BRIEF: Girls basketball returns to the court

20151208-fc-girls-basketball-007
[/media-credit] FC girls basketball returns to the court for the second consecutive year.

FC girls basketball is returning again this year for another season of action. This is the second consecutive year that there will be a high school girls basketball team here at Fresno Christian, and the girls are looking to make the best of it. The team is still young and is looking to build a strong foundation for the team this season.

The girls have already put countless hours into preparing for their season, and have competed in both tournaments as well as non league games so far. These preseason games are the perfect way for the team to get a feel for the pace of the game.

This year is the first that Julia Fikse, ’19, will be playing basketball. Fikse knows that preseason games are great ways for new players like her to gain experience.

“I just need to work on my shooting more and just gain more experience,” Fikse said. “The tournaments helped me learn my position better and getting to know the team more. It has been really fun playing basketball and I am excited for the rest of the season.”

Whether they win or lose, these games provide much needed practice and experience for the young team. Now that the FC girls has a taste of what the competition is like, they will be able to fix any issues that the team may have.

I just need to work on my shooting more and just gain more experience. The tournaments helped me learn my position better and getting to know the team more. It has been really fun playing basketball and I am excited for the rest of the season. — Julia Fikse

This year the lady Eagles have a team with a majority of underclassmen. In fact, the team only has one upperclassmen as of now. However the girls don’t see this as a disadvantage, but instead as a great way to grow together as a group.

Julie Gosset, ’17, a multi-schooler who is this year’s only upperclassman, believes that having a young team is actually an advantage.

“I think that having a young team is an advantage for us,” Gosset said. “We have so many years ahead of us. We should be able to grow together and get better as a team.”

The girls are looking forward to their season with optimism. They know that they are a young team that will be able to learn from their mistakes.

This years team will be coached by Robert Foshee, who has coached the girls junior high team for three years. Foshee is looking to build a strong foundation this season that way FC will have a strong girls basketball team this year as well as the years to come.

[/media-credit] Coach Robert Foshee is hoping to build a strong foundation and lead the team to success.

“We have three things we are working on. They are working hard, competing and making a difference,” Foshee said. “That’s not only on the basketball court, but also with our school and with our families and different places. Our goal is to get better this year with each game and then to set the foundation for this year and the year after.”

Whatever the outcome of this season may be for the Lady Eagles, the girls are happy to be together as a team. Make sure you come out and support the girls basketball team this year.

Check out the Eagle’s schedule to see when you can come watch the next game.

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

For more sports, read Boys Soccer Sport Short: Tranquility.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/238139022″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]