Finals test cumulative knowledge

The count down continues. With each passing day graduation draws closer and closer. However, one last obstacle still remains before school is out for summer. Finals week is just around the corner for seniors, running from May 10-11. For the underclassmen finals last three days, from May 17-19.

“We’ve done a finals week for the past 25 years,” Principal Gary Schultz said. “I evaluate last year’s schedule, and if it needs improving we alter it. You don’t want to reinvent the wheel; you just want to grease it and oil it a little bit to make it better.”

The faculty and staff create unique finals to keep students working until the end of the year. For underclassmen finals continue until the day before graduation. However, there are some exceptions to the rule.

“In my class I usually exempt students who have a 95% or higher from taking the final,” Robert Foshee, Bible teacher, said. “I also like to give my students some extra time to review the material before going into the final.”

Seniors continue taking their finals up until they leave for the senior trip, beginning May 12.

“I’m really excited about finals week,” Morgan Rigby, ’04, said. ” I only have to take one or two finals and then I’m out of here.”

During race to the finish of the school year students may succumb to spring fever. Common symptoms may include not putting forth full effort and doing only the work that is needed to get by. However, Principal Schultz urges campus students to continue working hard up until the end of the year.

“We want to finish the race,” Principal Schultz said. “People may want to give up, but they need to finish strong. Fight the good fight. Do not fade away on the final stretch. I still have some individuals come and talk to me with regret about how they gave up in the few last weeks of their senior year.”

For more information regarding finals week schedule contact Principal Schultz at 299-1695, ext. 127.