Cross country sport shorts, 2008

CROSS COUNTRY SPORT SHORTS, 2008–
(Latest cross country sports shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Check out the season schedule at highschoolsports.net. The Eagles concluded the season with the state meet.

CROSS COUNTRY, 2008
EAGLES MAKE APPEARANCE AT STATE
After peaking for the Valley Championships, two weeks ago, the Eagles went into the State Championships with the objective of savoring the team’s first appearance at the race in school history.

By running in the 8th annual 3.1 mile Turkey Trot, FC prepared for the State meet.

Of the three father-daughter teams, the Wilhelm had the best combined time in 56:08. Meanwhile Doug Daniel, ’10, running by himself, scored a top-50 finish. Head coach Ericlee Gilmore trailed his runners, walking the race with his daughter, wife, and mother-in-law.

“It took everything for us to qualify two weeks ago,” Gilmore said. “So in saying that, we already peaked to run our best. Next year, I will peak Doug for the State Championships.”

Daniel ran an 18:17 to finish in 91st place out of 179 runners. After going out in 5:18 for the first mile, he barely missed his goal of under 6 minutes for the difficult uphill 2nd mile. Then Daniel closed with a 6:47 3rd mile coming home.

“Doug was focused and ready,” Gilmore said. “If he had run the last mile in 6:20, he’d have made his best time. Next year he will run a munute faster and be in the top fifty. I am so proud of my girls and Doug too. This was a truly special season.”

Though he fell short of a personal record, Daniel remained positive about his effort.

Throughout the season, the Eagle’s top runner bettered his personal record, lowered his average time, and earned more medals than last year.

“I wanted to run a respectable time and give it my best effort,” Daniel said. “I thought I ran a decent race. I’m happy with the outcome of the season and how our team performed.”

The girls team’s top time was recored by Janae Ford, ’09, in 24:15. Kailee Maxey, ’09, followed with in 26:43, Rachel Wilhelm, ’11, ran a 28:01, and Tatiana Fontes, ’10, recored a 28:10.

“I thought it was great that our team qualified, it was a God thing,” Ford said. “No one besides me had been on the team before. We represented Fresno Christian and Christ well and it was an amazing experience!”

Gilmore echoed Ford’s enthusiasm after the race pointing to the team’s good sportsmanship.

“The girls ran hard and never gave up,” Gilmore said. “They made friends with many teams and before the race they even shook hands with all of the other competitors in the division five race.”

After finishing 2nd on the team behind Ford, Maxey reflected on the end of the season and her team captain.

“I enjoyed the season immensely,” Maxey said. “It was definitely hard work, but worthwhile. Janae did very well as the girl’s captain. She not only encouraged us before each race when we were anxious and dreading it, but she also led us spiritually and mentally.”

MASTERS MEET PRELUDES STATE–Nov. 29
For some reason, Doug Daniel, ’10, found he did not have the leg power to run as well as he wanted to at the Masters Meet, (and in his last couple meets as well) Nov. 20.

Though his 18:54 saw him finish 88th out of 130, Daniel holds higher aspirations for the Nov. 29 State Championship.

“After being discouraged about his last few races, we found that he (Daniel) had been riding his bike forty to fifty miles each Saturday,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “Now that he has been encouraged not to do that, I hope he can run his best time and be in the top thirty three percent at the the State meet.”

Running alongside his brother in the boy’s race was Frank Daniel, ’11, who finished just 16 seconds off his personal record with a 21:06.

Being the only division V team in the competition, the girl’s entered the meet with all odds stacked against them.

Team captain Janae Ford, ’09, sat out due to illness, leaving Kailee Maxey, ’09, to run the team’s best time: a 25:53. Tatiana Fontes, ’10, (27:43), Rachel Wilhelm, ’11, (29:10), and Kayla Haydock, ’10, (29:13) trailed not far behind.

