Softball sport shorts, 2008

SOFTBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2007-08–
(Latest softball shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Tournament games do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for softball features)

For the 2008 schedule or standings and stats, click on Maxpreps.com. At the conclusion of the season, FC held a 6-11-0 overall record and 0-8 in the Northwest Sierra League as of May 8.

SOFTBALL 2008

[Season end]

SEASON ENDS DUE TO FORFEIT–May 8
Despite hopes of ending their season on a positive note, the Tranquillity Tigers forfeited the game against the Eagles, May 8.

The Tigers only pitcher suffered an arm injury, preventing her from making an appearance and forcing them to forfeit the game.

EAGLES FORFEIT–May 6
Due to lack of players, Eagles were forced to forfeit to the Riverdale Cowgirls, May 6.

EAGLES OFFENSE CHALLENGES RAIDERS IN LOSS–May 1
For the first time in five games, FC played a complete game of 7 innings in their 8-0 loss to the Caruthers Blue Raiders, May 1.

A strong start kept the Eagles in the game for opening 3 innings. However, 8 errors coupled with 8 hits scored 8 runs for the Raiders over the remainder of the game.

“The girls did good yesterday,” coach Michelle Wright said. “We made it to the end of the game and kept the score low. Amanda (Wood, ’08) did great with 8 strikeouts, and the defense stayed in the game.”

Assistant coach Christina Cabias commended the girls’ play, acknowledging the team’s improvements.

“We made a lot of contact with the ball,” Cabias said. “If we keep hitting consistently, we will eventually find a hole.”

Leading the Eagle’s offense, freshman Ashlyn White hit 2 singles in 3 at-bats. FC accumulated a total of six hits, making consistent contact with the ball throughout the game, but was unable to score, and stranded 5.

NEW POSITIONS CAUSE UNFORTUNATE LOSS AGAINST FOWLER–April 29
With starting ace Amanda Wood injured from practice the day prior, FC was forced to rearrange their lineup in a 16-0 loss to the Fowler Redcats, April 29.

Freshman Cassidy Hutchins made her first start as pitcher of the season, while seniors Rachel Balint shifted to shortstop and Melanie Nachtigall to second base.

“Pitching is a lot harder than I expected,” Hutchins said. “I definitely have a higher respect for Amanda now. It takes endurance and staying strong under an incredible amount of pressure.”

Head coach Michelle Wright commends field changes and team encouragement.

“Rachel and Cassidy stepped up today in their new positions,” Wright said. “They did well playing positions they’ve never really played before. It was also good to see everyone encouraging each other; I haven’t seen that this season yet and it was a joy to be a part of.”

The Eagles’ offense failed to capitalize on their three hits from: Jennifer Rose, ’08, Brittney Broome, ’10, and Hutchins. FC stranded 5 runners on base and drew one walk.

3 INNINGS PROVE FATAL IN LOSS AGAINST LIBERTY–April 24
The Eagles hoped to start off the second half of league play on a positive note, but the visiting Hawks had other ideas in 16-0 win, April 24.

Despite pitcher Amanda Wood’s, 08, efforts to silence Liberty’s batters from the start, the Hawks jumped out to an early lead, scoring 10 runs in the first inning.

FC’s offense struggled in the three innings of play, but center fielder Jennifer Rose got the lone FC hit in her only at-bat of the game.

EAGLES PLAY WITH EIGHT IN LOSS–April 17
While team members Jennifer and Michelle Rose left for Anaheim for a journalism convention, FC was forced to battle with 8 players. Gaps in between the two outfielders aided the Caruthers Blue Raiders’ 10-0 victory, April 17.

Caruthers jumped on the chance to score in the first inning, scoring their leadoff and second batters in the opening inning.

Multiple extra-base hits by Caruthers resulted in 5 errors for the Eagles and 10 runs.

In the 5th inning, junior Katie White reached base after being hit-by-a-pitch. Third baseman Brittany Broome, ’10, drove the first pitch she saw up the middle, moving White into scoring position. Unfortunately, the Eagles were unable to capitalize on the opportunity.

