Innovation revolutionizes classroom

In the current technology craze, new cars, video games and computers are created every day. However, few of these technological revolutions ever reach the classroom. Bucking this trend, Smart Technologies has developed a new, interactive white board, the “Smart Board.”

The Smart Board is on the cutting edge of classroom technology. Its marker-less, eraser-less design enables teaching to be more organized, exciting and invigorating for students.

“The new technology of the Smart Board is incredible,” Superintendent Tim Wilkins said. “It was built for teachers, not for corporations. I think it could provide an incredible boost in our classrooms.”

Students, as well as teachers, are impressed with the new advances in education.

“I heard that teachers can record their lectures on the board and then the lessons will be posted online,” Clinton Jeffries, ’04, said. “That would be pretty cool if teachers could actually do that.”

The Smart Board is able to capture a teacher’s lecture just like a video/audio recorder would. The teacher is then able to post parts of the lecture online at the school’s website so students can go back and review.

The Smart Board serves as a computer, TV, whiteboard and overheard projector all in one. Although funding is not completed, Wilkins plans to promote the Smart Board and hopefully raise enough money in order for each teacher to have access to a board.

“I saw the future of what our school could be in this board,” Superintendent Wilkins said. “I can’t imagine building a state of the art school without state of the art technology.”

For more information on the Smart Board, visit www.smarttech.com.