Triple threat campus king

A lot can be said for the triple-threats of high school sports, and senior Coleton Hutchins ranks as one of the best, and is loving every minute of it.

From his nomination as Homecoming King to the praise of being named Male Senior Athlete of the Year with offers from Ivy league colleges, senior Coleton Hutchins has been hustling to succeed since the day he was born.

While success follows Hutchins on the soccer field as a center midfielder, and in the classroom as a 4.2 cumulative GPA. Seal bearer, not to mention an acceptance from U.C. Berkeley included, no happiness has come to rival his desire to play baseball.

?The sport of baseball is a very challenging sport because it?s an extremely mental game with no margin of error,? Hutchins said. ?As players, we are asked to do the toughest thing to repeat in any sport; make solid contact with a moving ball.?

Though Hutchins? parents played an integral part of his participation in baseball, he found that no one person in particular inspired his passion for baseball, as his memory fails to precede his passion to play.

?No one really inspired me to play because I started playing before I can remember,” Hutchins said, “but my parents are really involved in my love for baseball.?

With his entire life focused around one of America?s favorite pastimes, Hutchins skill grew exponentially, as did the potency of his opponents whose competitiveness kept Hutchins on his feet.

?As far as the skills of our opponents goes, it varies greatly, and that?s why every season I try to improve upon my past successes,? Hutchins said. ?During my freshman year, I was given the opportunity to start in left field on varsity, and when up to bat, led the game off with a line drive to centerfield. Even though it didn?t fall for a hit, it was a great memory.?

When he?s not perfecting his swing or fielding grounders for practice, Hutchins devotes a portion of his time to working out on a daily basis with his workout partner as well as finding time to write articles and practice Spanish.

?I?m currently involved in the Spanish Club, journalism and lots of school things, but I also love exercising and playing all kinds of sports,? Hutchins said. ?My usual gym partner is (senior David) Fuji(hara). The both of us are able to push each other to improve and are both self-motivated when it comes to working out.?

With the conclusion of his senior year near completion, Hutchins? decision to attend University of California Irvine came after much debate, though he remains convinced after a visit to the college reinforced his certainty.

?I recently decided to attend U.C. Irvine since it?s a very prestigious college with a great campus,? Hutchins said. ?In April, I went to one of their ?Open Campus? days and everything fell into place as all of my questions were answered. It felt like I was supposed to go there.?

Despite an era of new beginnings, Hutchins intends to carry on his baseball legacy well into his college days, as his high school career ends and the potential for college ball begins.

?Since the future of my baseball is still in the air, as of now I plan on playing in the upcoming years, whether it be for the ?Anteaters?, a club team, or simply intramurals,? Hutchins said. ?I know sports will still be present in my college life.?

Now on the road to his future alma mater, Hutchins considers his many options for a career path and lends a few of his personal interests to consideration as well as orthodontia, a calling closely related to his father?s choosing.

?I will first pursue an accounting and depending on my enjoyment of that, I might go on to be an orthodontist,? Hutchins said. ?The basis for my decision comes from my own enjoyment of math and the fact that my dad is an Anesthesiologist, so it?s pretty much based on family experience.?

Just as high school transforms boys to young men, so does the journey between college and the real world change perspectives, a transformation that Hutchins readily accepts as he embarks on the next chapter of his life.

?In twenty years I hope to have my own business or at least be my own boss and potentially have the foundations of a family,? Hutchins said. ?I also hope to be part of an athletic and academic college, where both grades and athletics fill a lot of my life.?