Chloe Soto shares unique, graceful hobby

20151120-ChloeSoto1
[/media-credit] Junior Chloe Soto  junior started ballet when she was three years old.

Grandmother initially trains junior in ballet

Different hobbies are found everywhere in the world today. Whether it is sports, dance or cooking, or even collecting stamps or origami, most people have a hobby that calls to them.

Junior Chloe Soto took an interest in ballet at a very young age and has progressed as a ballerina since then. Along with taking ballet, Soto also teaches the younger generations in this exquisite art form.

Ballet originated during the Renaissance in the 15th century. By 1681 ballet moved to stage performances, and by the mid 1700s ballet stood as an art form. Ballet dancers must be fit, strong and flexible in order to perform to their maximum capacity. These dancers take classes every day to hone their bodies and perfect their technique.

Starting ballet since she was three Soto learned from her grandmother and took ballet classes in their very own studio.

“When I was three years old I lived in Germany,” Soto said. “My grandmother wanted me to take some classes in ballet. We had a studio down the street and that is where I started.”

Ballet is art created from the movement of the body. Performed on stage, ballet can either tell a story or share a thought or emotion. Ballet has many different kinds of styles. There is the classical style; which focuses upon graceful movements, and then there is the story ballet; which conveys a plot with characters and narrative action.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/233944849″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

With years of hard work, Soto was given the chance to teach ballet. Her teacher created an interest in teaching and eventually took Soto to assist in one of her classes. 

“The director of my studio introduced me to teaching,” Soto said. “I was about 14 when she took me to assist with one of her classes. Ever since then, I have been teaching ballet. I think teaching ballet helps you see it from a different perspective of what the dancer actually has to go through to perfect his or her skills.”

Soto is unsure whether or not she wants to pursue ballet as a lifetime career. Ballet in the US is a risky pursuit, as American ballerinas are more unsure of their financial success in comparison to their European counterparts.

20151120-ChloeSoto2
[/media-credit] Ballerinas constantly train to hone their bodies and minds for their performances.

“Ballet is such a risky career,” Soto said. “If I still lived in Europe, I would definitely want to make ballet a lifetime career. A career for a ballerina in the US does not even come close to having the benefits that they have in Europe.”

Although she has already been accepted to a variety of ballet schools, Soto still hopes to be accepted into the School of American Ballet.

“I have studied in European schools along with schools in the United States,” Soto said. “My favorite school is the School of American Ballet, (SAB). I have been accepted to many schools, but I would love to be accepted into the SAB.”

Chloe Soto will perform in a variety of plays in the near future. Her first performance will take place during the Thanksgiving weekend where she will be performing in Waltz of the Flowers in the Nutcracker Ballet at the Saroyan. She will perform again in December where she will dance as the part of Kitri in the Don Q ballet.

Over 100 local dancers will perform alongside professionals from the Sacramento Ballet and Fresno Ballet Theatre and the Valley Performing Arts Council are hosting The Nutcracker at the William Saroyan Theater, Nov. 28 and 29,  at 1 p.m. Central California Ballet will also be presenting The Nutcracker at Saroyan Theater on Dec. 12 and 13.

For another profile, read Jeremiah Sieperda excels in new environment.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.