Powder puff to seize the football field, Nov. 20

[/media-credit] Powder puff, which gives girls the opportunity to compete on the football field, will be taking place, Nov. 20.

Powder puff is a football competition between the girls of each high school class. This event, taking place Nov. 20, gives the ladies a chance to show what they can do to hopefully snag the first place prize.

Powder puff takes not only female participants, but a team is also put together by a few coaches and the cheerleaders.

Senior Oliva Quebe has participated in powder puff every year since freshman year. She looks forward to playing this year and coming together with Maddie Luginbill and the rest of her teammates.

The biggest thing I’m looking forward to is being able to play with all the girls in my class, especially Maddie Luginbill,” Quebe said. “She and I are the dynamic duo when it comes to powder puff. I love football and powder puff because this is the one time during the year when the girls are able to play.”

Powder puff sparks rivalries between the classes and leads to entertaining and exciting games. This year, powder puff was moved from the spring to the fall. It gives FC the chance to spread out its events and keep each month as exciting as the next.

Trevor Trevino, ‘17, likes the change because he believes it keeps the football energy going.

“It’s a good thing,” said Trevino. “I think that having powder puff in the fall is good because it keeps the football energy going. The only downside is that it takes an event off from the second semester and there aren’t that many events going on.”

Regardless of the change the coaches are still as excited as ever to hopefully lead their team to the championship. The feeling of besting the other classes in a game of football draws the coaches to working hard.

Freshman coach Griffin Schmidt sets the bar at a reasonable goal knowing that a first year team needs time to build chemistry.

“I am looking forward to and hoping that we win at least one game,” Schmidt said. “I don’t want to be in last place. It is going to take a lot of patience to coach this team especially since we are freshman and the girls have to start from scratch.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/233360670″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

For a powder puff team coaching and playing are two of the most difficult factors. But cheerleading takes difficulty to a whole new level. Boys who have no training in cheerleading take on the task of raising their team’s spirits.

Junior Phillip Christopher has answered the call of cheerleading and has had success cheering in the past with his other classmates. He enjoys cheering and has favorite memories from this event.

[/media-credit] This year, for the first time, all interested boys are joining together to form one large cheer team.

“I think it’s hilarious and super fun cheering for all our girls,” Christopher said. ”My favorite thing is that the guys get the opportunity to dance and be crazy in front of everyone. My favorite moment from cheering was my sophomore year when we made a conga line and danced up and down the sidelines.”

Many students enjoy powder puff because it reverses the roles of the guys and girls but still provides an enjoyable event. This year powder puff will be Nov. 20. There will be a snack bar provided by FC Ensemble. Come out to see the high school battle it out for a championship.

For more information on Powder puff read this article.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email: Julian Castro.