Tennis anticipates consecutive championships

The color green . . . . symbolizes money to most, grass stains to some and for those dedicated to the sport, tennis. On the courts, tennis players battle against their greatest opponent: that fuzzy little green ball.

Ashley Sherr, ’06, ranked No. 1 on the tennis team, says her dad motivated her to start playing tennis.

“I’ve been playing for about three years,” Sherr said. “My dad played in high school and was really good, so he wanted me to play because he loves to watch tennis, especially me playing tennis.”

But Sherr’s dad has more than one tennis star to watch. Just one court away, the younger Sherr [Amanda, ’07], ranked No. 8 on the team, also touts her dad’s tennis abilities as leading her to tryout for the team.

“My dad played when he was younger and he was the best in the Valley,” Amanda Sherr, ’07, said. “He was even in a magazine so I thought that was pretty cool, and I’ve just always loved the game.”

Sibling rivalry is not evident between the two sisters and although there is competition between them, they support each other.

“I’m really proud of my sister [Amanda], for making varsity and it’s nice to hear her cheer for me and she likes it when I support her,” Ashley Sherr said. “I guess in most ways it’s a good thing she’s on the team with me, but I hate it when people call us twins!”

Although they have distinctive personalities, Amanda Sherr maintains similar feelings about her sister being on the team with her.

“I have to say I’m probably a bit more competitive with her out there playing with me,” Amanda Sherr said. “I feel the need to keep up with her, because we’re both involved in sports, so we’ve been competing our whole lives.”

Aside from the competition between sisters, the tennis team is getting ready for their battle on home courts against San Joaquin Memorial on Sept. 15.

Because Immanuel and Templeton are no longer in the team’s league, making it to the Valley Championship looks to be an easier task than in years before. However, the team looks forward to their non-league match against Memorial.

“I think we’ll surprise a lot of people,” George Freeman, girl’s tennis coach, said. “It [Fresno Christian vs. Memorial] will probably be one of our best matches and a good test to see how prepared we are for our regular season.”

As the captain of the team, Ashley Sherr is also optimistic about this season.

“We only lost two players last year, so the team isn’t much different,” Ashley said. “The team will miss Michelle [Smith, ’04], and Kathrine [Babcock, ’04], but I think we will win both league and Valley Championships again.”

Freeman believes Valley is a definite possibility.

“If the girls work hard, stay healthy, and play well, we should win Valley.”

For more information on tennis, go to United States High School Tennis Association at www.ushsta.com.

For a high school tennis schedule see the high school office or contact coach Freeman at 299-1695, ext. 122.