Back-to-School Night draws intrigued parents

First impressions often make or break a reputation. Teachers fought to make a good impression in each of their classes during the ten minutes they were given to present at Back-to-School Night on Aug. 30.

Back-to-School Night equips parents with a better understanding of what their student(s) will be learning during the year, as well as allowing them to meet the teachers who will be teaching them.

“The purpose [of Back-to-School Night] is to introduce the teachers and parents,” Principal Gary Schultz said. “About 50 percent of the parents have no occasion to meet the teachers, and this is the only time they come in.”

With eight new teachers this year, even parents who had attended in past years were intrigued enough to participate.

“The older the student gets, the less the parents come,” Schultz said. “With four new teachers, the parents want to meet them. Parents of freshmen and new parents turn out in large numbers.”

Tracy Jones, P.E. instructor, wanted parents to feel comfortable with students being in her class.

“My goal was to let parents know, since I’m kind of new here, how the class is run,” Jones said. “They need to know what to expect as far as grades go and what my expectations are. I wanted to give them a good feeling of who I am.”

Jones thinks parents need to come to understand the layout of the year.

“Parents should come to know what their child will be doing throughout the year,” Jones said. “So, when their kids are struggling, they will already know the teacher.”

Julie Wills, President of PSN [Parent Support Network] and mom of Mikey Wills, ’06, likes to see parents become drawn to serve.

“My goal for Back-to-School Night is to get to know the parents and gain exposure for PSN,” Wills said. “We want to see more parents involved in ministry. We [PSN] are there to serve the school. We want to get as many parents involved as we can.”

Wills believes parents should attend not just to meet the teachers.

“Parents should come to know the teachers, but also to get to know other parents,” Wills said. “They should come to find a place where they might be able to serve. We [PSN] are there to support the teachers and school in any way we can.”

Uncertainty plays a role in the level of stress that goes into the night.

“You don’t know for sure how the year will go,” Schultz said. “You don’t know the students yet. You want it to be special and worthwhile.”

Assurance was the key topic Jones wanted to convey to the parents attending her class.

“I wanted the parents to feel confident that their kid was in a good class,” Jones said. “They aren’t going to get picked on or torn down. They’re in good place.”

Though insignificant to most students, administration places an emphasis on Back-to-School Night.

“I met with the teachers three times,” Schultz said. “Fifty to sixty percent of the parents will come, listen and decide if someone is a good or bad teacher in a 10-minute class.”

For more information on upcoming student events, visit the Eagle Eye news calendar at www.thefeather.com or call the high school office at (559) 299-1695, ext. 125.