Athlete endorses underclassmen friendships

“Alas, they can not keep me silent forever.” These words rang through my mind when I received word that I needed to write a senior column. However, “what should I say?” quickly followed my joy.

As the sports editor, most of my past writings involved scores, play-by-plays and picture captions, so I will try to keep the sports references to a minimum.

Before my envied senior year began, I always looked up to one or two seniors who I felt exemplified my own vision for the final year in high school. While they seemed to personify unique qualities that I found attractive, they all held one thing in common, good relations with underclassman.

Throughout the current school year, I felt that this held significant relevance that would make or break the overall success of the year.

As I look back, I still hold the same belief.

From being teammates with “Tall Freshman” and “Maldini” on the varsity soccer team, I learned to appreciate the hard work underclassman put forth to make an impact at the varsity level. Both exceeded not only my expectations, but I am sure their own as well.

Another vital part of these relationships is the fact they must exist beyond the court, field or arena to have any lasting impact.

I must admit however that this has been the greatest struggle, because we no longer spend over three hours a day together. While I thoroughly enjoy almost every minute of America’s greatest pastime, I cannot begin to express my gratitude towards my soccer teammates. They are the hardest working team, I feel, on campus that I have been a part of by far.

Now, as many athletes at school do, the soccer team has disassembled into the various spring sports and the few times we see each other are brief stints in the crowded hallways.

As a senior on my way out the door, I realize that my friendships with these dedicated young people may slowly shrivel up like a football player’s lungs during conditioning in 110 degree heat.

I tenaciously hold to the belief these relationships will not whither in the coming months, on the other hand they will foster into lifelong friendships.