The game ended after the 6th inning because of the mercy rule with Caruthers ahead 10-0.

As a team, FC got a single, drew one walk and one hit-by-pitch.

Starting pitcher Amanda Wood struck out seven batters throughout the game.

LEAGUE RECORD FALLS TO 0-3 FOR EAGLES IN LOSS–April 15
Eagles inability to get on base, handed Fowler Redcats 12-0 victory, April 15.

Allyson Galvan, Fowler’s pitcher, pitched a perfect game with 9 strikeouts in 5 innings of play.

FC held the game 0-0 until the 3rd inning, when the Redcat offense scored 6 runs.

Despite the fact that Eagles were unable to hit, seniors Brittany Lauber, Melanie Nachtigall, and Amanda Wood put the ball in play, but failed to reach base before the first baseman received the ball.

In the bottom of the 4th, after scoring 6 more runs bases were loaded with one out, Redcats graciously lead off early resulting in the 2nd and 3rd out.

FC’s last at bat failed to produce any base runners, ending the game as a result of the mercy rule.

DEFENSIVE MELTDOWN HANDS COWGIRLS WIN–April 10
The Eagles inability to get on base and ineffective defense handed the Riverdale Cowgirls a 11-0 win, April 10.

While the Eagles held the Cowgirls to 3 runs through 5 innings, Riverdale scored 8 more runs in the 6th.

“Physical errors are going to happen,” Christina Cabias, assistant coach, said. “Nobody’s perfect, but we cannot afford to have mental errors.”

Throughout the game, FC had only one hit with 10 strikeouts.

“There was a play in the 6th inning where Rachel Balint, (’08), bobbled the ball,” Michelle Wright, head coach, said, “but she stuck with it and still made the out at first base. If the team can “stick with it” even though we’ve had difficulty in the past, then we can still be competitive this season.”

STRONG START NOT ENOUGH TO DEFEAT HAWKS–April 8
Though tied throughout the majority of the game, 6th inning errors handed Liberty Madera-Ranchos their first league win, 7-1, over the Eagles, April 8.

In the first 4 innings FC held the Hawks to one run. Offensive leader Jennifer Rose, who hit 2 singles in 4 at bats, scored the lone run in the top of the 5th.

“Our hitting was better today,” coach Michelle Wright said. “But we still need to work on pitch selection and smart base-running.”

Despite a neck-in-neck battle, Eagles failed to secure the 3rd out in 5th. After scoring 3 runs, a single coupled with 2 errors, scored 2 Madera runners.

“Errors cost us the game,” Wright said. “We need to take the time to make a good throw or make the catch to get out of a difficult inning.”

FC BEATS MISSION PREP FOR FIRST TIME IN 8 YEARS–April 5
The softball team broke FC’s eight-year winless streak with a 9-2 victory against the Mission Prep Royals, April 5.

While a late night elicited a slow, tired start from the Eagles, Mission Prep jumped out to a one-run lead in the first inning.

However, FC rallied in the 3rd inning, capitalizing on 6 errors to score 7 runs to overtake the Royals, 7-1. The Eagles’ offense, led by senior Michelle Rose with a single and a double, rounded up a total of 7 hits in 7 innings.

“We really took advantage of their errors,” head coach Michelle Wright said. “Aggressive base-running and a decrease in fielding errors won us the game.”

Senior pitcher Amanda Wood struck out 9 Royals and allowed just 3 hits.

“We came out tired, but woke up in the third inning,” Wood said. “Our defense was strong and lowered the amount of errors from our previous game.”

Wright applauds the performance of her team, but always believes there is room to improve.

“No one is perfect,” Wright said. “But if we can lower our fielding errors and build off the other teams’ errors, we will go far in the season.”

AZTECS DOMINATE EAGLES–April 3
While the visiting Eagles looked strong as the game opened, FC could not keep up with the Mendota Aztecs in a 14-5 loss, April 3.

The Aztecs opened the scoring with three runs in the bottom of the first inning; however, the Eagles were able to tie up the score with four runs in the second.