Haydock’s time was good enough for a 7-second personal record-the only such feat achieved by an Eagle runner at the meet.

The Eagles will next compete at the State Championship, Nov. 29.

VALLEY MEET PROVES SUCCESSFUL–Nov. 22
With a season of practice behind them and low expectations, the Eagles arrived at Woodward Park for the Valley Championship meet, Nov. 13.

Though only one runner, Whitney Chessum, ’08, qualified for the state meet last year, the entire girls team qualified for the race this year. By finishing third as a team behind Mission College Prep and Central Valley Christian, the group became the first team in school history to advance to the state meet held at Woodward Park, Nov. 29.

“Five out of our six girls ran personal best on the difficult Woodward park course,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “It is hard to focus on one girl because it was truly a team effort. The last thing I said to them before they raced was, ‘ladies it would be really cool to qualify for state as a team, no pressure.’ They beat University High by nine points to do it.”

Janae Ford, ’09, downplayed her shot at advancing prior to the race, however, just an hour later, she and the rest of the girls were jumping up and down in exuberance at having qualified.

“I felt very excited at the beginning of the race because our whole team was pumped up with Jesus,” Ford said. “When we found out we qualified for state it was an amazing moment and something that we praise God for.”

Ford’s time of 23:47 saw her finish in 12th place and led the girl’s team. Kailee Maxey, ’09, (25:33) and Tatiana Fontes, ’10, (26:33) finished not far behind to secure the Eagles’ finish ahead of University High.

US Olympic team hopeful Jordan Hasay of Mission College Prep ran a 17:20 to win the race by just over 2 minutes.

Though the boy’s team failed to advance, Doug Daniel, ’10, ran an 18:40 to wrap up 5th place and a spot in the state meet. Tyler Graham, “09, followed in 15th place with a 20:29, and Frank Daniel, ’11, finished his season with a 20:52.

“I feel very good right now because I achieved my top goal of making state,” Doug said. “I just wanted to do my best and beat my personal record today. As I continue to train, I am going to miss the rest of my team alot.”

The Eagles will next compete at the Grand Masters at Woodward Park, Nov. 20.

FC DEFENDS BEST TEAM TITLE
For the 2nd straight year, the Eagles earned the title of best overall team at the West Sequoia League championships in Firebaugh, Nov. 6.

Both Eagles teams earned 2nd place finishes behind strong times from team captain Janae Ford, ’09, and Doug Daniel, ’10.

Ford ran her second-best time of the season, a 22:44, to finish in 3rd -her highest placing of the year.

After breaking the 4-minute mark for the first time to open the race, Daniel slowed his pace slightly but still finished in 7th place with a time of 17:33.

“Doug started too fast and will learn from that and do better at Valley,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “He has the ability to run a low sixteen minute time. Now he must be smart and pace it right for next week.”

Tyler Graham, ’09, came up with a personal-record 18:59 to secure a 12th place medal, and Frank Daniel also meddled after a 20:08 put him in 15th place.

Prior to the meet, FC decided to serve the other teams gatorades to “let their light shine,” according to Gilmore.

“We wanted to be a team that served so the team decided to give every team a gatorade with a signed card that had a scripture verse and words of encouragement on it,” Gilmore said. “The team went out in pairs to give the gift to the seven other teams. The response was very positive.”

The Eagles will next compete at the Central Section Championships at Woodward Park on Nov. 13.

KINGSBURG MEET ROUNDS OUT REGULAR SEASON–Oct. 30
In their final “regular season” meet of the year, the John Seaman/Kingsburg Invitational at the Kingsburg Gun Club, three Eagle runners achieved personal records, Oct. 30.

In the JV race Will Gonzales ran a career-best 22:26, improving on his previous best by 23 seconds.

“After a hard week of strength training, we had a great race,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “This race showed me that Will can run varsity for the Valley meet in two weeks. After running blazing fast last week at the coast, he improved his time again, and I am very proud of his progress.”

