BRIEF: Student enters in local art competition

Tulips by Belmont
[/media-credit] Allard’s art has been in business since 1975 and has been displaying high school fine art student art from The Big Fresno Fair. Junior Sydney Belmont’s Tearing Tulips watercolor won 2nd place at the fair.

Allard’s Art began as a business in Fresno in 1975 and has been displaying high school fine art and student art from The Big Fresno Fair since then. One of the entrees this year is Sydney Belmont, ’17, who has been painting for four years and plans to continue her work.

Belmont entered a watercolor called ‘Tearing Tulips’. The painting was inspired by a video Belmont had seen online and she decided to recreate it.

“When I first saw this video I thought it was the prettiest piece I had seen,” Belmont said. “I was looking online for something to paint for Mother’s Day and that was what I found. Painting watercolor can be difficult at some points because sometimes the color will bleed the wrong way or you have too much water. This painting was fairly easy because all those mistakes turned out to be what really made up the picture.”

This painting is one of Belmont’s favorite pieces. The main subject that her paintings have been on is flowers; never has the picture been so elegant.

Belmont has always looked up to Sharon Scharf. the Fresno Christian art teacher. During class one of the projects for the room was working watercolors. Once Belmont had began to understand the art, she was enthralled by it.

“Mrs. Scharf has always been my mentor in art, she was always willing to let me borrow her supplies in order for me to get better,” Belmont said. “Almost everyday when I was still taking the class she would give me more tips and more ideas. I love the work that she does and how much she has helped me.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/235661576″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Editor-in-chief Rees Roggenstein interviews art teacher Sharon Scharf about her art classes and Allard’s Art competition that Belmont has entered into.

Sharon Scharf has been an art teacher in the education system for a number of years and finds fulfillment through her work.

“I have been teaching art for 27 years now,” Scharf said. “I feel like I can make an impact on students that academic teachers may not be able too. People can be reached through art better than through teaching I think, they can really excel in something like art.”

Allard’s holds an art competition where students may win prizes. Belmont was selected for the competition and hopes to win, please go to store to vote for your favorite piece. Allard’s in located at 5350 N Blackstone Ave Fresno, CA 93710.