Volleyball coach motivates players

For some sports teams an 10-4 record might appear satisfying. However, this year’s volleyball team seeks to improve their former record, while adding a league title to their collection of accolades.

“This season we plan to work hard and win league,” coach Larry Orender said. “I am proud of the hard work and dedication this team has put in. If we keep this up, we will win league this year.”

The team is led by Orender, who has returned to be the varsity coach after a hiatus of one year. Orender coached for Buchanan High School for six years, before to coming to this campus.

“I came to Fresno Christian because I knew one of the players,” Orender said. “At the time we needed a volleyball coach, and I am happy that I made the choice to stay.”

One of the returning varsity players is Kassy Batesole, ’06, who has played volleyball on the campus team for three years.

“Coach works us hard so that we are fully prepared for the season,” Batesole said. “I am really close with all the members of the team and we are all good friends.”

There are five returning varsity players.

“I am really thankful to be a senior this year,” Lindsey Martins,’05, said. “This team has really grown strong together under coach Orender’s leadership. He never gets negative, and I have great respect for him. I think he’s an awesome coach.”

For more information regarding volleyball, contact the high school office at 299-1695 ext. 5. Volleyball’s next home game is Sept. 28 against Liberty High of Madera beginning at 5 p.m.