Chelsea Shuman, ’10, and Rachel Wilhelm, ’11, both raised their personal records in the girls varsity race.

After being sick all last week, Shuman, ran a 27:13 to improve by 29 seconds.

Doug Daniel, ’10, (18:02) and Tyler Graham, ’09, (19:02) once again ran the Eagles top two times, coming in at 82nd and 125th respectively.

The girls team was led by Janae Ford’s (23:52) 83rd place finish, and also received a 101st place finish from Kailee Maxey (24:49).

The strong finish to the season filled Gilmore with hope for the League Championship, Nov. 6.

“I am looking forward to seeing how the team team run at the league championships next wednesday,” Shuman said. “It will be a hard fight and I am hoping for the top three places out of eight. Thank God we have Jesus on our side.”

The Eagles will next compete at the WSL League championships at Woodward Park on Nov. 6.

SAN LUIS OBISPO YEILDS ABUNDANCE OF PERSONAL RECORDS–Oct. 25
In the Eagle’s best outing of the year, eleven athletes improved on their personal records at the Laguna Lake Invitational in San Luis Obispo, Oct. 25.

“We had a wonderful retreat weekend as well as a fantastic race by the athletes,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore. “This was the first time that eleven athletes had personal records because of the fast course, great weather, and the rest day on Friday.”

Team captains Doug Daniel (16:52) and Janae Ford (22:02) each ran personal records to motivate their respective teams.

“Doug and Janae ran huge personal records today,” Gilmore said. “In running so fast, they now have the confidence to be in the top five at the league meet and in the top twenty percent for the Division five valley meet.”

Daniel ran in the front pack of 7 for the first 2 miles, running out of his mind with a 10:40- 30 seconds faster than his best 2-mile track time.

Ford out-sprinted a Liberty opponent to finish in 15th place, and earn her second medal of the season.

“This was the first meet that Janae did not feel sore and tired from training so hard,” Gilmore said. “It definitely made a difference in her overall time.”

Will Gonzales, ’11, improved by 6 minutes 32 seconds to earn most improved honors, and fellow sophomore Frank Daniel came in second by improving by 4 minutes 5 seconds.

Kailee Maxey, ’09, voiced the opinion of most of the Eagles’ team when commenting on the squads first overnight trip in it’s second season as a school sport.

“The trip was amazing,” Maxey said. “We had the meet, and then got to hang out out at the beach, watch High School Musical 3, and go out to eat. It was a great opportunity to get to know each other outside of practice.”

The Eagles will next compete at the John Seaman/Kingsburg Invitational at the Kingsburg Gun Club on Oct. 30.

HOT TEMPERATURES PRODUCE HIGHER TIMES
The Eagles returned to Woodward Park for the second consecutive week to compete in the Roughrider Invitational, Oct. 17.

“It was a great day considering the hard week of practice and the hotter than normal temperatures,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “As we get closer to the League Championships and State Qualifier, we will start to taper so we can peak at those meets.”

In other words, the Eagles will run their best only when it is expected of them as they get closer to the big meets.

Though their times turned out slightly higher across the board, 2 Eagles (Frank Daniel, ’11, and Kayla Haydock, ’10) ran personal bests.

Daniel finished the 3.1 mile course in 21:52- 8 seconds better than the Oct. 10 meet on the same course.

“Frank had an extremely hard week just like the others but he found a way to improve his time from last week on this difficult course,” Gilmore said. “As a sophomore, he has really stepped it up and is running like a varsity athlete.”

Once again the day’s best time was run by Doug Daniel, ’10, whose 18:43 turned out to be good enough for 47th place out of 116 athletes. Tyler Graham ran a 20:15 to finish second on the boy’s team in 71st place.

In the varsity girl’s race, Haydock’s 29:42 put her in 80th place out of 111 athletes in her first meet since returning from heath issues.

