Art competition rewards talent

Students with sweaty palms and crossed fingers sit nervously as they await the announcement of awards at the Associated Christian Schools International (ACSI) art festival, held on May 8.

At this year’s exhibition three campus students received plaques for best in show.

“Many of the other teachers were very impressed with our school’s performance,” Sharon Scharf, art teacher, said. “The art teacher from Stoneridge Christian High School was so impressed that she said she will come visit from Merced next fall to see what we do here.”

Competition was fierce, with seven schools participating.

“I was extremely pleased with our students,” Scharf said. “Considering the quality of work at the festival, it was a great honor to have so many of our students be awarded. They had a great deal of competition from the six other schools.”

One campus student awarded best in show was Sarah Fisher, ’06, who competed in the sophomore category.

“My painting depicts a sunflower in the early morning with a butterfly landing in the center,” Fisher said. “I am really honored to have won; the competition was tough to win in my division since I was running against so many other students.”

Meghan Joy, ’07, felt that the small size of her freshman division aided in her win.

“My painting was a sketch of a girl with some flowers,” Meghan Joy, ’07, said. “It was titled simply, ?Drawing Of A Girl’. I felt that is was fairly easy to win since so few freshmen entered the contest.”

For some students, art is more than a class; it is an expression of self and feeling.

“I love painting,” Se Na Lee, ’04, said. “Since English isn’t my first language I often can’t express my feelings, but with painting I can show everyone how I feel. Mrs. Scharf has encouraged me in art class to express my feelings through my work.”

Lee won the senior best in show award for her untitled painting of a tree reflected in a jungle pond.

For more information about the campus art program, contact Scharf at 299-1695, ext. 159.