Eighth grade students partake in famed Constitution test

Annual Constitution test examines knowledge of government, memorization skills

20151211-fc-constitutiontest-001
[/media-credit] Eighth grade students geared up to test their study skills by taking the Constitution Test, Dec. 11.

As the seventh graders shift to eighth grade, the most important test awaits, the Constitution test. On Dec. 11, eighth graders will assemble together to take the infamous test. Notecards and study guides are reviewed repeatedly to cement as much knowledge before the night of the exam.

From the end of Oct. to Dec. the unit covers several subjects about the US government. Unlike other units throughout the year, junior high teacher, Hallie Rojeski, stresses this one more than others. This unit provides information about the foundation and principles from which our country is built on.

For many years that Rojeski has taught the Constitution, because it provides knowledge for students to learn about the government under which they live in.

“I feel that students should know about the basis of the government,” Rojeski said. “I want them to understand the importance of having the constitution and rights. It gives them the right to decide for themselves and what violates the constitution or not. If they don’t know the Constitution and why it is the way it is then they won’t know if their making the right decision or why their doing it.”

In Rojeski’s history class, a series of small quizzes and terms are learned in order to prepare for the test. In learning about US history, our nations Constitution becomes a prime document in our nations history.

I feel that students should know about the basis of the government. I want them to understand the importance of having the constitution and rights. It gives them the right to decide for themselves and what violates the constitution or not. If they don’t know the Constitution and why it is the way it is then they won’t know if their making the right decision or why their doing it. — Hallie Rojeski

Students are required to bring a binder with tabs and paper in order to create a formulized study tool for the test. Rojeski provides teaching and study guides but it is up to the student to step up to the plate. Even though this unit may be stressful, it prepares students for important finals coming up in high school.

Nathaniel Martin, ’20, stresses about the test due to the amount of knowledge and terms that need to be memorized.

“Actually I am very nervous,” Martin said. “There is a lot to study and I think that the handouts and note guides that she gives us are helpful. I am excited for the State Dinner provided afterwards because our hard work is recognized.”

For those who have taken the test in junior high, Maicy Luginbill, ’18, thinks back to when she prepared for the test.

“It was actually not really that hard because Mrs. Rojeski gave us note guides to study with,” Rojeski said. “There were study sessions available during lunch or after school, I thought those were very helpful. Because I made notecards and studied a lot by the time it came to the test I was prepared for it.”

While the test many be nerve racking to study for Kayla Vanderlinden, ’20, is excited to get it over with.

20151211-fc-constitutiontest-002
[/media-credit] Junior high teacher, Hallie Rojeski, provides students with study notes and sessions to prepare.

“You have to study a lot and flashcards help,” Vanderlinden said. “I am nervous and excited because the test takes up a lot of your grade but I also want to get it over with.”

Now that the test day is around the corner, students rush to gather notecards and study guides to cram in those last details. But with Rojeski’s note guides and lecture notes, students are set up and prepared for a successful grade on the test. The annual State Dinner will be provided to eighth graders after they have completed the test. Gentlemen are required to dress with slacks, collared shirts and ties while the ladies are to wear a skirt or dress to the dinner.

For more information on the tradition of the Constitution test, read Eighth grade constitution test.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JennyPenny8835 and via email: Jenny King.