Lunch welcomes new faces

Some students smile while others brush past in giggling groups. The crinkled, smudgy white paper covered with classroom numbers and faceless names begins to blur from rapt concentration.

The tiny numbers on the tops of doors seem to swirl; none of them seem to match the fuzzy numbers on the paper as the hallways are jammed with students.

Yet newcomers on campus found a familiar place after fourth period; many ate together surrounded by their fellow “newbies” at the new student lunch provided by student leadership on Aug. 31.

“I think this lunch brings forth unity,” Carina Moran, ’05, said. “It helps the new kids become familiar with their surroundings. It’s also a great time for them to get to know one another.”

Each year student leadership reaches out to welcome new students with their annual luncheon. Friendship-building games and free food entice students to make new friends and join the campus family.

“My parents said it would be a good opportunity to be an exchange student and I am happy I came,” Christof Schnur, ’06, German exchange student, said. “The teachers and students have been very friendly and my host family [Rick and Debra Elmore] have supported me and been great so far.”

Josh Tosland, student leadership adviser, believes in the importance of helping new students adjust.

“We have many new faces on campus,” Tosland said. “It’s a great way to welcome them to the family. They get to meet other people, begin friendships and build relationships.

Thirty new students attended the lunch and despite the free food, found the attention somewhat overwhelming.

“The lunch made me feel really odd, but welcome,” Sam Grizz, ’07, said. “The people seemed overly nice, but I guess that’s a good thing.”

Free food often creates a draw for students and a reason to get together.

“I went for the free food,” Kevin Gibes, ’05, said. “I already have some friends here, but I guess it would be nice if they introduced me to others or something; I mainly just went for the food.”

The new student luncheon was held in the Jackie Johnson Room during lunch on Aug. 31. For more information, contact the high school office at (559)- 299-1695, ext. 125.