“Kayla has had a lot of difficulties with her health and school, but she has not quit and still strives to help the team out in every way possible,” Gilmore said. “I was very proud of her running under 30 minutes for the first time on this course, because it was her first time running 3.1 miles.”

Captain Janae Ford got the fastest girl’s time for the Eagles with her 24:53 54th place finish, and Rachel Wilhelm, ’11, ran a 28:16 to come in second on the team and 74th out of 111 athletes.

The Eagles will next compete at the Laguna Lake Invitational in San Luis Obispo on Oct. 25.

EAGLES COME HOME TO WOODWARD, Oct. 10
After starting off with smaller meets early, FC entered their most competitive race of the year: the Clovis Invitational at Woodward Park, Oct. 10.

Across the board the meet saw the Eagles greatly improve their personal records. The biggest improvement came from Chelsea Shuman, ’10, who cut nearly 10 minutes from her previous time on the course.

“This meet was one of my best so far this season,” Shuman said. “It was very hard pushing through the last mile, but my teammates helped me finish strong.”

The feat did not go unnoticed by head coach Ericlee Gilmore who threw his arms up in celebration when Shuman crossed the finish line.

“I am most surprised by Chelsea today,” Gilmore said. “By running with Tatiana (Fontes ’10) the whole race, they both went faster than I ever thought they could. Our girls’ team as a whole is moving into a position that could make us very competitive in the league championships.”

After running a 5:31 first mile, Doug Daniel, ’10, brought home FC’s best time of the day: a personal record 17:51. The winner of the race, Jake Jeanson, ’09, of Woodcrest Christian, ran a 15:37.

Senior Tyler Graham’s personal record 19:50 proved to be a first step good enough to finish ahead of an Exeter opponent whom he had battled the entire race.

“I didn’t realize he was that close to me,” Graham said. “I saw his shadow on the ground about forty feet from the finish line, and knew it was time to speed up.”

Although he did not place at the top in the race, Graham’s determination to finish before the Exeter opponent motivated his teammates.

“It was so encouraging for the rest of the team when Tyler did that in the race,” junior Kailee Maxey said. “It showed us how we need to do our very best at every race and that we can do more than we think.”

EAGLES GRIND OUT TIMES AT EASTMAN LAKE, Oct. 4
Despite slower times due to the hill dominated Eastman Lake course, FC stuck it out in Madera.

Though two athletes did not attend the meet, the Eagles had a full team (5 athletes) for the first time this season.

“The course was a very challenging 3.1 mile track with a all-uphill first mile,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “Since it was in the foothills, the intake of oxygen was less as well. At the of the race, everyone agreed it was the hardest race they have ever done.”

Doug Daniel, ’10, led the team and won a medal for 9th place despite his worst time of the season?20:00 flat. Tyler Graham, ’09, finished in 38th with a time of 23:33.

Newly-crowned homecoming queen Janae Ford turned in a time of 27:36 to claim 16th place. Rachel Wilhelm (29:58) took 24 to finish second on the team behind Ford.

“Rachel ran varsity and placed second on our team,” Gilmore said. “She has greatly improved from last trace season to now, and I am really proud of her.”

RUNNER JUST MISSES OUT ON FIRST WIN, Sept. 23
Although they only raced 5 runners last year in the Firebaugh Invitational, FC returned this year with a full team, ready to tackle the 3.1 mile sand/gravel course.

“This was a super meet,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “I would say it was our most successful meet so far including last season. Out of the eight runners that competed five won medals.”

Doug Daniel, ’10, ran a season-best 18:09, finishing in second place-only 13 seconds behind champion Ryan McCready of Sierra.

A short exchange between the pair took place as they rounded out the opening mile.

McCready turned to his opponent, and let him know their pace was too fast for the 3.1 mile race. The comment spurred a Daniel chuckle, however he would pay for his fast start in the near future.

