Golf team develops time management

The golfer tees up his Nike golf ball and clears his mind of all distractions. In the blink of an eye the graceful back-swing punishes the ball as it whooshes through the air towards the pin.

While cheering fans are appreciated in some sports, silence and a courteous golf clap are desired by golfers.

“When a player addresses the ball, it is very easy to get distracted,” Justin Bridges, ’08, said. “Even though it is nice to hear people screaming for you, I like silence during golf matches.”

When not playing sports, Bridges spends time with friends outside of daily practices and school.

“Sometimes we will go to the movies,” Bridges said. “But we also play golf and video games and eat.”

With an innate desire to win, Bridges experience in varsity tennis and consistent play personifies his competitive nature.

“He is a proven winner in tennis,” head golf coach Jeff Hopper said, “and he wants to win here just as badly. He can keep his scores in the low to mid-40s, which makes us more competitive.”

Amidst the stresses of golf, Bridges’ teammates appreciate his laid back approach to the game.

“When I’m having a bad day playing, he makes me smile by cracking a few jokes,” Brock Lopes, ’10, said. “He is just fun to pal around with.”

Through determination and perseverance, Hopper believes Bridges’ game will excel with daily repetition.

“Justin will really help the team succeed by continuing to develop a consistent swing that produces lower scores,” Hopper said. “But that’s true for all the players.”

Despite being in its second season, Hopper believes the second-year squad will establish itself as a solid team.

“I hope that each player improves and becomes an increasingly consistent player,” Hopper said. “We also have a good chance of challenging for the league title.”

The experience gained through sports has developed life skills that translate into everyday occurrences.

“My participation in sports has allowed me to organize my time more wisely,” Bridges said. “Having to spend a couple of hours practicing, but also getting time in for homework has been easier with my experience.”

While the cost may push away some players, it is a necessary part of the team due to various expenses such as range balls, green fees and travel.

“Every week, we need range balls, and a place to play practice rounds,” Hopper said. “The fee pays for these things as well as team shirts and balls for matches.”

Bridges hopes his sacrifice now will pay dividends towards college career.

“I hope to play some sport in college whether it be tennis or golf,” Bridges said. “Right now, I’m interested in Monterey Bay college, Concordia, Vanguard or Cuesta.”

The team’s home course for practice is Riverside Golf Course in west Fresno. Besides Riverside, the team also hosts matches at Fig Garden Golf Club.

The team will next compete against Clovis Christian at Riverside, April 1, 3:00 P.M.

For more information on golf, visit Golf sport shorts, 2008 or contact coach Hopper at (559) 217-5165.