behind to win 8-4.

Benjamin Dang, while sending each game to deuce, lost his match, 8-7. However, Foshee praised his senior.

“Ben had a really close match,” Foshee said. “He was one point away from winning but lost the point and had to go to a tiebreaker. He lost the tie-breaker 5-7. I was really proud of how Ben competed and kept his poise even though he didn’t win.”

Despite the loss, the team was upbeat and Foshee was quick to point out the positive.

“We learned to keep competing through every point because at the beginning of the match it seemed out of reach, but we were within a few points later of winning,” Foshee said. “Also we learned how to make adjustments in bad weather.”

BOYS WIN CROSS-LEAGUE MATCH–March 27
After taking a hiatus over spring break, the boys’ tennis team defeated the Firebaugh Eagles 7-2, March 27.

Head coach Robert Foshee was absent from the game due to breaking his leg over the break. Assistant coach Eric Witters took over as head coach for the match.

“I really think that because I got to be an assistant coach before Foshee got hurt, it gave me experience along with playing tennis at Fresno Christian for four years,” Witters said. “The boys have done a great job and helped us have a team this year, and I am looking foward to the rest of the year.”

SENIOR STEPS UP FOR ABSENT PLAYER–March 13
Despite No. 1 Matthew Nickel, ’08, gone due to an illness, fellow senior Bill Cowin filled the hole as the Eagles defeated the Tranquillity Tigers 6-3, March 13.

“I expected it would be more of a challenge without Matt but I was ready for it,” Cowin said. “It was fun playing as No. 1 because it was more difficult.”

With Nickel absent, all the players moved up the ladder. Tyler Graham, ’09, played in his first singles match of the season.

“Playing singles require a lot more work by yourself and you can’t blame someone else if you make a mistake,” Graham said. “I enjoy playing singles more than doubles because I am by myself and winning in singles is more satisfying.”

The team was forced to forfeit their third doubles match. The two remaining pairs, juniors Taylor Brouwer and Micheal Raymer, and Cowin and Graham, split the final two matches for the Eagles.

However, FC won five of their six singles matches, sealing their 6-3 win over the Tigers.

BOYS’ DOMINATE FIRST LEAGUE MATCH–March 11
The Eagles’ bounced back from the exhibition match last week to smash the Riverdale Cowboys 7-2 in their first league match, March 11.

Despite struggling with a right-ankle injury, No. 1 Matthew Nickel, ’08, survived his match with an 8-7 win.

“Matt fought hard through his injury and battled from behind to win in the tiebreaker,” head coach Rob Foshee said.

FC also received wins from senior No. 2 Bill Cowin, junior No. 4 Michael Raymer and freshman No. 5 Will Gonzales.

In doubles play, the Eagles swept the Cowboys with scores of 8-4, 8-3 and 8-4.

“Brouwer and Raymer played doubles together for the first time and had good chemistry, winning their match 8-3,” Foshee said. “Graham and Methgen also won their match 8-4 giving us the clinching 5th point.”

SIERRA SHOCKS EAGLES IN PRE-SEASON–March 6
While the boys’ tennis program failed to draw sufficient interest last season, the team returned to the court this year. In their exhibition match, the Eagles fell to Sierra, 8-1, March 6.

The lone victory for FC came with No. 6 Taylor Brouwer’s, ’09, tie-breaker win, 8-7.

“I felt pretty proud about my win,” Brouwer said. “We were very evenly matched so it was a really good game.”

Even though the team took a year-hiatus, they remain confident of continued success.

“As a team, we really needed experience before league,” No. 4 Michael Raymer, ’09, said. “Sierra definitely provided it for us. They will probably be the toughest team we play throughout this season.”