For the following two innings, FC held their ground and kept the score tied at 4-4.

Despite the close-knit battle, the Aztecs capitalized on Eagles errors; scoring six runs in the fourth inning.

Amidst 12 FC errors, pitcher Amanda Wood, ’08, struck out nine Aztecs and allowed eight hits.

Senior Brittany Lauber scored two runs while three other Eagles added one run each. Freshman Cassidy Hutchins had two RBIs and got hit by a pitch.

Unfortunately these runs were not enough to overcome the Aztecs, in Mendota’s 14-5 win.

AVENAL NO MATCH FOR EAGLES OFFENSE–April 1
Consistent offense and timely defense propelled the visiting Eagles to a 6-0 victory over the host, Avenal Buccaneers, April 1.

While the Eagles were able to get an one-run lead in the first inning, the Buccaneers managed to slow FC for the next two innings.

Lead by Amanda Wood’s, ’08, four hits in four at-bats and Cassidy Hutchins’, ’11, three singles and a double, FC took control of the game and the eventually victory.

FC scored two runs in the fourth inning, one in the fifth and two more in the sixth.

“The pitcher was pretty slow so it was easy to get a hit off her,” third baseman Brittney Broome, ’10, said. “Everybody did a good job waiting for their pitch. Our hitting hasn’t been the best, so this time it was nice to dominate in offense.”

Despite the thrilling offense, second baseman Rachel Balint’s, ’08, defense supported the 6-0 shutout. Balint made all three outs in the final inning with a pop out, ground out and line out.

“I wasn’t ready to get three balls in a row,” Balint said. “I’m just glad I didn’t miss any of them. It felt like it didn’t even happen because the last inning went by so fast.”

Broome hit two singles and a triple, while first baseman Ashlyn White, ’11, added a stand-up double along with two singles.

EAGLES SUFFER LOST AT THE BATS OF MCLANE–March 28
While the Eagles hoped to conclude their back-to-back-to-back day games with a win over McLane, the Highlanders defeated FC 5-7, March 28.

In her first game as the lead-off batter, freshman Cassidy Hutchins was welcomed by a pitch to the knee, becoming the first base runner of the game. However, Hutchins’ stay on the bases was short-lived when she later scored the first run of the game.

FC’s offense punished the Highlanders the following inning, scoring four more runs.

McLane consistently added runs, seven total, and were able to surmount FC’s score late in the game. The Highlanders handed the Eagles their second loss of the season, 7-5, and the second of the week.

OFFENSE BOUNCES BACK AGAINST LATON AFTER OFF-DAY–March 27
The difficult outing a day prior quickly became yesterday’s news as FC crushed Laton 14-2, March 27.

Senior Amanda Wood led the Eagles both offensively and defensively with three hits in four at-bats and 10 strikeouts.

“Amanda is one of our team leaders and a strong competitor,” head coach Michelle Wright said. “She knows her personal limits and will tell me if she is in too much pain to play.”

FC’s most productive inning came in the fourth when 12 batters faced two different Laton pitchers.

“The team came out aggressive against Laton,” Michelle said. “We played our game, if we can continue to grow as a team as this season progresses, we will be in good shape.”

A misplayed ball allowed left fielder Michelle Rose, ’08, to record her first career in- the-park home run.

“I never thought I would actually have a home run.” Michelle said. “I thought Laton would make it an easy out, but as the ball went by them I just kept running.”

Center fielder Jennifer Rose, ’08, also boosted FC’s offense with two singles in four at-bats. Jennifer also attempted to grasp the “slapping” technique.

“Slapping is a difficult technique to master and I am still learning.” Jennifer said. “I tried slapping against Firebaugh and did alright. I slapped against Laton to get more practice in before league. It was a good hit, a line drive to the second baseman, but she caught it.”

Due to Laton’s inability to hit Wood’s pitching, the Eagles cruised to a 14-2 victory.

