Dress code changes simplify rules

Beep? Beep?the dreaded moment arrives. Summer ends much too early for Sandy as she falls out of bed and bumps her head on the desk. Once she picks out her clothes, Sandy turns her gaze down towards her rack of shoes and contemplates: flip flops or sneakers?

Students’ morning routine is hindered by the constant struggle to find appropriate clothing that follows the campus dress code.

“The dress code is much simpler than it used to be,” Molly Sargent, dean of women, said. “The emphasis is right where it should be, on modesty and appropriate clothing for both girls and boys.”

Faculty agrees that modesty and safety are the key to appropriate attire on campus.

“The whole idea of the dress code is for students to be dressed appropriately and modestly at all times,” Principal Gary Schultz said. “We try not to have rules for rules’ sake; it’s the safety of the students that is important to us.”

Excluding slippers and cheaply made flip-flops (the ones with buttons that go through the bottoms), all shoes are acceptable this year. Girls may wear three earrings per ear, and denim shorts of the appropriate length are acceptable.

“I’m so glad that we are able to wear flip-flops now,” Nick Ramon, ’05, said. “It is so much easier, especially when I am running late; I can slip my feet into the shoes!””

Despite the changes, some students are still not satisfied.

“I just wish that if an inch of your stomach showed, it would not be such a big deal,” Amanda Dring, ’06, said. “I still like the dress code, it’s still tight, but I just wish it would not be that big of a deal.”

For more information regarding dress code, contact Sargent at 299-1695, ext. 150 or email her at [email protected].” “Brianna Stobbe, Photographer” “After shoe restrictions were updated at the beginning of the semester, students came dressed for the summer season in sandals. Here juniors Tara Albrechtson left to right, Rebecca Wilson, Kira Armbruster and Corrine Pogue, relax during lunch on Sept. 8.” “Brianna Stobbe, Photographer” “A photo foot fettish? The new dress code allows students to wear a variety of sandals.” “Insert text here