The world according to Yoko

What’s in a name? In ancient times parents gave names that indicated desired or perceived character traits of their children.

In Oriental countries, such as Japan, where Chinese writing (called character) is used, names have significance due to the inherent meaning of the Chinese character.

For instance, I’m from Japan, and the name Yoko (correctly romanized Yooko and pronounced Yoh-ko) can have various meanings.

My name has the meaning Ocean Child. My father chose that Chinese character because he wanted his daughter to have a heart big as the ocean.

A close friend, a pastor’s daughter, also has the name Yoko, but her name means Leaf Child. Her father chose the character “leaf” for “yo” of Yoko based on Psalm 1:3.

God’s promise to the individual who delights in the law of the LORD and meditates in His Word day and night is that he/she “shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water?whose leaf ? shall not wither, and whatever he/she does shall prosper.” Wow.

Another popular character for Yoko is Sunny Child. The Chinese character used indicates sunshine.

So what’s in YOUR name? What does your name mean? What dreams did your parents have for you? What dreams do you have for yourself? What dreams does God have for you?

God says in his word, “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine.” (Is. 43:1)