Day of prayer unites nation

With clasped hands and bowed heads, souls plead their requests before heaven. Each year, people around the country join together to honor the National Day of Prayer. This year was no different as Christians gathered to pray on May 6.

The National Day of Prayer began in 1952 when President Truman signed into law a bill making the prayer- day official; it passed unanimously in Congress. According to the bill, each year the President must choose a day for the National Day of Prayer.

Principal Gary Schultz believes that with turmoil enveloping the world, prayer is a vital tool that students should take part in.

“We need to help students recognize that we don’t live in isolation,” Schultz said. “Because of communications and travel, the world is a small place. It [National Day of Prayer] allows us to realize that we’re a part of God’s greater domain.”

Some believe that students should partake in the day of prayer for reasons suggested in the name of the day.

“I think students should participate because our nation needs prayer,” Carina Moran, ’05, said. “It’s awesome for us to take our needs to God.”

The day serves only as a reminder, not a stipulation, to pray.

“I prayed throughout the day and just brought any needs to God,” Moran said. “You can pray about anything like God’s will and for others.”

Although prayer is part of everyday life on campus, Schultz thinks students should partake in events like National Day of Prayer.

“At Fresno Christian, we have an advantage of having prayer all the time,” Schultz said. “We should take advantage of it. We need to surround the school with prayer.”

The day of prayer reminds people across the country to pray for many things, including the fight for peace.

“Ever since 9/11, the world is a different place,” Schultz said. “We need to all be praying together. It’s a violent world. We need to seek a time of peace.”

For more information of the National Day of Prayer, visit www.prayerfoundation.org/national_day_of_prayer_usa.htm, www.gospelcom.net/npc or www.nationaldayofprayer.org/.