FC SUFFERS FIRST LOSS AT THE HANDS OF FIREBAUGH–March 26
Low offensive output and errors on defense allowed the visiting Firebaugh Eagles to hand FC their first loss (4-1), March 26.

While starting pitcher Amanda Wood, ’08, kept Firebaugh silent early in the game, an error and a single allowed the visitors to get an early lead.

Normally the designated hitter, senior Melanie Nachtigall started at second base.

?It was my first time ever playing infield,” Nachtigall said. “It was a lot different then outfield. The ball moves a lot quicker since you are closer. It resulted in my first infield injury, a jammed thumb.”

FC never strung multiple hits together, as Wood and freshman Ashlyn White reached base on a single and bunt.

Wood struck out seven batters, allowed two hits, and four runs through seven innings of play.

Despite playing years of softball, senior Michelle Rose experienced her first hit-by-pitch.

?When she threw the ball I knew I was going to get hit,” Rose said. “It was a sure way to get on base on a positive note. When I got up to bat the next time I was almost hit again when batting. I turned away and it hit the bottom of the bat.”

The lone Eagles run came after Wood reached base with a seeing-eye single between shortstop and third base. After a dropped third strike, Firebaugh’s catcher attempted to throw-out Rose at first, while Wood rounded third and crossed home plate with ease.

“But as it wasn?t enough to be hit once in a game,” Rose said, “while running to first base the ball was thrown to hit my arm. It was not a good day.”

STRATHMORE POSES NO THREAT TO EAGLES–March 13
The explosive Eagle offense jumped on the Strathmore Spartans from the start of the game in their 8-0 victory, March 13.

FC never allowed Strathmore to find their zone as senior pitcher Amanda Wood sat the Spartans down in order in the first inning. Wood served up 13 strikeouts and allowed no hits in seven innings.

The most productive inning for the Eagles came in the fifth inning when eight batters appeared at the plate and five runners reached base safely; resulting in their fifth and sixth runs of the game.

Eagles pounded the Spartans for 13 hits. Catcher Brittany Lauber, ’08, led FC with three singles and a walk while senior left fielder Michelle Rose also hit three singles.

“We played well as a team,” Lauber said. “We hit consistently and took advantage of the other teams errors.”

While the Eagles won the game, aggressive batting approaches cost the home team as they struckout eight times.

“If we keep the amount of errors low, we will be able to stay competitive,” coach Michelle Wright said. “We need to work on pitch selection as a batter, and restraint for high or low pitches.”

UNIVERSITY HIGH NO MATCH FOR EAGLES IN ROUT–March 11
Eagles defeated University High 11-3 in opening game March 11. With only one bench player, FC took advantage of the University High Phoenixes, overcoming the two runs allowed in the first half inning.

FC punished University’s pitching in their first at-bats, scoring three runs for an early lead. With the exception of the second inning, the Eagles’ offense consistently added to their score with each at-bat.

Seniors Jennifer Rose and Amanda Wood led the Eagles’ offense with 4 hits in 8 at-bats, a double and four RBI’s combined.

Every player reached base safely with the exception of Michelle Rose who had a designated hitter.

Wood pitched a complete game with 11 strikeouts and only allowed one hit.

“I think we did very well for our first game,” Wood said. “It was exciting to watch my teammates do well and also have fun, but we need to be more heads up on plays and base-running.”

New head coach Michelle Wright commended the team’s play, but still seeks further improvement.

“I was pleasantly surprised with how well we did,” Wright said. “It was good that we came together when we needed to. Now we need to work on improving the infield and knowing what to do before a play.”

The 11-3 victory came the day after losing Brittany Shaffer, ’09, to a broken fibula inflicted during practice.

?It was really difficult being on the sidelines watching everyone play because I?ve been looking forward to this game for awhile,” Shaffer said, “but the girls did really well and I?m glad I got to watch them.?

Wright admits that she held high expectations for the team’s starting third baseman

?Brittany was just starting to develop some awareness at 3rd base and its hard knowing that she?s not going to be on the field with us,” Wright said, “however, she is still a member of this team, her role has just changed.?