Baseball squeaks into playoffs

While most of the baseball team was enjoying the luxury of the senior trip in San Francisco, the others were full of anxiety as their playoff hopes rested on Riverdale’s shoulders.

Fortunately for the campus team, Riverdale lost to Liberty on May 12, giving the Eagles the eighth seed in the upcoming Sierra Division playoffs.

The boys’ West Sierra League [WSL] record of 7-7 was barely good enough to qualify for the postseason, where the boys will meet top-seeded and defending valley champion Templeton on May 18.

Templeton is expected to be a challenge for the Eagles, according to head coach Jon Hall.

“”Templeton definitely presents a difficult challenge,”” Hall said. “”Our performance really depends on which team shows up. If we play like we have lately, then we can definitely give them a good game. We hit their ace well last year so I expect our team to perform well.””

The boys season initially looked lost as they struggled to a 3-7 record in WSL play through March and April. However, the boys exploded in May, closing out league play with four straight wins to propel the team into the playoffs.

According to senior pitcher Tyler Wiebe, the boys’ winning streak has given them renewed confidence leading into the playoffs.

“”We have played really well lately so we are confident,”” Wiebe said. “”I know we can beat Templeton as long as we play as a team. It should be a good game and lots of fun.””

The boys will travel to Templeton on May 18 with the first pitch at 4:30 P.M.