“Since Doug was running so fast, his stomach revolted and he started to dry heave,” Gilmore said. “This made him lose his pace, and he started to lurch and weave in and out.”

With only the last 100 meters to go, the FC standout lost a slim lead to McCready, and grinded hard just to finish the race.

“I was just thinking ‘Don’t lose to the guy behind you,'” Daniel said. “I actually felt pretty good about the race because I got was very happy to get 2nd place. I just kept telling myself to keep running.”

The rest of the boys team seemed to feed off Daniel’s effort. First-year senior Tyler Graham sprinted in the final 200 meters for 15th place and his first medal of the season, as Clark Jacobson, ’10, and Frank Daniel, ’11, achieved personal records.

The drama was not as intense for the girls team in the Firebaugh meet. Janae Ford received 9th place after a 24:55, in her return to the team after a week as a counselor at Calvin Crest. Kailee Maxey also served as a counselor, however she did not attend the meet.

A medal winner at the Hanford meet, Rachel Wilhelm, ’11, finished in 18th place, Chelsea Shuman 20th, and Tatiana Fontes 24th.

By utilizing unorthodox running techniques, Daniel sets himself apart from the rest of the team.

“Most races I try to bluff my fellow competitors into thinking I am faster than I really am,” Daniel said. “By building a huge lead on another runner I try to make them give up and not realize that they are just as fast as I am.”

How much influence the junior leader’s techniques will have on the team, is yet to be seen as the Eagles transition into the 2nd half of their season.

EAGLES GRAB SHARE OF MEDALS, Sept. 19
The Hanford Invitational proved to be a success for FC, as it saw their best athlete, and two others claim their first medals of the year.

Going around the mostly sand-covered course in 19:02 and earning fourth place was Doug Daniel, ’10. The running phenom broke off the starting line in fourth place, and held his ground the entire way, finishing strong toward the end of the race.

“It was a tough course with loose dirt, and many small hills,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “I am most proud of our medal winners because that honor motivates an athlete to keep working hard in practice.”

Daniel’s first-year teammates Rachel Wilhelm (17:47) and Chelsea Shuman (18:43) also received medals after finishing in fifth and tenth respectively in their 2 mile races.

“Both Rachel and Chelsea have worked very hard these last two weeks,” Gilmore said. “I was very happy that both of them got a medal.”

FC IMPROVES TIMES IN KINGSBURG, Sept. 13
After a week of running though neighborhood blocks, up and down hills at Woodward Park, and even down Cedar Street to Jamba Juice, the Eagles put forth a strong performance in Kingsburg, Sept. 13.

Unlike the usual 3.1 mile race, the course covered only 2 miles-the only such race on FC’s ’08 schedule.

“I would say everyone surprised themselves today in how well they ran,” head coach Ericlee Gilmore said. “This was a great day for our team.”

Once again the Eagles were headed by Doug Daniel, ’10, who went out in 11:44 and finished in 37th place out of 97 runners. Despite a swollen knee from an accident at the FC-Stoneridge Christian football game the night before, Daniel still beat his time from last year’s Kingsburg meet.

Providing competition for Daniel in his first ever meet was newcomer Tyler Graham, ’09, with a solid time of 12:11. Because the individual race was divided by age category, the Eagles top 2 runners did not compete in the same race.

“It was exciting to see Tyler run in his first cross-country race,” Gilmore said. “He sprinted with the best runners and was actually in 1st place for the first 200 yards. He will learn how to race better in the future and not go out so fast.”

Team captain Janae Ford came up with the best time for the FC girls running a 14:54. Kailee Maxey followed not far behind, coming in at 15:32, in only her second meet ever.

“Janae learned from her experience last year and started slow this time,” Gilmore said. “She then picked up her pace and started to pass runners one by one.”

EAGLES HANG TOUGH IN FIRST MEET, Sept. 3
The 2nd year cross country team started off their season at Woodward Park at the Highlander Invitational, Sept. 3.

With 100