Seniors practice courage, reliability in drama class

image2
[/media-credit] Senior Nicole Hudecek, left, always wanted to dress up as a Disney Princess for Halloween . Every year her parents would get her a new princess costume and she got her wish as a young student.

Childhood drama students share growth and experiences

With the school year already in the second quarter, drama students have been diligently working for their upcoming play. As the performance is approaching quickly, the students must memorize their lines, in hopes for a good show. Two students in particular, Nicole Hudecek, ’16 and Tyler Seller, ’16, have been doing drama ever since they were little.

Nicole Hudecek, ’16, started drama when she was 11 years old. She says she listened to her cast mates’ advice to keep going and has done drama ever since.

“I started drama when I was 11,” Hudecek said. “My first production was Fiddler on the Roof  and I played the dead grandmother. I had to channel a voice for her and it was so hard, and embarrassing. I was not happy with the role initially, but I continually received encouragement from the girls in grades ahead of me. It led me to eventually break out of my shell, and grow in my skills in a comfortable environment.”

Currently the role of White in the upcoming FC play, Hudecek feels that drama’s atmosphere differs from any academic class.

“Every person has their own unique skill,” Hudecek said. “Drama is definitely mine. It’s who I am and it’s a place where I can bloom. I encourage people to join drama because the environment is unlike any academic atmosphere. It’s silly, goofy and it’s a time where you can be yourself. Drama is different because there has to be the desire to become better. You must understand that you are the actual character and it’s your job to figure out how to interpret that for the audience and yourself.”

Starting drama in 7 grade, Tyler Sellers, ’16, says he likes the silliness that comes in drama.

[/media-credit] Tyler Sellers, ’16, has been participating in drama since the 7th grade. He enjoys the silliness and care free atmosphere of the class.

“I performed in a church performance as a kid and was in drama in 7th grade,” Sellers said. “I like how goofy and silly I can be in drama. No one judges you, people will only laugh with you. I don’t like memorizing lines because it’s difficult, but that’s a part of drama.”

Sellers took drama in hopes to escape his comfort zone and now gives some advice to anyone taking drama.

“I started taking drama because last year I told myself I’ll get out of my comfort zone,” Sellers said. “What makes drama fun is you can think on your feet and conquer some fears of embarrassment. The best advice I could give someone about drama is don’t give up and do your best. Take in good criticism, apply it and practice it. Even if you don’t get the lead role, don’t give up and never settle. Come back the next time and do even better at the next audition.”

English and drama teacher Kyle Dodson, is looking forward to the upcoming play and is excited to see his students give 100 percent.

“The upcoming play is a production of two, one acts,” Dodson said. “One is directed by myself and the other is by student Kiaya Hargis. One is a parody on dystopian future, young novel. The other one is a year in the life of several seniors going through high school problems. I am really looking forward to the upcoming play. The entire class is sinking their teeth into the production and jumping in whole heartedly. I am really excited to see how many students are willing to step up and put themselves in 100 percent.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/231120857″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

With the drama production quickly approaching, students are in a rush to memorize their lines and assignments. The production will last approximately 90 minutes, and will take place on December 11 at 7:30.

For articles about last year’s drama production, read Drama prepares The Gift of the Magi.

For another features article read AP biology students collaborate with UC Merced.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email @[email protected]