CSF ventures downtown

A long line of people stood in anticipation for a meal prepared for them by volunteers. The aroma of potatoes and steamed meat seemed to keep them orderly. Church groups, school organizations and even business employees often serve food as a way to help their community.

The campus California Scholastic Federation [CSF] offered an opportunity for students to complete the needed community service by serving dinner at the Poverello House on April 19.

“I did this community service because I think CSF students should be more involved in the community,” Ellen King, CSF adviser, said. “CSF is just not an academic group, but it is also involved in service.”

CSF looked for students who were willing to take time out of their evening to serve others.

“It was kind of scary when we drove down to the Poverello House, but when we started to serve it became fun,” April Chapple, ’06, said. “I am glad I served because I feel like I did something good for others.”

The community service was open to non-CSF students because not enough members signed up to serve.

“I wanted to help serve dinner because I needed community service, but I also wanted to help others,” Lindsey Brush, ’06, said. “Not enough people do community service, and I think it is good that our school requires it.”

Students who helped serve dinner received two hours of service towards the requirement of five hours due the last week of school before finals.

“CSF doing community service is a very positive thing,” Greg Page, dean of men, said. “I would like to see the whole school take off two days of school to do community service.”

For more information about CSF, students and parents can e-mail King at [email protected],

To help serve breakfast, lunch or dinner at the Poverello House call 559-498-6988 for information.